Fuel Pressure drop code P2291 ???

300000 and counting

Reaction score
So a couple of times now when I pull out of my driveway for work and just start driving my rail pressure drops to 1800 and I lose power. (the truck does not stall or run ruff) as soon as I let off the throttle and get back on it the fuel pressure rises to normal; it won't drop again and my truck runs just fine. Has anybody every experienced this? I'm getting code P2291 which is for low fuel pressure, so that's not a big help.

My truck has dual fuelers and an Airdog 2 on it, I have new filters I'm going to put on the Airdog but I highly doubt that is the issue.

300000 and counting

Reaction score
It took a few days for it to happen again but this time I got a video! Does anybody know what would cause this? It only happens after the truck sits all night and it doesn't happen every morning; it almost reminds me of a leak and air in the lines but I haven't noticed a leak anywhere.

https://youtu.be/qcFRTXyjVzA

Reaction score
Check the pressure control valve on the back of the driver's side rail for any kind of debris. If there's debris, it could be a sign of a CP4 starting to go. If the truck has higher miles on it and the debris is minimal, you might get away with just replacing the valve. I see it quite often on these trucks. The valve gets stuck open intermittently and causes low rail pressure codes.

sootie

Reaction score
Have you popped an analog gauge on the Schroeder valve on the fuel cooler to see what you have for low pressure?

Could be a chaffed HPFP harness but typically that throws the P0088 code.

sootie

Reaction score
Check the pressure control valve on the back of the driver's side rail for any kind of debris. If there's debris, it could be a sign of a CP4 starting to go. If the truck has higher miles on it and the debris is minimal, you might get away with just replacing the valve. I see it quite often on these trucks. The valve gets stuck open intermittently and causes low rail pressure codes.

on six fours?

300000 and counting

Reaction score
Code P0087 popped up yesterday and then this morning I back out of my driveway and the truck actually shut off! I started it and it had low pressure for a few seconds and then ran fine, any ideas? What is really throwing me for a loop is it only happens after sitting all night and it doesn't happen every time.

Also my cruise control has stopped working, I don't know if its related but to me its weird all this is happening at once.

Last edited:

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Ultimate best place is #1 &#2 injector lines. Take them loose and crank the truck with a hose running into a clean contaimer. Then filter thru a coffee filter and look for shiny bits. Checking the secondary filter housing is usually a decent indicator as well. If it looks like a strilpers tit in there youre typicallh screwed...

sootie

Reaction score
Ultimate best place is #1 &#2 injector lines. Take them loose and crank the truck with a hose running into a clean contaimer. Then filter thru a coffee filter and look for shiny bits. Checking the secondary filter housing is usually a decent indicator as well. If it looks like a strilpers tit in there youre typicallh screwed...

DANGEROUS

sootie

Reaction score
Where you recommend getting the fuel from?

normally i would remove the upper fuel filter and suck fuel from the bottom of the bowl with a gravy baster or big syringe.

Also I have an Elite fuel bowl ****** and I'm running an Airdog 2.

Not familiar with the Elite setup sorry.

sootie

Reaction score
So I guess I need to get fuel out of my Airdog filters? Maybe cut the filter apart as well and check them out?

I guess so...

I like the factory bowl because A: you can usually see the sparkles in the bottom and B: the cartridge leaves the perfect amount of unfiltered fuel left in the bowl to get a sample.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
DANGEROUS

Thats actually where ford says to pull it from, and it doesnt come out at 30k psi, as there is no real restriction causing the hi pressure. I usually use the secondary , but the injector lines are tye ford recommended spot.

Latest posts

Members online