160/30 vs 160's

85_305

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Hey guys... new to the 'army, NOT new to powerstrokes or diesels in general. LOVE this forum, been lurking for years. There's a disgusting amount of smart people on here... far smarter than I, so we're already off to a good start.

So here's my predicament. I am NOT going past stock turbo. In fact, past injectors I wont be doing much else if anything. I'm looking to max my stock setup out though; stage II's aren't an issue because that will cause reliability issues on stock turbo.

The few dyno's I've seen of 160's vs 160/30's shows the 30's give 20-30whp gain on the same exact truck, w/ the nozzles being the only difference. My tuner of choice is beans, and my future injectors of choice are roses.

Does anybody have any further input on 160's vs 160/30's?

CSIPSD

Reaction score
160's are a 360-380hp injector...

160/30's will push those numbers close to 400.

I would assume you will intercool the truck?

85_305

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
160's are a 360-380hp injector...

160/30's will push those numbers close to 400.

I would assume you will intercool the truck?

THATS why I stopped going to the ORG (oops.. did I say that?). Everybody there swears that stage 1 160's are a 300-320whp injector on an obs :doh:
No I dont plan to intercool Joe.

Last edited:

CSIPSD

Reaction score
THATS why I stopped going to the ORG (oops.. did I say that?). Everybody there swears that stage 1 160's are a 300-320whp injector on an obs :doh:
No I dont plan to intercool Joe.

I would strongly suggest picking up an E99 Y pipe and intercooling it.

85_305

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
I would strongly suggest picking up an E99 Y pipe and intercooling it.

Meh I dont use it enough to go thru the hassle and $$ to be honest. I mean, I use the truck a lot, but not enough to require an IC.

FrankTheTank

Reaction score
to get full potential of injectors and tunning an intercooler is highly recomended. otherwise tunner will have to back off the fuel, whats the sence?

SPEEDDEMON31176

Reaction score
If your going to stick with a stock turbo and don't want to put an IC on it then I would suggest a set of baby swamps, tranny savers, or stage 1's and have beans burn the chip accordingly. You will probably be looking at a rebuilt trans in no time either way you look at it.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Meh I dont use it enough to go thru the hassle and $$ to be honest. I mean, I use the truck a lot, but not enough to require an IC.

I honestly would do 160s with an Ic other wise you will have heat problems

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would even go so far as to say just throw a set of AD's in it and be done.

85_305

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
I'm going to get a TC/vb... but thats dual purpose: it will hold up to the stage 1's, but it will also increase longevity of my recently rebuilt e4od.

I'm only doing stage 1's... the 160/30's are only stage 1s with slightly larger nozzles.

You guys think heat-control will be hard w/ 160/30's? In my tow tune, I will for SURE have fuel backed off, but I think the hot-tune will be just fine for daily driving...

mattman347

Reaction score
You should have no issue with heat control with a set of 160cc injectors, if your paying for nozzles already a set of stage 2' (100%) nozzle is what I would recommend. Remember, you can tune for what you want your power to be with almost any injector.

bruce

Reaction score
why would you spend more money for nozzles when you'll never make the power they can produce because you won't do the correct supportin mods?

TyCorr

Reaction score
Any nozzle under 80% is a joke. For real. Don't waste your time. If this truck.isnt intercooled, has trans issues, and you're worried some remanned ad code injectors are all you need.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Yup... Said that already...LOL

jeez...I skimmed right over that...Well that's two votes.

In reference, liked my 80% nozzles far more than my 100s even with the limited use I gave each of them. 200s next. And last hopefully.

smokedout250

Reaction score
I would even go so far as to say just throw a set of AD's in it and be done.

I would agree with you joe.

You need to figure a budget out and choose from there. Get all the supporting mods figured out so you hav ran idea what your budget allows and what you wanna do. You can always have the 160s detuned but that kinda defeats the point of running a larger injector

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

85_305

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
You should have no issue with heat control with a set of 160cc injectors, if your paying for nozzles already a set of stage 2' (100%) nozzle is what I would recommend. Remember, you can tune for what you want your power to be with almost any injector.

Stage II's on stock turbo = stock turbo not lasting long, which is something I dont want to compromise. Too risky running that much fuel thru the stock turbo to me. Sure I could detune them, but then its not worth the extra cost in injector.

I ran 175/30s on my e99 stock turbo. I had zero egt issues with my gearhead tunes

Good to know... although i dont have an IC.

why would you spend more money for nozzles when you'll never make the power they can produce because you won't do the correct supportin mods?

bruce?! As in... THE bruce?? I must admit, I've always been a fan if you are THE bruce.
I can name about 3 dozen people on the ORG w/ stage 1's and NO ic, who none of them have heat problems w/ the 160's. So I'm not terribly worried about that.

Any nozzle under 80% is a joke. For real. Don't waste your time. If this truck.isnt intercooled, has trans issues, and you're worried some remanned ad code injectors are all you need.

No trans issues it's brand new.

Can I find AD code injectors brand new for the $800 I'm spending on my 160/30's?

I'm not too keen on putting splits onto my 15* pump. I know people run singles tuning on the ad's, but it doesn't always work out that way.

Latest posts

Members online