Engine not coming up to temp

Ford460power

Reaction score
Got a fresh rebuild, engine fires up runs great but will not come up to temp. I have a new oem thermostat, some cheapo aftermarket radiator, new oem oil cooler. Can start and run truck and with auto enginuity hooked up coolant temp start low and runs to around 90 degree and gets stuck. Oil temp climbs up great and everything else is within spec.

I looked at fan speed vs engine rpm and fan is around 250rpm with engine at 600-700 rpm ive ran it and drained the water a few times and it i can stick my hand in the water running out its about bath water temp.

What can I look at to get this thing up to temp? Air in the system maybe?

Ford460power

Reaction score
I wish I had a vacuum setup to do that but I don't. I pulled thermostat and left it off and filled till it drained out a bunch before I put the hose on. Probably just some air in the system im hoping

EPA

Reaction score
T stat could be stuck open... I have had ford oem tstats fail open. Better open then closed haha. Test the tstat, its free and easy to do. I'm assuming you have only idled this engine.

Last edited:

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Try running it with the heater on as well. That will cycle coolant thru the heater core and help get some of the air pockets out.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

renegade

Reaction score
I am assuming this is a 6.0. Get a thermostat from International, for some reason they seem to be more reliable than the Ford OEM. Also as someone else said pull the stat and check it on the stove with a thermometer and you will know it it is good or bad.

Latest posts