ZF6 Build

ZF6_7.3

Reaction score
I’m new to this forum but I’m active on FTE, but they don’t have much of a following on there for performance builds.
My truck is an 02 ZF6 4x4, currently have 180/30s and a 364.5.
I daily drive this so I don’t want a drag strip build but I’m tired of being the slow on in the group LOL.
I was thinking 250/200s or 238/100s and a turbo depending on the injectors.
Anyone have any suggestions on a build for this truck? I would be getting a forged rod block to build as my PMR with 320k on it wouldn’t be too happy.

EPA

Reaction score
Built auto if you want to race light to light. Unless you're roll racing at highway speeds you're zf6 will have a hard time hanging with the auto world regardless of mods.

ZF6_7.3

Reaction score
Built auto if you want to race light to light. Unless you're roll racing at highway speeds you're zf6 will have a hard time hanging with the auto world regardless of mods.
Not trying to race, if I wanted to race I’d get a C6 corvette, just want a good injector/turbo combo for ~500hp.

Swaan

Reaction score
I'd just replace your injectors with 238/80s and keep your turbo if all you want is 500hp. Done

Swaan

Reaction score
Nope, other then that's what I'd go with. Bigger nozzles generally are dirtier and harder to tune. For 500hp no need to go bigger

superpsd

Reaction score
38R would be going backwards from his current turbo. I agree with some 238/80s and some good tuning.

INFRNL

Reaction score
It appears there isn't much activity on any of the forums anymore.

I'm building a 76 F350 4x4 cclb with 7.3l and zf6. I was recommended to run 250/100's and a 369sxe but irate said the 366sxe would be a better fit for a manual since it has slightly less lag which is more crucial in a manual.

My 03 4x4 cclb dually has a bts trans 2501/100's and currently running a 369sxe. where I live; it has a ton of lag.

I have pmr's and haven't had any issues for years and i should be around the 500 range. the tuning is tamed a bit so my pmrs won't take too much of a beating, but it still gets up and goes and feels very strong. I haven't driven or been in a forged rod motor where they don't have to be as careful with the tuning, so i'm not sure how they would compare.

I've never raced or anything but if feels pretty quick. If i were you, i would just work with what you have. Maybe even keep your 364.5, although a 366 can be found new for cheap enough.

I don't know anything about injectors and get all kinds of mixed results from the forums. 250/200s will get you slightly more than 250/100s but probably more smoke to go with it. would take more revisions or possible live tuning, unless you don't care.

Also you don't want to go too big on a manual as you won't be able to shift fast enough. So it may be a waste if you go too big. I'm not sure where you live but here in Colorado, performance will be worse than those at low elevations and/or humid states. we have more lag, more smoke and higher egt's, along with less boost and overall power.

calling some of the well known shops might be worthwhile too.

INFRNL

Reaction score
Maybe that's where I'm going wrong... I took off my wastegate to ensure maximum boost.

Granted, I'm running an auto. When i use the LASB turbo, daily tunes hit around 30-32lbs iirc, hot tunes maxed out around 35-37lbs.
I didn't think I would benefit from a wastegate, am i wrong in this thinking? I thought a wastegate limited the max boost to help keep the engine safe from too much pressure.

With my 369sxe on hot tunes i can hit 38-45lbs max. Not having springs, rod, head bolts (because boost was never high enough) i do plan to do those in the future.

Would a wastegate still be needed? I didn't get the option for wastegate for my zf6 project as i didn't think there was a benefit of using a wastegate here, since i can't produce the boost numbers that you guys can.

I've seen people with smaller injectors and turbos hitting higher boost, but i also know that doesn't necessarily mean there is more power.

Thanks

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Maybe that's where I'm going wrong... I took off my wastegate to ensure maximum boost.

Granted, I'm running an auto. When i use the LASB turbo, daily tunes hit around 30-32lbs iirc, hot tunes maxed out around 35-37lbs.
I didn't think I would benefit from a wastegate, am i wrong in this thinking? I thought a wastegate limited the max boost to help keep the engine safe from too much pressure.

With my 369sxe on hot tunes i can hit 38-45lbs max. Not having springs, rod, head bolts (because boost was never high enough) i do plan to do those in the future.

Would a wastegate still be needed? I didn't get the option for wastegate for my zf6 project as i didn't think there was a benefit of using a wastegate here, since i can't produce the boost numbers that you guys can.

I've seen people with smaller injectors and turbos hitting higher boost, but i also know that doesn't necessarily mean there is more power.

Thanks
It would just allow you to run a tighter housing so spool up would be way better then control boost pressure

live life full throttle

Swaan

Reaction score
What he said ^^^^^^

Smaller housing to spool faster . Then the wastegate controls the wheel speed and relives back pressure that the small housing and or turbine wheel will cause.

I still think a 63/68/.83 gated t4 setup would be a ideal zf6 turbo

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.