Just broke down

webb06

Reaction score
Sucks to hear man.

I have a question to the masses.... If these things are notorious for hpfp's contaminating the entire fuel system when they go bad and then you have to replace the entire fuel system, then does someone actually sell an aftermarket system that filters the fuel after the hpfp and BEFORE it enters the heads?

Seems to me that would solve the "entire fuel system is contaminated" situation". Then you're only replacing the pump when it goes bad and a filter, not everything.

You'd think that with all of the folks running higher horsepower setups in the 6.4, there'd be something out there? Maybe there is and I haven't noticed. Please correct me if I'm wrong!

There was talk of someone trying to find a filter but I don't think anything ever came of it. It would have to be a filter that can withstand extremely high pressures and be pretty small considering where it would be at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jonnydime

Reaction score
Sucks to hear man.

I have a question to the masses.... If these things are notorious for hpfp's contaminating the entire fuel system when they go bad and then you have to replace the entire fuel system, then does someone actually sell an aftermarket system that filters the fuel after the hpfp and BEFORE it enters the heads?

Seems to me that would solve the "entire fuel system is contaminated" situation". Then you're only replacing the pump when it goes bad and a filter, not everything.

You'd think that with all of the folks running higher horsepower setups in the 6.4, there'd be something out there? Maybe there is and I haven't noticed. Please correct me if I'm wrong!
You would need a 2 very small high pressure(24,000psi+)filters able to capture 3 micron and bigger particles and still be able to mount them in the factory lines that come off the HPFP and into each head.

Strokersace

Reaction score
There was talk of someone trying to find a filter but I don't think anything ever came of it. It would have to be a filter that can withstand extremely high pressures and be pretty small considering where it would be at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You would need a 2 very small high pressure(24,000psi+)filters able to capture 3 micron and bigger particles and still be able to mount them in the factory lines that come off the HPFP and into each head.
What I would invision is a remote mounted filter along the frame rail. Yes it would require two lines coming out of the pump and two lines coming back in to the motor compartment to the heads. That takes away your space restriction, but there is still the issue of the extreme high pressure filters.

Armybyrd

Reaction score
Do you guys mean the hpfp that was just installed needs to be replaced? The way I understood it the old one went bad pumping metal into the whole fuel system. Or has them trying to start it since recirculated metal into the now replaced hpfp?

T_W6.7

Reaction score
Do you guys mean the hpfp that was just installed needs to be replaced? The way I understood it the old one went bad pumping metal into the whole fuel system. Or has them trying to start it since recirculated metal into the now replaced hpfp?

If your warranty company covered the high pressure fuel pump, which is fuel system related, why wouldn't they cover injectors? Odds are yes, the "new" one they just put on also needs to be replaced, there is metal everywhere in your system.

Armybyrd

Reaction score
Hey guys looking to start getting all the parts needed to fix the truck. What all will I need and are there any recommended vendors? Im just wanting to get it running and will be trading it in. I know Ill need new injectors and the fuel lines. Is this something I should be able to do without a lift? Im not new to working on cars.

sootie

Reaction score
It would be easier if you lift the cab but it is possible to do it without.

neverkickn

Reaction score
The way I see it the dealer owes you a hpfp since their incompetence compromised the new one that they installed.

co04cobra

Reaction score
Hey guys looking to start getting all the parts needed to fix the truck. What all will I need and are there any recommended vendors? Im just wanting to get it running and will be trading it in. I know Ill need new injectors and the fuel lines. Is this something I should be able to do without a lift? Im not new to working on cars.

Here are torque specs and specific procedures for installing the injectors and other components.

http://powerstrokearmy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1828

They need to be followed very diligently.

The fact the shop where you did have it didn't follow the correct procedures is part of the reason you're in this mess.

sootie

Reaction score
Saw your other thread but probably better if you keep the information all in one place so ppl can read the back story. Post the invoice from the dealer with your personal info blacked out so we can see what they actually did. Based on what you have said, you don't entirely understand what all has been done either. Regardless, you need a diagnostic tool!!

Armybyrd

Reaction score
Well from what I've read when the hpfp goes bad it pumps metal throughout the entire fuel system. What I don't understand is why the Ford dealer tried to start the truck after replacing just the hpfp.
Can't find the paperwork from the dealer but I do know they changed the hpfp and 2 injectors.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online