Go West, Young Man- Connor M's 6.4

Connor M

Youtube Certified Master Technician
Reaction score
Figured I'd make a spot to peddle my sob story, tell a few jokes, ask a few questions, post my rants, and maybe even inspire another young man to make the same dumb mistakes I did.

I'm from the great state of Taxachusetts with our rust, camera inspections, tight modification laws, and general tomfoolery.

I was looking for a new truck. My 303k mile 2005 Yukon Denali from high school was tired, sad, kinda ugly, and I found out the hard way that the trans was on the way out. I looked for a while for a higher trim 6.4 and fell in love with a ******d 2008 job 3 HD in OKC. Had a few issues- The tail pipe was hanging oddly low, two small tears inside, but it seemed "OK" (pun intended) and the Ford dealership assured me it was in perfect shape and would make it back to MA. So I hopped on a jet and went to get my new perfect truck.

And it had a few small dents but nothing major. The EBP sensor was broken, and we rolled the end over to get some boost back and quiet the whistle. Then in Arkansas at 9pm I found the truck covered in oil when I stopped for fuel and I was down a couple quarts.
A dealer in Arkansas told me it was mostly from the front main and a little from a few other spots, but it was fine, I could just keep it topped off and I’d be fine. So I bought a case of oil and headed off. Then in Tennessee, we got a rocker tapping and limp mode with no codes and shortly thereafter a turbo decided that it wanted a two-piece shaft.
So I left it in a parking lot, got a ride to Knoxville (huge thank you to Jerry Duncan Ford in Harriman) and drove back to get my paperweight.

bd9da68d946e76ff42cd6f7bff94ffd7.jpg

Took the cab off to replace the turbo and rocker and when I pulled the rocker I noticed pieces of the head gasket missing. I don’t know a lot but figured that wasn’t a good sign and since I was here I’d stud it. So I pulled the heads and shipped them off to get rebuilt by Dennis and the guys at All Cape Machine. Real great shop, and they did a great job on my heads. Had quite a few seats cracked and a lot of shot guides and a few valves.

cccb6394a3e7290fe3102d5deb027f11.jpg

As I was tearing it down I noticed it’s evident that someone’s been in here before despite a fairly thorough and squeaky clean car fax. Lots of silicone on pumps body mount nuts broken free, etc.

Once I finally got it going I put some switchbacks and LED heads in. I have resistors, reverse lights, and led fogs on the way from VLEDS.

86d8375d937dddfbe62e63fafcacf09a.jpg

I was showing a belt on the discoverer AT3’s that came on the truck so I used the tire machine at work to put some 35x12.50r20 Cooper STT pros on the truck with equal bags for balancing. Working pretty well so far.

d23090767463c70803ca5a6f93f2a741.jpg

e6afa205ceb0714c7f1d9f803965b585.jpg

I also fixed the tip a bit and pulled the stripe but it need some serious paint love and some more struggling to perfect the tail pipe, but I haven’t decided what I’m going to do with the exhaust so I’m not struggling with it too much. Added new locking lugs since I was missing one (you can see it in the first tire pic) and they don't fit through the center caps, so I have to figure out what I'm going to do with that.

That’s where the truck sits now, I’ve put ~4k on it and I have some LE oil waiting to go in at 5k (with one of those awesome pails, thanks Jim), roughly 169,000 on the truck. I bought it at 163 and rebuild it at 164.

I’m pretty proud of how far I came. I didn’t have a lot of experience going into this but through a lot of reading and youtube I successfully stripped the engine down to the block face and put it back together and it ran on the first try. (I did mess up the front seal install and had to redo it).

Although I’m proud of my work, I’m now looking to squeeze a little more out of it, and polish out some issues. I need to sort out some tuning, it was “full diet” from the PO but I’m getting a P041D code.
I think I’m just going to get a license for a dashdaq I picked up and see If that fixes it.

A TMPS sensor of course went out 100 miles after I just had the tires off.

Other engine plans are a no limit intake and making my own CCV mod. I kind of want to do a venturi too, just for the cleanliness. IDK what I'm going to do for exhaust right now, maybe just straighten it out and add a tip. I have a new 5" mbrp from somewhere kicking around in my shop.

Thanks for reading, hopefully more to come soon.

Connor

Last edited:

sootie

Reaction score
dont hack up your factory wiring with resistors. Nevermind the amount of heat they produce and melt anything nearby. Just turn rapid flash off with FORScan.

kleake

Reaction score
Congratulations on the ride, not so much on the problems. Hopefully you got into it right because these 6.4s are pricey to work on. They are beasts when running right!

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Connor M

Reaction score
dont hack up your factory wiring with resistors. Nevermind the amount of heat they produce and melt anything nearby. Just turn rapid flash off with FORScan.

I thought I read in 6.4s you can only use forscan to turn off hyperflash for the back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Connor M

Reaction score
Congratulations on the ride, not so much on the problems. Hopefully you got into it right because these 6.4s are pricey to work on. They are beasts when running right!

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Yeah I ended up getting a good deal on it to start out so I’m not in over my head just yet.

Connor M

Reaction score
Ordered some very bright 3156 reverse lights from VLEDS for black friday because that’s what the bulb finder told me to use.

Unfortunately the truck very obviously has something much smaller. Everything I find online says 3156 except for one thread here. What’s the deal with that?

Connor M

Reaction score
d5f6f70dcd9bd32284d4e4c712f65bde.jpg

Very interesting. Apparently I got shafted with the little leds.

sootie

Reaction score
No, I pulled them when I had the heads off and they appeared to be fine. No signs of uneven wear or anything, they spun freely.

oops. start saving for your next rebuild.

Connor M

Reaction score

oops. start saving for your next rebuild.

May I ask... why? They seem fine and I’m not having any valvetrain issues, my rocker issue was with the plastic clips breaking and the arms falling apart.

They’re the same lifters as a 7.3 and 6.0 and those don’t have major valve issues afaik. I also haven’t heard of valves being major fail points in well maintained engines.

Not trying to argue, just curious

sootie

Reaction score
same as a 6.0, yes. Which also are plagued with lifter issues when the miles get up there. It is accentuated on six fours due to the fuel dilution mainly. If you had the engine apart, the 300+- dollars to put new lifters in is peanuts that may save you a rebuild down the road. Nothing like having a perfectly running engine wipe out a cam and send metal thru the whole thing.

Connor M

Reaction score
same as a 6.0, yes. Which also are plagued with lifter issues when the miles get up there. It is accentuated on six fours due to the fuel dilution mainly. If you had the engine apart, the 300+- dollars to put new lifters in is peanuts that may save you a rebuild down the road. Nothing like having a perfectly running engine wipe out a cam and send metal thru the whole thing.

I should have done them when I had it apart, that’s for sure. Just chalk it up to inexperience and save that in my mind for if I ever do it again.

kleake

Reaction score
When I did the head gaskets on mine, everything else was running perfectly. I went ahead and put new heads, injectors, HPFP, lifters, rockers and several other things. There ended up being a change in the rockers that only a few people were aware of. Caused me a fair amount of grief until we sorted it out and swapped out push rods as well. Who would have thought changing the rockers required changing the push rods as well? Anyway, all was running perfect until a piston cracked 10k miles later. You just never know what will fail next, so it's a good practice to just freshen all components up that you can while you are there. Hopefully you never know if it saves you, but you will sure know otherwise.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
The plastic Rocker clips are for assembly and do nothing after that

Connor M

Reaction score
a81a49efb18061047129dcd87c9c734a.jpg

Think I’m going to need one of these.
Was rushing to swap and oil pressure switch and felt my ratchet go right through the threads like butter.

I also might try helicoils instead, figured I’d bounce the idea off a few heads before I spend $50 plus shipping on a little metal adapter.

Emery19

Reaction score
First of all. F you biznatch.

Second of all. I'm just posting here because I haven't derailed your build thread on this website yet.

Third of all. How did you do your switchbacks.

Fourth of all. Nice truck bro

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Connor M

Reaction score
First of all. F you biznatch.

Second of all. I'm just posting here because I haven't derailed your build thread on this website yet.

Third of all. How did you do your switchbacks.

Fourth of all. Nice truck bro

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Hahahaha it’s good, build threads are meant to be derailed.

I got putco led switchbacks for the truck. I used VLEDs resistors with the tap harness, and stuck them to the housing along with the led ballast harness.

The fast click was driving me nuts but you wouldn’t have to use them if you didn’t want to.

I need to get forescan going to tune out the rear light flash, I put led tail bulbs in and the truck fast flashes again.

Latest posts

Members online