Axle shafts

Turbosuzuki

Reaction score
Thought I had everything needed to fix the hub bearings but it looks like I may need new axle shafts. Spoke with a mechanic and he said the shafts could be damaged. Any idea on a decent one?
I believe I need new seals also I think it's three if I'm correct. Any help would be great trying to get everything together before I tear into this thing. Oh and do I need new u joints as well? I'm just gonna replace the stubby shaft so the new hub bearing has a good surface to ride on not a bad one to mess up the new bearings

Last edited:

ncollins64

Reaction score
So what damaged the axles or why does he think that? I’ve never had one get damaged to need replacing. If you have to replace everything I’d do u joints and all. Oem spicer shafts or even Yukon.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Once you toast the inner axle shaft bearing then the axle is toast. I had found an entire assembled left shaft, seals and u joint and all on ebay for less than what the u joint and seals costed. That was years ago but the seller had alot of them. But yea the inner bearing chews up the axle stub

Turbosuzuki

Reaction score
Thanks for replying guys. I'm new to a 4x4. I bought the truck about 14 months ago and the front locking hubs have been engaged. Now I have tried unlocking them but you can't get far without the front making really bad noises and vibratings.
As long as they are locked I'm good. Now I haven't messed with the 4x4 switch on the dash. I thought as long as I keep it in 2x4 I'm good. I was told I needed front bearings so I bought them but not long ago another mechanic said the axle shafts are most likely damaged.
I don't drive the truck often but I have had to do a couple trips of about 164 miles the last 2 weeks. Well last night it made a noise in the front so I pulled over couldn't find anything wrong. I cruised 55 after that never did it again.
Anyway I found Spicer has the axle shaft stubbs with seals for bother sides 414.99. Does that sound about right?

Turbosuzuki

Reaction score
Sorry guys truck is a 01 f250 7.3 4x4 with 274,000. It has 285/75r16 tires and is mostly stock. I don't go off road or anything. The tires are firestones but I plan on getting new ones soon hopefully. I have new shocks for it also. I tried greasing everything up front as well.

I just need to get the hubs unlocked because it can't be good for things I don't think