Brake caliper locking up on Superduty

D66stroke

Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out why these trucks go through calipers so often after the originals go up. These trucks have been out 20 years, has anyone found the reason behind this? I've read so much and no one knows (old posts). My assumption is heat, dust, and rust from junk pads and solid rotors, and an occasional brake line swelling internally. Am I right or could it be further upstream like the master cylinder or something? I just replaced both rears, they are still dragging. Going after the 3 rear brake lines next. I don't tow much with this truck, or ever heavy at that. So other than stopping an 8k pound truck daily (I don't stand on the pedal), I can't see heat being the issue. Hopefully I'm wrong because I just ordered drilled/slotted rotors and ceramic pads lol. I'm just trying to find the most common cause so I'm not eating up new parts or swapping calipers as often, or ever again. Or is it just something we have to live with as early SD owners?

Derkperk

Reaction score
I would love to know this as well being I just had my rears replaced this month on a family rod trip. I last did the rears 5years and 12k miles ago. I figured it was because my truck sits a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Arisley

Reaction score
Not using a truck is the worst thing you can do to it.

Make sure you pull the caliper slides out, clean them and the bolts and the bores really good, lube them with caliper grease, it is not one of those if a little is good a lot is better, grease lightly. Do the same thing on the little ears where the brake pads make contact with the caliper.

BrewTown

Reaction score
Change the brake hoses. The rubber swells, brake pressure will "activate" the caliper, but the hole inside is basically swelled shut so the fluid can't release.

D66stroke

Reaction score
I replaced the 3 rear soft lines, installed drilled/slotted rotors and ceramic pads today. Only my rear wheels were hot after driving so I held off on the front brake lines. Greased everything with brake lube, even the surface of the pistons and seals so nothing can get back there when/if the seal breaks. I still have to bleed them so we'll see tomorrow if it's fixed. Still curious why it's so common.. I've never heard about any other car or truck having repeat caliper issues in such short time

BS Hauler

Reaction score
I think its moisture in the fluid.
Second I think its the hoses get old.
Third is flush all fluid before you take any calipers off.

Derkperk

Reaction score
I think its moisture in the fluid.
Second I think its the hoses get old.
Third is flush all fluid before you take any calipers off.

This was my thought as well. Brake fluid is hydroscopic and the corrosion of pistons is likely the cause of sticking. The odd part is why it only occurs in the rear calipers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online