Best headlights

kleake

Reaction score
I have painted my headlights several years ago, but the lenses are just getting in too bad of shape with spider cracking all over them. Upgraded to LED bulbs last year and they brightened things up where I can see where i'm going, but they blind other drivers. I'm looking to upgrade to something nicer looking, but most importantly I want something that WORKS! Who has some good aftermarket lights that function, and look good without breaking the bank?

sootie

Reaction score
No such thing. Get a good set of factory light and do projector retrofits.

kleake

Reaction score
I was afraid I would hear something like that. I'll have to look into the retrofits. I do like the way the projectors on our fusion and explorer work.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

dsberman94

Reaction score
I think the company is called retrofit source that I keep seeing. Not cheap but they seem to use high quality parts.

kleake

Reaction score
I really like those. Simple and effective, but yea, on the pricey side and I still need new housings. These look good, but I don't know how good they would be compared to OEM. Probably about the same for just the housing I would guess.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00V3P6AJ6/ref=psdc_318323011_t3_B00LBA6XZE?th=1
or
https://www.amazon.com/2008-2010-Su...automotive&vehicleId=4&vehicleType=automotive

Lots of choices for aftermarket here, but quality and light output I am sure is questionable: https://www.carid.com/2008-ford-f-250-headlights/?filter=1&sub-model[Factory%20Lights_opt][]=With+Factory+Halogen+Headlights
or
https://www.protuninglab.com/08fosu...x7-i2Gl9Uujo2mNrD2nMWGgxnKpaWbUsaAqkOEALw_wcB
or
https://freedomdieselperformance.co...naDaVwsHxGKHraqLsSudD42oRSQ55M7gaAm3JEALw_wcB

Reaction score
The ability of the light to do its job is 90% in the projector used for the retrofit.

I've been doing retrofits on all my vehicles since 2006. From experience, don't waste your money on something that doesn't use a tried and true projector. I always try to use OEM projectors, bulbs, and ballasts. However, the morimotto parts are getting better.

With your skill set, you could easily do this yourself. It takes some patience, but it can be done. However, you're still going to be $500 deep in parts alone. But you will a great light output that will outlast the truck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Diesel625

Reaction score
In my 09, I used morimoto mini h1 projectors and a 55watt 5k hid kit. Worked awesome. I found some retrofit ready unsealed headlights that made the process very easy.

kleake

Reaction score
From experience, don't waste your money on something that doesn't use a tried and true projector. I always try to use OEM projectors, bulbs, and ballasts. However, the morimotto parts are getting better.

When you mention using OEM projectors, are you pulling parts from salvage vehicles and using those? I've thought about this, but have never taken a projector headlight assembly apart to see what all was in them and if they could be used. I am sure it could be done that way, but my worry was always "would the beam be aimed even remotely close once done". I'm guessing that most of these mount in the assembly the same way, but not ever taking one apart I wasn't sure, and it's fairly expensive to find out. I did notice some moisture in one of my explorer headlights the other day so it looks like a good time to check it out and see how it's mounted in there.

Reaction score
When you mention using OEM projectors, are you pulling parts from salvage vehicles and using those? I've thought about this, but have never taken a projector headlight assembly apart to see what all was in them and if they could be used. I am sure it could be done that way, but my worry was always "would the beam be aimed even remotely close once done". I'm guessing that most of these mount in the assembly the same way, but not ever taking one apart I wasn't sure, and it's fairly expensive to find out. I did notice some moisture in one of my explorer headlights the other day so it looks like a good time to check it out and see how it's mounted in there.
I used have to go to junkyards. Now theres several different vendors that sell you oem parts.

The retrofit source has lexus rx350 projectors, OEM OSRAM bulbs, and OEM DENSO ballasts.

And there are other vendors out there as well. I just prefer TRS' customer service. And their pricing is competitive.

That's what i like to use on 99% of my builds. Stuff lasts forever. And the rx350 projectors are still some of the best light output in the market.

kleake

Reaction score
I used have to go to junkyards. Now theres several different vendors that sell you oem parts.

The retrofit source has lexus rx350 projectors, OEM OSRAM bulbs, and OEM DENSO ballasts.

And there are other vendors out there as well. I just prefer TRS' customer service. And their pricing is competitive.

That's what i like to use on 99% of my builds. Stuff lasts forever. And the rx350 projectors are still some of the best light output in the market.

Thank you, this definitely gives me some places to look for components. I still need to hunt down some good housings.

Reaction score
Thank you, this definitely gives me some places to look for components. I still need to hunt down some good housings.
Honestly, unless u find housings locally, I would just buy a set of lights from the dealer.

Most folks dont take the time to package a set of lights properly. Thus they almost always end up damaged in shipping.

Thats been my experience.

kleake

Reaction score
Honestly, unless u find housings locally, I would just buy a set of lights from the dealer.

Most folks dont take the time to package a set of lights properly. Thus they almost always end up damaged in shipping.

Thats been my experience.

Any luck with some of the aftermarket housings from ebay or Amazon? If the beam pattern is coming from the projector, and I will be re-sealing them anyway, would they be reasonable? $100 compared to $500 from a dealer?

Reaction score
Any luck with some of the aftermarket housings from ebay or Amazon? If the beam pattern is coming from the projector, and I will be re-sealing them anyway, would they be reasonable? $100 compared to $500 from a dealer?
I've never tried on a superduty. I've had horrible quality issues with other makes and models.

The plastic is just not the same quality. It's brittle and prone to breaking.

Unfortunately retrofitting is so time consuming for me, i just dont bother with knock off stuff. I dont want to do it twice.

U could buy the cheap amazon stuff on the truck and cut apart your oem ones.... that an alternative.

kleake

Reaction score
I have been running these for about a year and have no complaints. I have never been flashed and the light output is much better than stock. I don't even run my fogs anymore.
https://gtrlighting.com/gtr-lighting-ultra-series-led-headlight-bulbs-h13-9008-3rd-generation/

Those are some pricey LED's, but look like they would work well. I think my biggest issue though is my current lenses are in such bad shape with spiderwebbing and such that any brighter bulb just dispurses the light out in all directions. If I just get new housings, I may be ok already but I know I wasn't happy when them even when I bought the truck almost 5 years ago, but they have definitely gotten worse. I think i'll start with that and if that doesn't get me to a decent spot, I'll then look at the retrofit. Before I did that I wanted to see if any of the aftermarket retro's were decent quality but it sounds like they aren't where they need to be.

Reaction score
Those are some pricey LED's, but look like they would work well. I think my biggest issue though is my current lenses are in such bad shape with spiderwebbing and such that any brighter bulb just dispurses the light out in all directions. If I just get new housings, I may be ok already but I know I wasn't happy when them even when I bought the truck almost 5 years ago, but they have definitely gotten worse. I think i'll start with that and if that doesn't get me to a decent spot, I'll then look at the retrofit. Before I did that I wanted to see if any of the aftermarket retro's were decent quality but it sounds like they aren't where they need to be.
You know, a good amount of that can be buffed out. Depending how bad it is. If youre an a tight budget you could try that first..

kleake

Reaction score
You know, a good amount of that can be buffed out. Depending how bad it is. If youre an a tight budget you could try that first..

Yea the dullness can be, but the spider cracking is deeper than the surface, and the coating has been coming off for quite some time as well. I am sure buffing would help, but it's likely just a temporary fix. I'll try to get a picture of them tonight. I had taken them apart a few years back and painted them to match, but they are getting bad enough it's hard to tell they are painted. lol

I'm not really on too tight of a budget, I just hate throwing too much at it and not get the results I hope for, and I prefer to cut costs where I can as long as it doesn't compromise results. If the cheapie housings are good, i'm good, but if they don't last or crack easily, i'll go the OEM route. It's kinda like HF,,, some of their stuff works just fine, but some of it might as well be sold at kmart. ;-)

Reaction score
You will not be disappointed with a set of well done retrofits. I guarantee it. It's night and day. It's so noticeable, I won't own a vehicle without a set. Just from the sheer safety perspective. The width and clarity of light is very impressive.

For instance, on my F250, on a two lane road, I can light the road evenly, without any break up in light, past the ditches on both sides of the road. It even goes further than the ditches all the way to the treeline. It's like a blanket of light from treeline to treeline. It's impressive.

though it's hard to photograph. and photos of the output are misleading.

I can see the eyeballs on a buck gleaming in the light way off into the ditch, way before I need to start slowing down or react.

you will never get that kind of performance out of a plug and play kit or a bulb swap. been there done that.

I used to drive 30k miles a year on two lane roads most of the time going from power plant to power plant. I spent the money from a safety perspective alone.

EDIT: And in addition to the performance, it reduces the glare to oncoming traffic. Unlike all the non projection type of lights. The lights have a cutoff line, above the line is barely any light. Below the line is 99% of the light. Hope that makes sense.

I can get really technical with this stuff but it's not necessary. just google "RX 350 projector cuttoff line". That is sufficient to explain in plain english what performance lighting is all about.

Last edited:

kleake

Reaction score
I definitely understand, and that is exactly what I would like to have. We've got projectors in our Fusion and in our Explorer and they both work VERY well. I hop in the truck and it was like jumping in a car without even halogens. After the LED swap, it's much brighter and whiter, but it's lighting up everything. I can barely even notice a change when going to brights because everything is lit up so much, but I also know I am blinding others because of the condition of my lenses. I am just not happy doing that and feel like a jerk because I know I hate it when others do that to me. I'm looking at ordering some OEM Harley edition housings so they will be easier to colormatch the insides. I'll likely be hitting you up for some P/N of the components you like. In the end i'll be around $1k for the upgrade. It's a hard swallow because I don't drive the truck daily, but when I do, it's almost always at night. I know it will be worth it, but I was hoping to find something reasonable for a couple hundred. lol Isn't that the way it works though?

Latest posts

Members online