96 7.3 LPOP symptoms

Fletch1961

Reaction score
Motor has 105k on it. When cold (phoenix mind you) it starts right away then dies in seconds, will start again but sputter and struggle to stay running at idle. Once warmed up truck runs great. Let sit for couple hours then same issue again. Have changed the CPS, ICP, new fuel pump filter all motorcraft parts. No resolution. Could this be a symptom of the LPOP going bad, seem to remember reading this somewhere. Good fuel pressure but oil seems to lag about 5 seconds to come up.

Magnum PD

Reaction score
What is the oil level in the High pressure oil reservoir when it won’t start?

Fletch1961

Reaction score
The oil in hpop is low. The problem is not it wont start, it starts everytime. It just starts then dies after a couple seconds. Then after 3rd time it stays running but sputters for a couple minutes and finally smooths out and runs great. Almost seems the oil is draining back out after sitting then when starts, hpop runs out because lpop is trying to fill it. I am thinking might be wear in lpop enough to cause the issue. Problem is it does not do it everytime, maybe every couple days or so.

I think I am going to just change the lpop out with a melling unit. Have heard good reviews on them.

Will let you know if that does the trick.

jschildm

Reaction score
Could be draining out of the HPOP. It seems like the LPOP is potentially doing its job if you crank a few times and then it stays running and is fine until it sits a while.

Latest posts

Members online