Coast clutch locked in built 4R100’s?

boss300

Reaction score
I recently purchased a built trans from a reputable builder. After I got it installed I noticed that no matter what the computer told the trans to do that if the trans was not in 4th that the coast clutch was always engaged. With my tuning this made for a very annoying 4-3 downshift as the coast clutch would always come on and the converter stays locked. I took the truck back and asked to have this feature removed. The builder would not do it and said that he uses the coast clutch to help share the load going through the transmission and if he put it back it would be giving up lots of strength and durability. He is going to refund my money once I get a trans built elsewhere.

Has anybody noticed their coast clutch always being on with any of their built transmissions? I am curious if BTS or John wood do this with their products or anybody else. What’s everybody’s thoughts?

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
It was built by the transmission prototype shop at Ford Motor Company, Automatic Transmission Engineering Office. That's where I worked.

We built transmissions for a Baja race team. We won the Baja 1000, the Baja 2000, and many other SCORE off road races.

mandkole

Reaction score
Nothing unusual about my BTS other than known mod stuff today. No billet, no locked coast clutch. My trans buddy who freshened it (4 yrs ago after the converter gave up) closely looked at it, and noted some minor things being done. Some frictions and a new converter, it gets the same 500 thru it now as it did then..

Latest posts

Members online