Thumping in intake and ticking in engine

gtn116

Reaction score
Hey guys, I've got an 06 F350. I recently had a missing issue that started on the way home from work, ran the cylinder contribution test and determined cyl 6 to be the issue. I drove it to work the next day (no other vehicle,) and on the way home it started a thumping noise in the intake and a ticking noise coming from the engine, only noticeable on accel. I changed the oil and also put an injector in cyl 6 thinking it would fix the miss. Are there any suggestions on what to look at next?

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Dig that oil filter out of the garbage and twist the ends off of it and spread it out, look for metallic flakes.

gtn116

Reaction score
I should probably also mention that the ticking came and went on the trip home, it's not like it did it all the time.

There was no glitter in the oil when I changed it either, I'll pull the filter apart and look at it tomorrow. It's cold and late right now.

I've been watching videos and it's nowhere near as bad as the bent push rod or broken rocker arm videos I've seen.

Last edited:

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Not yet. It's still actuating.

2 things will happen, rocker will eventually fall off and seal off your intake or exhaust for that cylinder. Or the lifter debris will tear up oil pump/front cover and you'll lose oil psi

gtn116

Reaction score
Last Friday I pulled it filter apart, and I found a little bit of metal in it. I'm currently trying to find a machine shop around me (central Ohio) that has done 6.0 work before. I'm basically planning on a stock rebuild with ARP studs and a stage 1 or 2 cam, nothing too crazy.

Reaction score
Last Friday I pulled it filter apart, and I found a little bit of metal in it. I'm currently trying to find a machine shop around me (central Ohio) that has done 6.0 work before. I'm basically planning on a stock rebuild with ARP studs and a stage 1 or 2 cam, nothing too crazy.

we have short blocks in stock ready to go.

gtn116

Reaction score

we have short blocks in stock ready to go.
What kind of pricing?

gtn116

Reaction score
Well, I got it torn out finally. It's definitely NOT what we thought... Turns out the valves kissed the pistons. The lifters look fine, the cam looks good. I don't know what the metal flakes came from yet, so that's a little odd.

Cylinder 6&8 both have valve marks. Cylinder 8 has massive piston damage from something getting in there and bouncing around. It ran fine until it didn't, and when it was missing, cylinder 6 was the only one low.

Any idea what the heck is going on here?
a7d2b9acecde2e0a3ccc4f49a20d42d8.jpg
ee972e4d6bc7a788ea37d1cf6c466d32.jpg
f642982162cff69b52243985976cdff1.jpg
da9d00259f34d02a99a21cd906a3d273.jpg
2d514556db89dd5019b334049f173f04.jpg

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
I wish your pictures were better.

Nothing is embedded into piston or head? Maybe check 8n exhaust manifold, turbo, down pipe, etc for the piece?

gtn116

Reaction score
I can't tell what is in cyl 8. That's not the cyl that was showing a miss though, that's what's messing with me. There's no damage in the turbo, so whatever it was has to be stuck in the piston. I'll check it out better and try to get better pictures tomorrow.

gtn116

Reaction score
Broken glow plug?
Look at the head pictures. All intact. I can't tell what it is, I'm going to check it with a magnet to see what it is, but I'd guess aluminum of some sort because it's smashed so flat.

webb06

Reaction score
Vacuum test the valves to see if they’re sealing on 6. What did you use to verify cylinder 6 was causing the miss?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gtn116

Reaction score
Vacuum test the valves to see if they’re sealing on 6. What did you use to verify cylinder 6 was causing the miss?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Scan tool with cylinder contribution test.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
In the picture of what i assume is #8 head, it looks like part of one of the intake valves broke off? Is that me seeing goofy chit, or does it actually look like that?

Outside intake valve at 12o clock.

Latest posts

Members online