Brand new turbo. No boost; take a listen

harrelljr99

Reaction score
I’m attempting to attach video.

If you can watch and hear let me know what you think.

I just had my shop install a new fleece cheetah on my 2017 and it’s making an awful noise. Sent this video to fleece performance and they told me to ship it back and they are shipping another one. Has anyone ran across anything like this? Just wanted to ask you guys because of your expertise. Take a listen tell me what you think.

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0HRujA0dqvX8JdzUpwCGo69Kw#Nicholson_&_Athens

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

harrelljr99

Reaction score
Something is hitting obviously.

Well took of the pipe going to front of turbo to see if there was any oil (which there was none) and while it was running wot you can see the impeller turning freely and no noise then took it back out on the road and it started again with the noise and 1 to 2 psi of boost

Magnum PD

Reaction score
Could be on turbine side if you don’t see any on compressor side. Journal bearing or BB?

harrelljr99

Reaction score
Could be on turbine side if you don’t see any on compressor side. Journal bearing or BB?

We’ll find out as soon as fleece gets it back and opens it up. I’m no expert but I was thinking if the inducer wheel is turning fine and no boost stands to reason that the turbine wheel is not. Not sure though

harrelljr99

Reaction score
One thing I’m not so sure about is that the turbo from fleece is for 15- 19 model years it came with a pedestal so the shop did not swap the pedestal from the stock turbo, however the stock turbo has the oil feed feed through the pedestal itself no external oil tube but as you can see in the video the fleece cheetah out of the box has a pedestal that is not like the 2017 stock turbo; it is like ones from earlier year models that feeds oil through external oil tubing not through the base like factory. Could this be an issue??

harrelljr99

Reaction score
did the noise stop when you took the intake pipe off?

In order:

- Shop took out for test drive. And heard noise.

- shop notified me that the turbo they just installed sounded bad.

- I came by shop they started it and I listened it didn’t sound as bad as I expected thought maybe we are not used to the sound of a this new turbo.

- sent a video of what I just heard to Fleece; the guy said it sounds like maybe turbo leak told us to check all connections. Shop did so again. Fleece also said to make sure there was no oil inside the front of turbo, there was not while pipe was off we started it in the shop and it sounded even better or smoother no signs at all.

- so then put pipe back on and took for test drive immediately no boost and the loud siren like sound.

- brought back in shop and took the video you watched and sent to Fleece and they said obviously a something is wrong with the turbo take it off and ship back and they’d take a look.

jcain

Reaction score
One thing I’m not so sure about is that the turbo from fleece is for 15- 19 model years it came with a pedestal so the shop did not swap the pedestal from the stock turbo, however the stock turbo has the oil feed feed through the pedestal itself no external oil tube but as you can see in the video the fleece cheetah out of the box has a pedestal that is not like the 2017 stock turbo; it is like ones from earlier year models that feeds oil through external oil tubing not through the base like factory. Could this be an issue??

Um, yeah that's an issue.

sootie

Reaction score
You can't run a turbo designed for an internal feed pedestal, with an external oil line. The feed port is plugged.

Same way you can't run an external feed turbo with an internal feed pedestal. You would have an open port on the top of the turbo.

There are gasket differences that block crucial ports if you don't get the correct part numbers all matched up....

Also, there are three different turbo/pedestal configurations between 15-19 model year and they do not cross interchange.

Sounds like the install shop doesn't have much of a clue either or they wouldn't have installed a turbo just to get burnt up from lack of oil.

Last edited:

harrelljr99

Reaction score
You can't run a turbo designed for an internal feed pedestal, with an external oil line. The feed port is plugged.

Same way you can't run an external feed turbo with an internal feed pedestal. You would have an open port on the top of the turbo.

There are gasket differences that block crucial ports if you don't get the correct part numbers all matched up....

Also, there are three different turbo/pedestal configurations between 15-19 model year and they do not cross interchange.

Sounds like the install shop doesn't have much of a clue either or they wouldn't have installed a turbo just to get burnt up from lack of oil.

Well I’m a layman and I questioned it. But between Fleece the manufacturer and the diesel shop installing it. I figured to they knew..... Fleece sent an overnight label I’m about to ship it off they said it would ship back same day. So I’m thinking I’ll have them swap pedestals.

Fleece tech guy said specifically when I questioned him about it. “You can use either one and it’ll work fine, some people use the factory some people use the pedestal that comes on it”

If you go to fleece performance website and look up the turbo that is for 15-18 year models this is the picture.

79d5dec246325d50ed41149286653903.jpg

Black AOD

Reaction score
Turbine wheel was hitting the exhaust housing.

I've seen that before and heard it on several cummins, almost an identical sound.

harrelljr99

Reaction score

Talked with SPE who sells their version of a modded Vgt drop in.

They said the same thing.

I’m disappointed that fleece tech said it didn’t matter.

harrelljr99

Reaction score
Talked with SPE who sells their version of a modded Vgt drop in.

They said the same thing.

I’m disappointed that fleece tech said it didn’t matter.

So. I sent the turbo back to fleece and they fixed the turbo. Here’s what the work order said:

" Received 8/27/19. SN: 35-27990. Worn piston ring groove on bearing housing, caused axial play and compressor wheel hit compressor cover. Cleaned and refreshed turbine housing and turbine housing insert, replaced all other parts.”

- Powerstroke 6.7L Turbo Severe
Duty Full Rebuild Kit (2015 - 2016)

-10 Blade GT37 Turbine Wheel

-Ground to 12.60mm Tip Height and .250" radius

-63mm Fleece Performance Garrett

-VNT FMW (2.5' Legal) Balanced - NOT FOR SALE INDIVIDUALLY

- 15-current 6.7 powerstroke lower pedestal gasket

- 17-18 6.7 powerstroke pedestal to cart gasket

- 15-16 6.7 powerstroke Coolant line with hole on right side of tube

I ask the fleece tech if this was due to no oil to the turbo because of the wrong pedestal shipped and installed with the turbo the first time. He said no.....he was still adamant that it did not matter which pedestal you used and you can feed oil externally or internally through pedestal . This is after I told him that I spoke with many powerstroke technicians that work for well known companies such as Techs at PSE, Amy at SPE, and Jared at Midwest. All say that it absolutely matters.

So I ask that he please take off the base that feeds externally and please swap with a base for my specific year model 2017 that feeds internally which they did. Installed along with no limit piping kit and exergy 10 mm stroker and running GREAT!

I will restate I did ask the tech when the turbo first arrived with the pedestal that feed externally "do I need to swap bases” and was told “no either will work fine.” Which I and the technician trusted was fine. Drop in should mean remove old and install new.

On another note. I did not Measure the difference between the heights or other dimensions between the two pedestals but I suspect there is some difference as well because to remove the original turbo took about 45 minutes; to install the cheetah with the wrong year model pedestal took almost 10 hours; to install cheetah with correct year model pedestal took about 45 minutes. The up pipes were a bear to get connected the first time. And that’s putting it mildly.

But now.......she’s great! I’m am finally enjoying her.

Black AOD

Reaction score
So. I sent the turbo back to fleece and they fixed the turbo. Here’s what the work order said:

" Received 8/27/19. SN: 35-27990. Worn piston ring groove on bearing housing, caused axial play and compressor wheel hit compressor cover. Cleaned and refreshed turbine housing and turbine housing insert, replaced all other parts.”

- Powerstroke 6.7L Turbo Severe
Duty Full Rebuild Kit (2015 - 2016)

-10 Blade GT37 Turbine Wheel

-Ground to 12.60mm Tip Height and .250" radius

-63mm Fleece Performance Garrett

-VNT FMW (2.5' Legal) Balanced - NOT FOR SALE INDIVIDUALLY

- 15-current 6.7 powerstroke lower pedestal gasket

- 17-18 6.7 powerstroke pedestal to cart gasket

- 15-16 6.7 powerstroke Coolant line with hole on right side of tube

I ask the fleece tech if this was due to no oil to the turbo because of the wrong pedestal shipped and installed with the turbo the first time. He said no.....he was still adamant that it did not matter which pedestal you used and you can feed oil externally or internally through pedestal . This is after I told him that I spoke with many powerstroke technicians that work for well known companies such as Techs at PSE, Amy at SPE, and Jared at Midwest. All say that it absolutely matters.

So I ask that he please take off the base that feeds externally and please swap with a base for my specific year model 2017 that feeds internally which they did. Installed along with no limit piping kit and exergy 10 mm stroker and running GREAT!

I will restate I did ask the tech when the turbo first arrived with the pedestal that feed externally "do I need to swap bases” and was told “no either will work fine.” Which I and the technician trusted was fine. Drop in should mean remove old and install new.

On another note. I did not Measure the difference between the heights or other dimensions between the two pedestals but I suspect there is some difference as well because to remove the original turbo took about 45 minutes; to install the cheetah with the wrong year model pedestal took almost 10 hours; to install cheetah with correct year model pedestal took about 45 minutes. The up pipes were a bear to get connected the first time. And that’s putting it mildly.

But now.......she’s great! I’m am finally enjoying her.

A Cheetah and a 10mm pump! I bet that runs really good.

Black AOD

Reaction score
Oh yeah!

I'm glad it is working out well for you now. Glad you got it fixed too.

How is that truck turning those big 38's now? Do you feel the need to re-gear the truck with it being so big or does it feel OK still?

harrelljr99

Reaction score
Feels good. I installed this TCM profile from Tyrant awhile back and like the shift points much better.

189d21bd9ff3226ed9021045372b3de5.jpg