600 hp engine rebuild

bens

Reaction score
Ok so I've been in the rebuild process for a while now and I'm about to get my short block back.
Fresh valves in the heads, and a .020 overbore. Along with all new bearings.
I'm going to be running swamps 300/200 and an s480 and probably a gen 3 hpop.
I have a few odd and end questions.
1. I've heard of people treating the factory ford gaskets with a "copper spray"? Is that something I need to look into? (I'll be using arp head studs)
2. Opinions on replacing the rocker arms?

I have new lifters on the way and already have the Smith bros push rods, which will be ran with shimmed 910s

Any other opinions?

Thanks,
Ben

Magnum PD

Reaction score
You'll run the risk of blowing a head gasket with the stock replacement until it is "cooked in". another option is using a MLS cometic head gasket.

brettboat

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
You should be able to get alot more out of 300/200s than 600 dude... No Studs? Oring head? billet rods? Half fill on the block? What are you doing to your pistons? I think you're playing with fire because an all out tune SHOULD push you well past 600 with the right turbo.

bens

Reaction score
Head studs, stock bottom end, stock pistons...I'm shooting for 600 with the 300s and 80mm turbo...while yes the Injectors and turbo are probably capable of 700 and maybe more, the lower end of the engine is the part that isn't.
I was originally planning for 250s and being a healthy 500hp at least, then I found a killer deal on the turbo and mount.
Thanks,
Ben

bens

Reaction score
Does anyone have any info on the half fill on the block? I did some research and came up with a video on YouTube of them doing a SBC and that's about it. Is there a how to anywhere for the 7.3?
And I suppose a main girdle would be considered a reliability upgrade, found one on riff raff http://www.riffraffdiesel.com/7-3l-complete-engine-girdle-kit/
Is that a good kit to go with?

Thanks,
Ben

Magnum PD

Reaction score
It's best if you torque down the block with a deckplate and a main stud girdle while the hard block is setting. Swamps did my block that way.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Does anyone have any info on the half fill on the block? I did some research and came up with a video on YouTube of them doing a SBC and that's about it. Is there a how to anywhere for the 7.3?
And I suppose a main girdle would be considered a reliability upgrade, found one on riff raff http://www.riffraffdiesel.com/7-3l-complete-engine-girdle-kit/
Is that a good kit to go with?

Thanks,
Ben
yes that is a good one.. basically the same girdle that most of the 7.3 vendors sell..

live life full throttle

bens

Reaction score
I plan to use the truck for sled pulling and as a weekend cruiser.
Any info on the block fill? Is it something a shop has to do or?

Magnum PD

Reaction score
Is you want it done right and no worries later then yes a shop that has done it and knows what they're doing.

Dmstrucks02

Reaction score
With half the coolant passages filled?

So they say, mine isn't filled so I have no experience

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
From swamps website
55c66a75542521e49136c3c629103540.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

02BigD

Reaction score
If he half fills the block then he wouldn't be able to use it as a weekend cruiser would he?

Throw the low temp IH thermostat in, and let it eat. Plenty of people running a partial fill for a DD. I've got round 70k on the clock since the engine build.

Latest posts

Members online