2011-2015 Turbo discussion thread

Reaction score
What are your power goals? Truck goals?

If you don't plan on much more than maybe adding a little fuel the StreetMaxR will get great.

If you plan on future larger injectors, dual pumps,built engine, 700+ hp etc... Go with the 6670R.

I'm not looking for a drag truck or anything, but want a good little hp/tq boost and a good sound. If I end up keeping stock fueling and just custom tuned & *****ed, would 6670R perform great? I have heard they have the old 6.0 whistle and I'm a former 6.0 guy that misses the diesel truck sounds... Or would you think the street max R is better? I know you have tested the 6670R for a year and I'm interested in what you think the comparison stock fueled is?

Also do you have and stock fueled 2015 videos of both turbos?

On stock fuel they will make nearly the same power, because both turbos have more capacity than a stock single pump can put out. So on stock fuel your looking at a small gain in power difference. You do loose a little spooling with the bigger turbo, but you gain the turbine whistle. They both make about the same amount of noise out of the compressor.

It all comes down to price and what you want.

There is a ton of videos on YouTube. Just search Midwest diesel and find my channel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2011f250powerstroke

Reaction score
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan@Midwest Diesel & Auto View Post
Here is a stock '15 turbo.
I recently purchased a turbo from a nearby shop and its a 64mm 2015 style but it doesent have the inlet face machined out, it looks just like the factory turbo face as in the pic above but with a billet wheel. I called the shop and they said they dont machine the faces of the inlet anymore like in the pic above. Is this more restrictive to air flow or does it even make a damn? Just wondering if i should send it back and tell them to machine it or if its even worth messing with. Any input is appreciated, thank you.

SVTDiesel

Reaction score
Is the streetmax R capable of near 700rwhp with fuel? I like what I am hearing about this turbo, but do not want to paint myself into a corner down the road when fuel gets added. Not looking to do the bottom end either, so that also limits me. I generally don't tow anything, maybe twice with any of my trucks in 14 years. Thanks!

Reaction score
Is the streetmax R capable of near 700rwhp with fuel? I like what I am hearing about this turbo, but do not want to paint myself into a corner down the road when fuel gets added. Not looking to do the bottom end either, so that also limits me. I generally don't tow anything, maybe twice with any of my trucks in 14 years. Thanks!

650 seems to be the most we have been seeing. Anything more than that you will need a 6670R.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JRLott

Reaction score
Somewhere on here Morgan said the StreetmaxR leaves in the neighborhood of 50 HP on the table with a '15 pump. I would think the bigger turbo would be a waste unless you knew another fuel pump was going to magically appear in the near future.

Interested to see what he says though.

sootie

Reaction score
I believe Gare is running a 6670 on a 2015 pump. From what I understand, a streetmaxR and a 6670 will make very similar power on a single 2015 pump. The only benefit is you could grow into the 6670 with dual fuel later and you get that whistle :evil:

maxxedout

Reaction score
Good to know... It's mearly thinking out loud for the time being. I have one of the original 64 mm Street Max turbos, and I've been wondering if it would be worthwhile to upgrade to the newer 65.5 model. If I'm going to spend the money, I wonder if the 6670R would be worth the extra cost. Unfortunately, I doubt I'll get much more than the $1,000 core charge for what I have now, so I'll probably just run it until I have a definite reason to make a change. Like I said, just thinking out loud.

sootie

Reaction score
It all depends on you end goals. If you want over 650 hp, jump to the 6670

JRLott

Reaction score
I can see them making similar power since both provide more air than the fuel can use, but I wonder if the 6670 would be more sluggish and slower spooling.

JRLott

Reaction score
Ok...so mechanics has no influence? Seems it would be a bit more difficult to get lit when tuned right compared to the StreetmaxR tuned right...unless comparing good tunes to crappy.

sootie

Reaction score
I'm not saying it has no influence, I'm saying it can be largely overcome by tuning.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
I'm not saying it has no influence, I'm saying it can be largely overcome by tuning.

i'd say to a point yes, but a turbine is a turbine. the barder will spoool slower. i think if you dont have a plan for dual fuel in the immediate future , its alot left on the table in spool and money .

SVTDiesel

Reaction score
So once the duel fuelers or other system that someone uses to up the fuel for the 6670; what is the hp gain over the streetmax R? If that makes sense? So if you can get w/o fuel 650 with the SM-R, is it worth the extra $1700 for the 6670 as well as $3500 conservatively for duel fuelers to only gain 50-100 at most rwhp? Thanks!

JRLott

Reaction score
The StreetmaxR should be in the 650 range with fuel, or roughly 50 more than on '15 fuel. The 6670 should get you to about 750 with fuel. If you're buying the extra fuel anyway...may as well go with the 6670. Just my opinion, but I could see a case for staying with the StreetmaxR, since it won't make enough power to satisfactorily destroy internals and the 6670 is pushing the hell outta that limit.

sootie

Reaction score
The StreetmaxR should be in the 650 range with fuel, or roughly 50 more than on '15 fuel. The 6670 should get you to about 750 with fuel. If you're buying the extra fuel anyway...may as well go with the 6670. Just my opinion, but I could see a case for staying with the StreetmaxR, since it won't make enough power to satisfactorily destroy internals and the 6670 is pushing the hell outta that limit.

"with fuel" is a very loose term. Not gonna hit 750 with a 6670R on stock nozzles...

Tom@BigTimeKustomz

Reaction score
Morgan, or any guys that are just running a StreetMax and '15 pump, are you seeing any issues with other parts? Thinking this is where I'm going with my truck over the winter. Don't want a crazy hp truck, just a nice reliable daily driver. My truck currently is fully dereeted and canned tunes on the SCT.

Thanks for any help.

Latest posts

Members online