Bumpsteer assistance

Aaron S

Reaction score
I talked to Marty a lot on the phone trying to solve a bumpsteer issue. I figure ile put some pictures of the customish trac bar bracket myself and a friend put together to solve the problem per Martys recomendations and my testing. Hopefully he dosent put the pics in the Why File.

Attachments

• IMG_0058.JPG
    IMG_0058.JPG
    298.1 KB · Views: 197
  • IMG_0062.JPG
    IMG_0062.JPG
    236.6 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_0066.JPG
    IMG_0066.JPG
    323.5 KB · Views: 171

Aaron S

Reaction score
Yes on the PSC ram assist modded box and PSC ram.

The trac rod is Icon.

Aaron S

Reaction score
I gave up I'm still thinking I have bumpsteer on bigger bumps when the road is uneven good luck to you

I definitly hear where your coming from.

I took me hanging my truck from a crane by the tow hooks then removed parts so I could get the coils out. Once the coils were out I locked the tie rod down then raised the truck up and down to try to get an idea as to what the problem was based on what Marty told me. Hes why I took the four link off and put the ALAs on. I ended up adjusting the ALAs all over the place with no improvement. I probably tried something like this five times. It came down to changing the upper mounting position of the trac bar, which led to modifying a skyjacker trac bar bracket to suit my needs.

07_powerstroke

Reaction score
I definitly hear where your coming from.

I took me hanging my truck from a crane by the tow hooks then removed parts so I could get the coils out. Once the coils were out I locked the tie rod down then raised the truck up and down to try to get an idea as to what the problem was based on what Marty told me. Hes why I took the four link off and put the ALAs on. I ended up adjusting the ALAs all over the place with no improvement. I probably tried something like this five times. It came down to changing the upper mounting position of the trac bar, which led to modifying a skyjacker trac bar bracket to suit my needs.

I don't feel like dealing with any of this truck stuff anymore I guess I'm going to just deal with it my complaints are #1 no matter what I do the rear drive shaft vibrates or studders 0-10 MPH #2 rides very very rough on dirt roads pot holes ect... #3 pulls to right but I haven't had a professional alinement if someone offered me decent money for the lift and tires I would sell it to go to stock

DFW64

Reaction score
The best thing I did was buy a sport camera and mount and identify the issue on video.

You can drive yourself crazy trying to fix these problems. Helps to have some concrete evidence of the problem.

What's the bumpsteer like? What kinds of terrain does it occur on? Is there steering wheel feedback? When's the last time you changed the trac bar ball joint?

07_powerstroke

Reaction score
Steering wheel does not move so i thought it was body roll but its not I believe it is bumpsteer am I correct? The road is eneven and bump I live in the mountains so the roads are not the greatest... I'm just going to live with it... for the most part the truck is nice to drive.

DFW64

Reaction score
Steering wheel does not move so i thought it was body roll but its not I believe it is bumpsteer am I correct? The road is eneven and bump I live in the mountains so the roads are not the greatest... I'm just going to live with it... for the most part the truck is nice to drive.

Honestly, I'm not sure. My comment was directed more towards Aaron S because we have similar setups.

I think my advice from the previous post still applies. Try to pinpoint where it occurs on video and go from there.

Aaron S

Reaction score
The problem is not to bad at this point, since ive made the new upper trac bar bracket.

I apologize if im using the incorrect word by saying bumpsteer. The issue was and still slighlty is, the steering wheel will rotate, steer, oscilate in my hands when going over bumps, most noticable at highway speeds. The handling of the truck is not a problem, it steers where I want when I want.

The situations that this occurs now is when I travel over roads and bumps are not even all of the way accross. Imagine going over a speed bump that is at a perfect 90 degree angle to the road, both front tires hit the bump at the same time. In this situation the steering wheel does not rotate. Now if the speed bump is at a 45 degree angle to the road. The right front tire hits the speed bump first, the steering wheel will turn to the left then when the left front tire hits the bump the steering wheel will turn to the right. Thats the jist of it.

I havent driven another truck with the same setup as mine, so maybe this is acceptable and im just to damn picky.

Aaron S

Reaction score
I don't feel like dealing with any of this truck stuff anymore I guess I'm going to just deal with it my complaints are #1 no matter what I do the rear drive shaft vibrates or studders 0-10 MPH #2 rides very very rough on dirt roads pot holes ect... #3 pulls to right but I haven't had a professional alinement if someone offered me decent money for the lift and tires I would sell it to go to stock

It definitly sucks when you get to the point of scrapping the lift. My truck had eight inches of leaf spring lift at one point and rode horrible. Lifting trucks seems kind of like horsepower the higher you go and the price goes up exponentially, if you want a proper working good riding setup. Im always tempted to go higher, but with 35s, it dosent need regeared and rides pretty good without to many nagging problems over all.

Aaron S

Reaction score
The best thing I did was buy a sport camera and mount and identify the issue on video.

You can drive yourself crazy trying to fix these problems. Helps to have some concrete evidence of the problem.

What's the bumpsteer like? What kinds of terrain does it occur on? Is there steering wheel feedback? When's the last time you changed the trac bar ball joint?

Ive never replaced the trac bar ball joint, it always seems tight when ive checked it.

It would be interesting to see what is going on on a video but I just can imagine being able to see what is causing the problem.

Erikclaw

Reaction score

#1 for me it had to be a cv drive shaft but then it failed prematurally. Now I run a one piece and had no shutter with either. I adjusted a non rear cv from here to the moon and always had a shutter like you describe.

Layson

Reaction score
Hope Dave can help you out. I am thinking it has got to be your track rod bracket... If it got better from start to finish than maybe that is it. Something is just slightly out of whack. I am going to throw up a couple pics that you have seen of my buddies setup. Just for anybody else out there... 08 axles on 2000 truck, stock 05 track rod bracket, stock 08 steering box, OUO Ala's and OUO traction bars. 4.5" Icon...

Like I said Dave is a wealth of knowledge and hopefully he can help you out.

image-3.jpg

image-2.jpg

image-1.jpg

DFW64

Reaction score
Ive never replaced the trac bar ball joint, it always seems tight when ive checked it.

It would be interesting to see what is going on on a video but I just can imagine being able to see what is causing the problem.

Don't discount the power of video. I can mount the camera to the dual steering stabilizer and have it inches away from the joint on the frame or the one on the axle. Its not crystal clear HD, unless its a fancy GoPro, but its clear enough to see. Then you can do that fancy Carli stuff and have split screen viewing of the problem.

We can sit here all day long and spitball ideas on whats happening, which I'm more than willing to do, but having something to point out on video sure makes it alot easier.

That's how Dave helped me pinpoint my bumpsteer issues.

DFW64

Reaction score

Depending on the mileage and driving habits, it might be time to replace. Those things are a couple of notches above junk.

Layson

Reaction score
Depending on the mileage and driving habits, it might be time to replace. Those things are a couple of notches above junk.

I agree! I think I would start with that lower joint in the axle first!

Cory S

Reaction score
i dont know if this could cause it but what is the length of your track bar in comparison to your drag link? (steering arm)..

Latest posts

Members online