Damn dealer!!

C2tuck

Reaction score
Guess I should have just skipped the free oil change...

From the looks of this drain plug (and how hard it was to get out) Ford is about to put a new pan on my truck...and pay for the tow over an hour away!

Attachments

• 48216E8C-BBC4-45C0-A9A3-EDA94C182DC8.jpg
    48216E8C-BBC4-45C0-A9A3-EDA94C182DC8.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 305

C2tuck

Reaction score
First two or three rows of threads gone...

Attachments

• 4842F6DC-0B9C-4805-939C-91F7A0ECE76F.jpg
    4842F6DC-0B9C-4805-939C-91F7A0ECE76F.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 243

dmd

Reaction score
I bet they will say they didnt do it, and you have no way to prove they did it other
than you saying you didnt do it some other time.

The free stuff is not done by some experienced mechanic....

BK39

Reaction score
Yep, been there done that. Hopefully they take care of you on it. When it happened to us, they pretty much told me it wasn't their fault, and they wouldn't do something like that. Basically, go pound sand. Stopped using that dealer, went on up 75 to a different dealer. Went good up there for about 5 years till one day they left my dipstick part way out. Over the course of the next 5,000 miles, oil blew up that tube, sprayed oil all over the top of the motor, hood...........etc. Now this dealer claimed no responsibility, offered to wash the motor at a discounted rate, but that's it. All oil changes are in house now.

C2tuck

Reaction score
I always do my own...just figured it take advantage of the free one. They already pretty much owned it as they said if I can get another plug in it and “duck tape” it if nessesary and drive it to them to look at it they will see if it can be fixed or if the pan needs replaced. Pretty much told her to get bent and have the service manager call me. Not driving my truck over an hour duck taped...lol! Still waiting on a call. But their F’in crazy if they think I’m gonna put LE oil in it for them to waste while they fix it. Then she told me they would give me more free oil changes for the hassle! Really?!? I don’t think so.

C2tuck

Reaction score
I still have the dealer sticker showing it isn’t due for service until 40k and it’s only got 38k on it now...so they really can’t argue that.

sootie

Reaction score
Their sending a tow truck to tow it the hour drive. I’d say their owning it.

watch them drive it into the shop dry, from the tow truck....

Ive never seen a dealership mechanic work on anything in the yard lol

C2tuck

Reaction score
I’m seriously contemplating driving the keys don there myself and watching them unload it.

C2tuck

Reaction score
Gonna ride down there with him so I can make sure they don’t do anything stupid. Not really how I wanted to spend my day since I just got off work and have been up since 11am yesterday...

Think there gonna try and retap the pan instead of replace it?

8WR_ZJ

Reaction score
Not if the first threads are stripped and missing. I would make them replace the pan. Especially if the drain plug can not be torqued or sealed right.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

redneck1

Reaction score
I would try to get them to replace it, or use it as a good excuse to go aftermarket pan.

My drain plug on my 16 came from the factory with thread issues. It's always tightened up and stayed. It's like half the threads are a different thread pitch, if you know the feeling. I'm the only one that had ever changed the oil, so i know it's a factory issue. No, I never used anything but proper tools. Have seen dealers use impacts on drain plugs, oil filters over tightened, never worth the free oil change.

I'll be doing an oil change in not long so I'll get a closer look at what my threads look like..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BK39

Reaction score
Gonna ride down there with him so I can make sure they don’t do anything stupid. Not really how I wanted to spend my day since I just got off work and have been up since 11am yesterday...

Think there gonna try and retap the pan instead of replace it?

Well how did it turn out? They hook you up with new pan and bolt?

C2tuck

Reaction score
Sorry for the late response...no, they put a new drain plug in it and said that it wasn’t missing any threads on the pan and basically that the new plug would “re-tap” the pan...

Service manager said it “is normal” and “happens all the time”. Told him that the 50 or so ‘12-‘15 trucks we have where I work have never had an issue with drain plugs. He could tell I wasn’t happy and I didn’t leave until it was documented and a copy was in my hand. So if I have any issues they will be replacing the pan.

C2tuck

Reaction score
I would try to get them to replace it, or use it as a good excuse to go aftermarket pan.

My drain plug on my 16 came from the factory with thread issues. It's always tightened up and stayed. It's like half the threads are a different thread pitch, if you know the feeling. I'm the only one that had ever changed the oil, so i know it's a factory issue. No, I never used anything but proper tools. Have seen dealers use impacts on drain plugs, oil filters over tightened, never worth the free oil change.

I'll be doing an oil change in not long so I'll get a closer look at what my threads look like..

What are the pros of going with an aftermarket pan? Capacity?

redneck1

Reaction score
What are the pros of going with an aftermarket pan? Capacity?

Looks cool!. You can get higher capacity, but I don't see much point. The only reason I would is to get my drain plug to unload out the bottom instead of it pointing straight back.

psmike

Reaction score
ok haven't see a new drain plug but by the sound of it it cuts new threads in the pan/bolt what happens to the metal chips ?

C2tuck

Reaction score
Looks cool!. You can get higher capacity, but I don't see much point. The only reason I would is to get my drain plug to unload out the bottom instead of it pointing straight back.

Would definitely like a drain plug in the bottom. Who makes good pans for our trucks?

Latest posts

Members online