5R110 TC lockup

THETANK01

Reaction score
Just got stage 2 trans built about 20k miles ago from performance transmission in Golden, CO. Cruising 45mph a few days ago and wrench light comes on. Looked at minimax and notice TC came unlocked. Pulled the codes 0741 1744. Cleared them and got back on the road ran smooth. Next day commute to work 60miles runs fine. Head home that evening, light throttle, noticed when going into 4th gear around 43mph minimax showed lock up for a second but I never felt it lock then boom wrench light and same codes. Over the passed couple days I’ve monitored it under different scenarios and it’s been constant with this. Under moderate/heavy throttle near lock up speed it’ll lock up with no issues. Light throttle and I’ll get an error every time. I assume it may be TCC solenoid but varying throttle % and errors throws me off. Does anyone have any ideas or recommendations?

Trans was rebuilt on a trip to Alaska from New Orleans. I live 1800 miles from the place so I can’t bring it in for warranty work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
Those two codes mean the torque converter did not lock when the PCM commanded it to lock. Since there are no electrical codes you can eliminate the wiring as the source of the problem. Since there is also no performance code for the solenoid you can eliminate that, too. That leaves a sticking lockup valve in the pump body, leaking seals on the input shaft, or a bad torque converter.

For extra credit, what do each of these have in common?

Answer: They each require removing the trans to check.

THETANK01

Reaction score
Yaaaaaaayyyyy. I can’t wait to start this project. The shop did have to put 2-3 different converters in it when they did all the work to the trans. It’s a piss off that I have to dive into 20k miles later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online