Adding cooler you bypass

tyler2k

Reaction score
So what do you guys think about adding an extra cooler in line with a bypass oil filter just for some additional cooling off the oil. I'm doing the bpd relocation kit but figured an external cooler could be a benefit

FaSSt9602

Reaction score
Unless you are seeing abnormally high oil temps, I wouldn't bother. The BPD kit is a well engineered unit.

tyler2k

Reaction score
I'm going with there relocate kit, not the air cooled one. I just figured for the extra maybe 50 to 60 bucks for an extra oil cooler why not toss it on there while doing the oil bypass filter

FaSSt9602

Reaction score
I'd be careful just throwing a cooler in line. You don't want to cause any restriction in the oil system that could starve other vital components...

tyler2k

Reaction score
From my understanding only like 10% of the oil goes through the bypass at at a time do i just need a cooler that can flow that amount

tyler2k

Reaction score
Never heard of it, just checked it out, its definitely a nice piece but for the extra money i could get the complete bullet proof kit instead of the relocate kit. This was more of an idea since itd be simple and cheap to add on for some extra cooling

tyler2k

Reaction score
Hayden Ultra-Cool Engine Oil Cooler Kit 459

You guys think this could work inline an oil bypass it

Zmann

Reaction score
this has been done and the user tried those long coolers on the frame rail to the bypass
the oil temp results were negligible
I have the BPD relocate and you won't need to lower EOT temps

but if you did want to try a remote cooler inline with a bypass you could toy with that at anytime since it would be tired to the BPD lines at all

Zmann

Reaction score
Inside of that pan looks awful.

6.0ALOILPN-4.jpg

:shrug:

tyler2k

Reaction score
I'm gonna put one up front behind the grill, saw a tread on here where a guy did it with great results. I figure since I'm doing the bypass filter anyway for the 50$ why not give it a try

Zmann

Reaction score
what bypass filter are you using?

most bypass kits come with pre-terminated threaded fitting oil lines
and they are not 3/8 barbed like the cooler your looking at running

Last edited:

tyler2k

Reaction score
I saw a thread where a guy built a kit and put up the part numbers, i plan on having my local napa make the lines for me. I also just emailed amsoil to see if i can just buy their base and filter instead of the full kit

tyler2k

Reaction score
Derale Tube and Fin Engine Oil Cooler 15300 10" x 12.5" -8 AN Inlet/Outlet

How's this one look

Zmann

Reaction score
Interested
but your doing the BPD cooler at the same time ?

that may skew your findings unless you can get bypass the aux cooler for a before and after test maybe a #8 AN male to male fitting ?

Latest posts

Members online