EGT, how hot is too hot, and what can be done

TrickTruck

Reaction score
Put Silver on a diet.
Gtx w tyrant tunes and egt probe
Erg, ccv, full pipe kit, upgraded intercooler, 5" exhaust
2016 F350
Other details in sig

Had some problems getting sotf working so I requested a single max power tune.
Loaded it late last night and took it for a test drive.

After warming up I brought it to a near stop and gave it wot.
It's fast! Mean sounding. Kinda angery.
Around 80 mph the egt alarm went off and I backed out of it. When I looked at the maximum it was 1499F!

I've always heard to set alarms at 1250F and dont exceed 1400F.

What can the 6.7 really handle?

When I let off it was still climbing pretty fast. Who knows where it would top out?

What can I do?
Water wetter to improve the intercooler heat txfr?
Fuel addative from Lubrication Engineers, they claim lots of things including reduced egt?
Bigger turbo?
Run on a lower level tune?

I like how it's running, but for sure don't want to damage anything.

Can we have a discussion on this? W/o devolving into a pissing match over who's parts these are, please.

8WR_ZJ

Reaction score
Jomax has had his up to 2000 before on multiple occasions. Running GH tune race file for everything even hauling his trailers around. But like you I back out at 1500. I don't live on the edge of destruction.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Six_Sloww

Reaction score
If you are pulling a long grade and seeing 1400* temps for extended periods either tune down or back out.

If you are doing wot run peak temperature is not as much of a concern. Lots of factors effect egt like gearing, tire size, ambient temperature, hard parts, tuning.

As long as you aren't having a hard time controlling egt during normal driving like passing, accelerating, or maintaining speed I wouldn't worry about trying to remedy with more aftermarket parts.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Last edited:

farm boy

Reaction score
Put Silver on a diet.
Gtx w tyrant tunes and egt probe
Erg, ccv, full pipe kit, upgraded intercooler, 5" exhaust
2016 F350
Other details in sig

Had some problems getting sotf working so I requested a single max power tune.
Loaded it late last night and took it for a test drive.

After warming up I brought it to a near stop and gave it wot.
It's fast! Mean sounding. Kinda angery.
Around 80 mph the egt alarm went off and I backed out of it. When I looked at the maximum it was 1499F!

I've always heard to set alarms at 1250F and dont exceed 1400F.

What can the 6.7 really handle?

When I let off it was still climbing pretty fast. Who knows where it would top out?

What can I do?
Water wetter to improve the intercooler heat txfr?
Fuel addative from Lubrication Engineers, they claim lots of things including reduced egt?
Bigger turbo?
Run on a lower level tune?

I like how it's running, but for sure don't want to damage anything.

Can we have a discussion on this? W/o devolving into a pissing match over who's parts these are, please.

What are your cruising EGT's at around 70 mph reading? Mine seem to run higher than my other trucks according to this GTX.
I'm at about 900* cruising at 70-75mph.

TrickTruck

Reaction score
Backroads and stop&wait traffic so far. Will probably get it out on the highway this weekend.

Still trying to work my way through a faulty sotf

ckrueg

Reaction score
That seems hot. I'm at about 600 at 75 mph and 1750 rpms. I gotta be on it pretty hard to see 900+

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

TrickTruck

Reaction score
Got some help on facebook, from a guy who neither makes the part, nor sold it to me. Thank you Thomas Tysiak! You neither mocked me, nor belittled my choice of purchasing from a competitor, you simply helped.

Turns out tyrant shipped me the wrong No Limit switch.

Further, it is so far out of range that it likely was the cause of such high EGTs. Had I not purchased the optional pyro, set alarms and then obeyed them I could have been looking at some serious engine damage.

I've unplugged the NoLimit switch and plugged the sensor back in. Will test tomorrow.

Last edited:

TrickTruck

Reaction score
The engine roars on Extreme

The trans is too mild for my taste. It feels like stock. Very well done if that's what you want, but I was hoping it would shift more like my G3arhead tuned '12. That is a little harder on the shifts and a little earlier to downshift keeping the revs up on the motor.

Does Cale do any custom tuning? Maybe I'll ask him to tweak it a little for me once we get this SOTF problem sorted out.

Jomax

Reaction score
I beat the snot out of my 2015 and hit 2000 so many times I lost count. These things are stout.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TrickTruck

Reaction score
I'd hate to be YOUR pistons. You do know that aluminum MELTS at 1221°F right?

BTW, had a Mustang GT give me the rev & squeal at a stop light. He took off so I gave it the wood. Saw him shift hard (little puff of black from his car, which tells me it's not stock) and I was right on his tail. He sees me gaining on him and the fu(ker brake checks me hard. If it weren't for Ford doing an awesome job on the brakes that GT would have a nice imprint of the front of my truck.

Truck performed excellently. Not only did it reel in that hot little mustang, but when he was a douche Silver stopped on a dime.

My passengers were suitably impressed.
Silver's like "meh, all in a day's work."
:D

Oh, and with W/ IAT plugged in it's not breaking 1500 anymore.

Six_Sloww

Reaction score
If egts were a measure of piston temperature, there were no oil squirters and pistons were made of pure aluminum that may be a concern. But none of the above are true.

blackseven

Reaction score
I use a Speedhut EGT gauge in the stock EGR position. It always seems to read cooler, but I'm comparing that to the Stock EGT probe before ******** my truck, after the turbo charger which is likely consistently higher temp?

I also have Tyrant's SOTF tunes for my '11. I use the street tune mostly and pull a small 19 ft key west fishing boat in 90+ degree heat, EGT's stay under 1000F even on hard acceleration and long pulls. Boat weighs under 5k I'd estimate.

The GH street tune I used previously was ok, but I hated it for the same reason you liked it. For some reason they really crank up the exhaust brake, even when not in tow mode. Feels like the exhaust brake is always on, as soon as you let off the throttle you're thrown forward, or taking off from a stop the truck hesitates as the turbo starts to spool. NL tried a few times to fix the GH tune, which only made it slightly more driveable. When towing, though, the tune was great! Pulled my 15k lb 5th wheel with no issues.
With the Tyrant tunes it drives more like stock, but just with more power. The Street tune has a really mild transmission tune which is great for driving in heavy traffic. The Extreme tune - switch position 5 gets real aggressive.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
If egts were a measure of piston temperature, there were no oil squirters and pistons were made of pure aluminum that may be a concern. But none of the above are true.

correct. Exhaust gas temeperatures and cylinder temps are WAY different. Ford rates the motors to run continuous at 1400* EGT, forever . cruising temps are so varied for different applications , but average should be 700* at 70 mph on flat ground for a standard ccsb 4x4 unloaded. could be more, could be less with tons of other factors .

HeavyAssault

Reaction score
So you are now using a single tune, with factory IAT installed correct?? Do you plan to use the SOTF switch?

I'm seeing under 700* @>70MPH, more like 625-650* flat and level terrain. It's pretty hard to go over 1000* holding 30PSI boost, running thru 80MPH.

TrickTruck

Reaction score
Yes, thats how it is now. Yes, plan to use sotf if I can ever get it working. Tyrant sent another switch and it aeens to be the same exact no limit as the one in the truck now.

Only been on the highway once and forgot to look at egts. My bad.

mckinney1

Reaction score
Good info here. I had an issue with the SOTF as well, they sent me the wrong one and it was throwing codes. After I got the new No Limit Switch I have not had a code or check engine light sense.
I find the temps some people are listing to be pretty low compaired to what I see. I can drive it normal and only get on it a little and be at 900+ degrees. I live at about 7200' above see level and have plenty of hills where I live.
This weekend I took the 5th wheel up into the mountains and I can get 1200-1300 degrees just maintaining 5-10 MPH over the speed limit. The 5th wheel is heavy, maybe 14,500# the way it was filled? There are some big hills and caught a few lights and had to stop in the middle of a big hill.
I had the alarm set to 1300 degrees but I think i'm going to change that to 1400 so I can go faster :)

gnxtc2

Reaction score
On the EGT issue, the temps is related to how aggressive the fueling is.

I'm currently running Tyrant tunes on my 7.3. I'm noticing that the EGTs are higher with Cale's tunes compared to DynoProven, GH, Tony's tunes.

If EGTs are a concern for ya, have Cale scale back the fueling.

I'm probably going to put my '16 on a diet with Cale's tunes soon as I get some time.

Anyone have a pic of the correct switch so I can re-do my bracket. Planning on putting the switch on the right side of the OBD2 connector.

Billy T.
[email protected]

Attachments

• 20180515_150442.jpg
    20180515_150442.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 98
Last edited:

TrickTruck

Reaction score
I was on the highway briefly today. @70mph. Tried to pay attention to EGTs. They were between 600° and 800° depending on slight incline or decline over the brief trip. Mostly right in the 700° range.
Boost was sub 5psi

I thought with the big intercooler it would be cooler than that.