Proper flush and fill method for main 6.7 radiator

RyanD

Reaction score
Guys,

Just replaced my secondary radiator, and realized the coolant in the main radiator is 2 years old now (~25K miles). I'd like to flush and fill over the holiday, but was wondering if there was some special technique for these? My proposed method, which I've done on my other vehicales:

Drain truck
refill with distilled water
run truck until hot
drain

Repeat this process until the drain runs mostly clear, then refill with 50/50 and add coolant additive.

Is this an acceptable method or should I be careful about upsetting a true 50/50 mix?

Zeb

Reaction score
Factory orange coolant? It’s good for 5 years, or 150,000 miles on the OE fill, then 3 years, or 60,000 miles is the recommended service interval.

RyanD

Reaction score
Yep, factory orange - I should read more closely - thanks!

Connor M

Youtube Certified Master Technician
Reaction score
Guys,

Just replaced my secondary radiator, and realized the coolant in the main radiator is 2 years old now (~25K miles). I'd like to flush and fill over the holiday, but was wondering if there was some special technique for these? My proposed method, which I've done on my other vehicales:

Drain truck

refill with distilled water

run truck until hot

drain

Repeat this process until the drain runs mostly clear, then refill with 50/50 and add coolant additive.

Is this an acceptable method or should I be careful about upsetting a true 50/50 mix?

Iirc you can’t just drain it and get it all.

I’ve been dreading doing the coolant in my dad’s truck for that reason.

Latest posts

Members online