305/50r20 XL Load Rating VS E Rating

redneck1

Reaction score
I've been checking out some 305/50 tires. I currently run toyo m/t 35x12.5 e range. Bored with the look, looking to eventually go lower with a low pro tire. Just trying to figure out load ratings. I was checking out some Cooper zeon with xl load rating and wondering why they wouldn't work. My current tires are 3256 lb and the Coopers are 3050ish. I tow a gooseneck some so I don't want to compromise load, but it hardly seems much difference. Does someone know the technical differences that would make me avoid a xl load rating?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Black AOD

Reaction score
Sidewall strength goes down A LOT on XL load rated tires vs the bigger E load ratings.

Find a 33x12.50 tire that has an E load rating, that's fairly reasonably sized to a 305/50 or 305/55 tire. Just a little wider.

Nitto's new tire is F load rated

ChattyCathy

Reaction score
In for the replies. My brother just did a 305 Nitto and I would like to hear what others have done etc.

redneck1

Reaction score
Sidewall strength goes down A LOT on XL load rated tires vs the bigger E load ratings.

Find a 33x12.50 tire that has an E load rating, that's fairly reasonably sized to a 305/50 or 305/55 tire. Just a little wider.

Nitto's new tire is F load rated
I know it goes down, but then why only a 200 lb difference in weight rating? I've always heard e load called 10 ply, are they under rated?

rosspulliam

Reaction score
I recently switched to 305/50R20 XL tires (Toyo Proxes STII). I can definitely tell the sidewalls are not as stiff as the 265/75R16 Michelin LTX E tires I took off. I haven't towed anything yet, so I can only provide real feedback on running around empty. So far I'm holding onto my E wheels and tires in case I need to swap back and forth, but I'm hopeful the Toyos will serve my needs fine.

I have read some posts about guys who have run medium to heavy loads on P tires and ran into issues with premature tire wear due to excessive sidewall flex. I just can't speak to it personally.

F1PdPde.jpg

Black AOD

Reaction score
I know it goes down, but then why only a 200 lb difference in weight rating? I've always heard e load called 10 ply, are they under rated?

Yes XL is actually considered a D Load Range Tire, 4 Ply Sidewall I believe.

I'm not sure why numerically the load rating # is so minor difference but I know actual strength wise, XL tires don't even come close to E or F load range tires for towing purposes.

A lot of guys get away with towing on low profile XL load range tires though. Not sure how long some of those tires last and I personally would never do it but hey whatever floats your boat and it's your money!

rosspulliam

Reaction score
I'll add the difference in sidewall flex is really apparent when doing stuff like coming up the drive over curbs leading into my driveway. You can really see the sidewalls load up where the Es just used to roll over and not flex at all.

redneck1

Reaction score
I figured the flex would probably kill them. I would suppose the mileage on xl tires probably sucks. I only tow about 20 percent of the time. I like the idea, but I agree with you, black aod, it's feels like a gamble. Blow outs suck and tend to tear up fenders and paint.

kcpanages

Reaction score
I recently switched to 305/50R20 XL tires (Toyo Proxes STII). I can definitely tell the sidewalls are not as stiff as the 265/75R16 Michelin LTX E tires I took off. I haven't towed anything yet, so I can only provide real feedback on running around empty. So far I'm holding onto my E wheels and tires in case I need to swap back and forth, but I'm hopeful the Toyos will serve my needs fine.

I have read some posts about guys who have run medium to heavy loads on P tires and ran into issues with premature tire wear due to excessive sidewall flex. I just can't speak to it personally.

F1PdPde.jpg

First off, that truck is sitting sexy!

I'm running 305/45r22 XL General grabber UHP...... 2.5" drop on back..... bounces a lil more then stock tires..... I pull a boat and 12x6 trailer...... I WONT put anything to heavy on it.... has a lot of side wall flex
27eeb5b806cfcc729a81823b845e146e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

redneck1

Reaction score

I'm running 305/45r22 XL General grabber UHP...... 2.5" drop on back..... bounces a lil more then stock tires..... I pull a boat and 12x6 trailer...... I WONT put anything to heavy on it.... has a lot of side wall flex
27eeb5b806cfcc729a81823b845e146e.jpg

That's a killer stance! That a 2wd?

rosspulliam

Reaction score

Thanks! My truck is a slow moving project, but getting closer every day to having it mostly done!

That's basically how I feel about it. The only trailer I own is a 21' Crownline boat that comes in about 5500 gross or so if I had to guess. The only other things I put on it is an open car trailer that I borrow from my uncle with my Dodge Dart on it and sometimes rent a smaller RV.

I definitely would not load up super heavy with these tires on the truck. I run around empty 95% of the time, and the truck is mainly just a toy for me. The XL rating made me feel comfortable they would carry the truck around for my needs just fine, and also I could point to the weight rating on the tire that exceeds the weight rating on the door sticker if anyone ever gave me grief during my safety inspection.

Did find it interesting once I got them the 275/55R20 fronts are made in USA but the 305/50R20 are made in Malaysia.

rosspulliam

Reaction score
That's a killer stance! That a 2wd?

I know you quoted the other guy's picture, but your avatar makes me think you've got an older truck like mine. One thing I'll say is that in the 22" rim sizes I couldn't find one I liked with an offset that would work.

Do you plan on dropping your truck? Mine is dropped 3/4 with DJM's kit, and I used a +12 offset (5.5" backspace) 20x9 rim. When I'm trucking down a road with a bunch of heaves in it (frequent in N. Texas, the entire length of US 69 in Oklahoma lol) my front tires will go inside of the fender and rub the inner fender liner above the tire as the suspension does it's job trying to smooth things out. If I had any less offset the wheels/tires wouldn't tuck and I'd beat the piss out of my fenders or have to figure out how to extend the bump stop and take the beating in my kidneys.

Here's a pic where you can see what I'm talking about with suspension travel going up into the top of the inner fender liner.

Kmx3C0E.jpg

kcpanages

Reaction score
Thanks! My truck is a slow moving project, but getting closer every day to having it mostly done!

That's basically how I feel about it. The only trailer I own is a 21' Crownline boat that comes in about 5500 gross or so if I had to guess. The only other things I put on it is an open car trailer that I borrow from my uncle with my Dodge Dart on it and sometimes rent a smaller RV.

I definitely would not load up super heavy with these tires on the truck. I run around empty 95% of the time, and the truck is mainly just a toy for me. The XL rating made me feel comfortable they would carry the truck around for my needs just fine, and also I could point to the weight rating on the tire that exceeds the weight rating on the door sticker if anyone ever gave me grief during my safety inspection.

Did find it interesting once I got them the 275/55R20 fronts are made in USA but the 305/50R20 are made in Malaysia.

Yea, I don't tow much..... was having a hard time finding toyo proxes S/T, so I went with Generals..... I'll say this..... they hook good off the line, and hold pretty well as I'm pouring the power to it

kcpanages

Reaction score
I know you quoted the other guy's picture, but your avatar makes me think you've got an older truck like mine. One thing I'll say is that in the 22" rim sizes I couldn't find one I liked with an offset that would work.

Do you plan on dropping your truck? Mine is dropped 3/4 with DJM's kit, and I used a +12 offset (5.5" backspace) 20x9 rim. When I'm trucking down a road with a bunch of heaves in it (frequent in N. Texas, the entire length of US 69 in Oklahoma lol) my front tires will go inside of the fender and rub the inner fender liner above the tire as the suspension does it's job trying to smooth things out. If I had any less offset the wheels/tires wouldn't tuck and I'd beat the piss out of my fenders or have to figure out how to extend the bump stop and take the beating in my kidneys.

Here's a pic where you can see what I'm talking about with suspension travel going up into the top of the inner fender liner.

Kmx3C0E.jpg

22x10 with a -18 would have fit you, but trimming would have had to be done

rosspulliam

Reaction score
https://youtu.be/lmh6R_XEF0s

That's 22x10 -18

But they wouldn't have tucked completely under the fender. With how low it is and how soft the front suspension is after 250k miles it had to tuck under the fender or else I'd have tire/fender contact just driving down the road. That fender liner I'm hitting is 1.5" above the fender lip.

Plus, I can't stand anything that sticks out :badidea: :toast:

kcpanages

Reaction score
But they wouldn't have tucked completely under the fender. With how low it is and how soft the front suspension is after 250k miles it had to tuck under the fender or else I'd have tire/fender contact just driving down the road.

Plus, I can't stand anything that sticks out :badidea: :toast:

I got ya,,,, I like it out a lil of fender.... that video is a 3/5 drop.
805e07131d3332828c2bb80026e7967a.jpg

redneck1

Reaction score

Kmx3C0E.jpg
That's my old truck. It was an 02. Current truck is a 16 4x4, which best suits my needs. Grew up in the lowered 1/2 ton era, though. Still in my blood. Love the lowered 3/4 ton look with the wheels just outside the fender well!

kcpanages

Reaction score
That's my old truck. It was an 02. Current truck is a 16 4x4, which best suits my needs. Grew up in the lowered 1/2 ton era, though. Still in my blood. Love the lowered 3/4 ton look with the wheels just outside the fender well!

Same here... I'm 38..... nothing like some 15x10 5 star hammers! Lol

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.