V10 Excursion Swaps

Cobra 19 & 54

Reaction score
How difficult are Ex's to do the Commonrail Cummins swap in? I'm thinking of abandoning the 6.0L and trading for a used V10 Ex to build back up. What do ya'll think?

jkidd_39

Reaction score
I have never heard of any additional difficulties. I am doing a CR convo on a 05 F-350.

The only thing that's nice on a truck is you can pull the bed to give you a little more room for driveline modification.

Good luck!!

---
- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk while pulling a 36ft gooseneck and not paying attention to the road.

co04cobra

Reaction score
$25K, a year or more of time, and half a dozen or more guys that have done the swap to get it "right".

jkidd_39

Reaction score
$25K, a year or more of time, and half a dozen or more guys that have done the swap to get it "right".

25k seems a little steep for a CR convo. I should have $16k in parts/machining/etc and I will have twin cp3s, twin turbos, twin intercoolers. Full build good to 1200hp.

Beans or gos are right around $15k for a complete convo.

To the OP.. Watch the forums for parts. The dodge guys blow thru a ton of parts.. CompD and cumminsforums have a lot of good deals. I got my pcs controller with a complete 4r100 harness for $500.

Use the knowledge of others to help. That's what we are here for.

My engine builder has an excursion convo in the works I'll ask him if he has seen any differences.

---
- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk while pulling a 36ft gooseneck and not paying attention to the road.

Cobra 19 & 54

Reaction score
Thank you jkidd, I've already got the motor, injection pumps, turbo's and sticks. Need the trans, leaning towards a 48RE. But I don't know if I want to do it with my truck or just skip to an EX. Cab off a truck seems simpler, than the whole body, but I don't really know. The wiring scares me quite a bit. i've emailed Destroked several times, never got a response. I want to find a shop to do it without having to drive several thousand miles, but I'd also like it done right the first time. One of my local shops does them but doesn't like to. So I figured I'd put this feeler out.

TxFireman1972

Reaction score
I came real close to buying a V10 excursion when gas prices were way up a couole of years ago, for the exact same project. Make sure to do a build thread when you start.

Cobra 19 & 54

Reaction score
I've talked with Nate there about it. He did his wife's EX and thats kind of what prompted all this. He told me he doesn't like doing them, I think they just take to long and chew up too much shop space.

jkidd_39

Reaction score
Hmm... I guess business is booming for him to turn down a pretty straight forward install. From the pricing I've seen these guys make about $5-6k. That's pretty good change.

I would talk to GOS or Autoworld. They are both in MT.. really not that terribly far away from you. Drive it up and fly back. quick weekend trip

co04cobra

Reaction score
5-6K profit for swapping in a CR or 5-6K profit for working on 6.0s, 7.3s etc..that are already there. No custom fabricating. Same profit for half the work and time. I dont blame him.

NEVRNF

Reaction score
The 2 issues i ran into were the coolant line from the drivers side head that runs behind the motor made it difficult to get the motor as far back as i wanted it. The other thing is the trans cross member. I ended up using one from a pickup as i have a Mag Hytech pan and it would not clear the Ex cross member

Latest posts