Losing coolant, white smoke, need input

LovinPSDs

Reaction score
So a friend has a 15’ that’s losing coolant. He said roughly a cup or 2 a day. What I know...

******d, street tunes, not run hard
Smokes (white) for about 30-40 seconds upon start up
Truck has 115k on it
I can’t remember if it a a full EGR ****** or block off

Does this sound like a HG issue? I didn’t think these trucks had problems with that, especially a mildly driven street tube truck.

So, where do we start? I don’t know much about the 6.7s other than they have proven to be pretty reliable. What’s goin on?

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Is the secondary system full? Seen a few intercoolers leak. If the egr coolers are still on the truck and all the piping hooked up, that could do it as well.

LovinPSDs

Reaction score
Talked with my friend after posting this, I believe the EGR cooler is completely removed.

I'm not sure on the secondary... I'm going to show my ignorance on the 6.7s for a second. Do they have two completely standalone cooling systems? So there is a primary and secondary fill? If so, it wouldn't make sense the main reservoir is low/needing refilled right?

Based on the amount of smoke at start up he's describing it has to be entering the motor somehow...

joebuck

Reaction score
Talked with my friend after posting this, I believe the EGR cooler is completely removed.

I'm not sure on the secondary... I'm going to show my ignorance on the 6.7s for a second. Do they have two completely standalone cooling systems? So there is a primary and secondary fill? If so, it wouldn't make sense the main reservoir is low/needing refilled right?

Based on the amount of smoke at start up he's describing it has to be entering the motor somehow...

Yes 2 radiators on these trucks, primary does the engine, and the secondary I believe does the trans cooler, fuel cooler,etc.etc. Basically everything else, check levels and see if 1 or both are low

LovinPSDs

Reaction score
Coolant loss is on the primary side.

Is there anything turbo related that could be consuming coolant? I find it very hard to believe he’s got a HG issue. Pouring whiting smoke for 30-45 seconds makes me concerned it’s consuming it though.

Word is he’s headed Dorian’s way to have it checked out so I guess we’ll see

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
The secondary degas is onthe passenger side mounted to the fan shroud, and as stated, yes they have 2 separate systems.

Does the smoke smell like coolant? Seen a few injectors hang causing smoke.

If the primary system is id dropping slightly, there are a couple places these like to leak, radiator and water pump being the 2 biggest. As you had said in your first post, head gaskets are rare on these. There is also a chance that a seal failed in the turbo, and it is taking water as well, as they have coolant running thru them. I have yet to see that, but i suppose it could happen.

Sportchassis06

Reaction score
Coolant loss is on the primary side.

Is there anything turbo related that could be consuming coolant? I find it very hard to believe he’s got a HG issue. Pouring whiting smoke for 30-45 seconds makes me concerned it’s consuming it though.

Word is he’s headed Dorian’s way to have it checked out so I guess we’ll see
Does it only smake after it is restarted,then clears up?

Latest posts

Members online