Just broke down

Armybyrd

Reaction score
I've got an '08 6.4 with 154k. Has ******** tunes. I've had the truck since 131k and never had a problem. I drive about a mile today and the battery light came on and it just shut off. Luckily I was able to coast into a gas station. I checked underhood and my belt is fine. I even changed it back to the stock tune but no luck. It just cranks but won't start. Currently waiting 1 1/2 hr for a tow should. If I have to take it to a shop will it void my warranty(got a 2 yr when I bought it) since I ******d the spd and have a custom tune? Also after the battery light came on the oil light came on as well although it hasn't been 5k since my last change. No check engine light came on though. First thoughts are alternator?

After a long crank it started then idled rough for a few secs before dying.

Last edited:

webb06

Reaction score
The truck wont start after returned to stock. Oil light will come on if the key is on but engine isn't running so that probably isn't a big deal. Sounds like alternator is bad and it drained the batteries. Will it even crank?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Armybyrd

Reaction score
The truck wont start after returned to stock. Oil light will come on if the key is on but engine isn't running so that probably isn't a big deal. Sounds like alternator is bad and it drained the batteries. Will it even crank?

My truck does start even after the tune is returned to stock. Sct tuner if it matters. I got it to start but it idled rough then died a few secs later. Riding in the tow truck back to my place. Luckily Geico covers up to 50 miles.

webb06

Reaction score
They will usually start once. But won't a second time. The fact that it idled rough and died sounds more like what your problem could be. Maybe remove the top fuel filter and make sure you're getting fuel there.

From there you'll need a scanner of some sort to monitor

co04cobra

Reaction score
Did you buy it through a Ford dealer? Was the 2yr warranty offered through them or independent insurance company?

Armybyrd

Reaction score
Did you buy it through a Ford dealer? Was the 2yr warranty offered through them or independent insurance company?

I got it through an independent co when I bought my truck at a used car dealer a year ago. I'll have to dig for the paperwork here in a few. Truck is st a local Ford dealer.

Jomax

Reaction score
Ford dealer has nada to do with aftermarket warranties.

Ford will find the issue and call on your behalf to the warranty company to see if they accept it or not.. Hopefully the company doesn't ask if it's tuned.

My brother had aftermarket warranty on his 2010 TDI Jetta. It worked great, and he used a VW dealer for all repairs, they would call the company and the company approved it every time.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Ford will find the issue and call on your behalf to the warranty company to see if they accept it or not.. Hopefully the company doesn't ask if it's tuned.

My brother had aftermarket warranty on his 2010 TDI Jetta. It worked great, and he used a VW dealer for all repairs, they would call the company and the company approved it every time.

First time Ive ever heard of that working out. We bought our van, the extended warranty, and all service from our ford dealer. The trans was recalled, they kept saying they didnt have parts, and when it went out they claimed it wasnt defective inline with the recall, wouldnt try to get it covered under the warranty they sold us, and then tried to charge me twice what a trans cost through ford. My experience is colored by that lol

Armybyrd

Reaction score
I know Ford has nothing to do with an aftermarket warranty-I just had it towed there since I wouldn't want some random place working on it. I just looked at my paperwork and the it's through Karr guard. I guess I'll find it tomorrow if the warranty was worth the extra grand.

co04cobra

Reaction score
99.9% of the time that type of warranty isn't worth the paper it's printed on, literally.

I know that sucks, but it is a HUGE money racket in the car business in general.

We have never and will never sell, or offer, crap like that to our customers. However, we get about 10 calls a week wanting us to buy in to selling this kind of thing.

There is a big kick back for the dealer and gets them off the hook of offering or honoring their own warranty as well.

That said, it's worth a shot since you already purchased it. Have the dealer diagnose it and contact the company to see what they say. The ******d part should be irregardless to them.

They will grasp for any straw they can to void it.

If they won't honor it, don't let the dealer take advantage of you either. There aren't a lot of dealers that can diagnose, or repair a 6.4 correctly, let alone a tuned one.

Just had a Ford dealer in VA last week pull a good one on a customer. He purchased a ******d 6.4 from them, and was told the dashdaq was a GPS unit:doh::doh:.

It didn't have the tune loaded in it either. However, the constant msg to drive to regen and belching white smoke seemed fine to them to go ahead and sell.

Once I got him through getting the tune loaded he was ecstatic. He had purchased a additional warranty through them, but obviously now is concerned if he did need it if there is any one there competent to do repairs.

Armybyrd

Reaction score
99.9% of the time that type of warranty isn't worth the paper it's printed on, literally.

I know that sucks, but it is a HUGE money racket in the car business in general.

We have never and will never sell, or offer, crap like that to our customers. However, we get about 10 calls a week wanting us to buy in to selling this kind of thing.

There is a big kick back for the dealer and gets them off the hook of offering or honoring their own warranty as well.

That said, it's worth a shot since you already purchased it. Have the dealer diagnose it and contact the company to see what they say. The ******d part should be irregardless to them.

They will grasp for any straw they can to void it.

If they won't honor it, don't let the dealer take advantage of you either. There aren't a lot of dealers that can diagnose, or repair a 6.4 correctly, let alone a tuned one.

Just had a Ford dealer in VA last week pull a good one on a customer. He purchased a ******d 6.4 from them, and was told the dashdaq was a GPS unit:doh::doh:.

It didn't have the tune loaded in it either. However, the constant msg to drive to regen and belching white smoke seemed fine to them to go ahead and sell.

Once I got him through getting the tune loaded he was ecstatic. He had purchased a additional warranty through them, but obviously now is concerned if he did need it if there is any one there competent to do repairs.

What part of va was that? Can you share what dealer that was? I just moved to Wv last week.

Armybyrd

Reaction score
I just called my warranty place (century service? and they said to have the shop diagnose the truck and they would see what they can do from there. That doesn't sound too reassuring. My warranty was for 2 yrs or 24k which Im just a few hundred miles shy of.

co04cobra

Reaction score
What part of va was that? Can you share what dealer that was? I just moved to Wv last week.

I'd rather not post the dealer's name. It was not directed to them in a demeaning manner, just saying that a lot of new dealers are under staffed to handle the proper repairs that may be needed.

General location of the dealer is in the NOVA area. What part of WV did you move to?

Armybyrd

Reaction score
It really wasn't that cold at the time yesterday. Not even 40s Id say.
Just heard back and its the high pressure fuel pump. Fuel rail pressure sensor. $4k.

Latest posts

Members online