2004 Super Duty Axle Swap

CanadianStroker

Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm just about to start my axle swap next week on my 1997 F-250 5 speed Super Cab short box 4x4. Been looking for awhile about a couple answers for my questions, but haven't found anything 100%. A lot of the post that used to have pictures, are now not viewable because of photobucket. I kind of have a hard time understanding without pictures, and most are gone now.

Currently what I have for my swap at the moment,
PMF RSK 3.5 with the super duty axle offset
PMF 3 inch track bar bracket
PMF adjustable track bar
3 inch drop Pitman arm

I have just about everything taken off of my rolled 2004 F-350 that I think I'll need. I still have it, incase theres something I forgot.

I'm planning to have the axles powder coated black before the install, and the small other parts like the drop bracket and trackbar painted in red to try to match the truck.

Questions:
I couldn't find anything that wasn't conflicting on the front super duty axle for the spring perch location. It sounds like I have to cut the perches off and move them in about a 1/4 inch on each side? But then some were saying you can bolt it in as is, But I imagine the spring wouldn't be sitting straight on the axle then?
Or does the PMF kit account for this? and I'm just worrying about nothing.

Is it worth, while having the front of the truck apart to use the steering box off my 2004 truck and swap it in? I was probably going to get a reman box if its worth the hassle, I know Redhead is probably the best, but it's a little more than I have currently to spend. Any benefits to swapping boxes?

Hardware from the '04 like the spring bolts and such look to be in good shape, should I reuse or buy new hardware?

The rear shock mounts on the rear axle of the 2004. Do I have to cut both off and re-weld the onto the front side of the axle? Or can the mounts be moved on the frame of the truck to able to bolt them on the back of the axle? (I took a look and it doesn't look possible with the tank in the way).

Hooking up the rear brakes, Is there anything special i need to do to hook up the rear brake lines to the truck? is there a proportioning valve that needs to be taken? or can I just install a new line?

I had read somewhere someone using a explorer or sport track E-brake cable set up for the parking brake, I'd like to know what kind of parking cable used if possible as my truck is a standard.

I think that was all my questions, any help or pictures would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Matt