Ford replaced turbo's twice within 1 year and now have turbo problem again. Who pays?

rrod

Reaction score
Upon much research and reading I narrowed my white smoke problem down to a turbo seal problem. Determined by finding oil in down pipe, so going off this assumption.

Ford dealer replaced the turbo's twice in one year. 1st time was 2/8/13 low pressure turbo out of spec and high pressure seized. replaced both turbo's. on 6/24/13 high pressure turbo leaking oil past bearing into exhaust. High pressure turbo replaced.

Now here we are just over a year later. I've had the truck for about a month now but have the history of the vehicle/know of the previous owner.

Should the Ford dealer assume any responsibility being that the turbo only lasted for one year? I would think ANY reputable respectable Ford dealer would realize one year is not a reasonable amount of time for a turbo to last before it fails and would repair maybe with deductible??

What's your thoughts? Has anyone been down this road and got any success?

CT9AIX

Reaction score
what is the year/mileage of the truck? if your truck itself is out of warranty, the parts only have a 6 month warranty I believe. you might be SOL

rrod

Reaction score
Trucks an 08 with 104k miles. I have an extended warranty from 3rd party if not.

Since the truck is not stock does it need to be put to stock before work is done or can I leave it as is?

TyCorr

Reaction score
Dont remove power adders and try to get ford to warranty the parts. Kinda shady on the users part (you). You and I both know they wouldnt warranty them if they knew it was modded. Unless you have some rapport with the dealer.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
looks like someone needs to start actually figuring out why these things start pushing oil out of the seals to me...

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
I think it comes from poor oil quality... extended oil changes on stock trucks.

One of the issues is ford calls for a 10k mile oil change for light duty and 5k for severe duty. On a stock truck, a guy putts around around town and/or idles a lot and regens a lot, but he thinks he's being easy on it because he's not pulling heavy loads, so he thinks he falls into light duty.

I've seen it MANY MANY times. I change mine every 5k on all my trucks (sometimes I'll slack and it'll end up 7-8k, but I always aim for 5k)

coming up on 200k on my F350 and turbo failure is WAY down on my list of concerns

rrod

Reaction score
Dont remove power adders and try to get ford to warranty the parts. Kinda shady on the users part (you). You and I both know they wouldnt warranty them if they knew it was modded. Unless you have some rapport with the dealer.
I used to own a 6.0L fully modded and the dealer would warranty truck on their 5yr 100k powertrain warranty. The service writer would even ask me to leave the tuner on or take off if anything was computer related with the warranty work.

looks like someone needs to start actually figuring out why these things start pushing oil out of the seals to me...
Not sure why either aside from the white some the truck drives and performs fine.

I think it comes from poor oil quality... extended oil changes on stock trucks.

One of the issues is ford calls for a 10k mile oil change for light duty and 5k for severe duty. On a stock truck, a guy putts around around town and/or idles a lot and regens a lot, but he thinks he's being easy on it because he's not pulling heavy loads, so he thinks he falls into light duty.

I've seen it MANY MANY times. I change mine every 5k on all my trucks (sometimes I'll slack and it'll end up 7-8k, but I always aim for 5k)

coming up on 200k on my F350 and turbo failure is WAY down on my list of concerns
I can't speak for the previous owner who had the truck for 100k but I personally don't skimp on oil ever. Religious oil changes every 5-7k and I use motorcraft filters along with Rotella T6 synthetic which I'm sure is not considered cheap.
I actually did an oil change about a 1000 miles before this happened.

Spoke to a few shops today. It's odd that this happened if it was just done a year ago. Some said they've never seen a turbo failure on dozens of 6.4's. Another said he used to be navistar tech and said only way to avoid turbo seal problem/ turbo failure is to get rid of compounds and go single turbo. Which I don't see as practical of beneficial, after the programming and cost involved.

I don't beat up on my truck and run the piss out of it like a high school kid on prom night. I modded mainly for MPG and occasionally on the highway I will give it a little go and let off.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
There are lots of factors that lead to pushing oil out of the seals. My first thought was blow by, high crank case pressure or poor oil drains. Thats where i would start and move on from there. You also need to look at the air filters and piping

rrod

Reaction score
There are lots of factors that lead to pushing oil out of the seals. My first thought was blow by, high crank case pressure or poor oil drains. Thats where i would start and move on from there. You also need to look at the air filters and piping

I've tried a blow by test I was told about on here to take cap out and see if it pushed out of oil fill, which mine didn't push out.

What would cause high crank case pressure and any way to check it?

What would be poor oil drains?

Thanks for helping me by answering these questions.

Also, I pulled the CAC pipe on upper left of intercooler and oil film but not soaked with oil or saturated.
After I pulled the CAI tube and no notice of heavy oil or oil puddling.

While the CAI tube was off I looked at the turbo and it seemed ok by visual inspection and I also tried to move it around and it was pretty tight. I could feel very very very slight movements which would move maybe the equivalent to the thickness of an index card laying flat..very minute movement. Not sure how to test other turbo movement.

I drove the truck about 30 miles today and it ran great. After about 5 minutes of highway driving the light hazing of smoke went away. That lasted until I started driving in the city for another 5-10 minutes. Then it would come and go with stop and go, however some lights it wouldn't smoke while at other lights it would smoke very minimal and others would smoke consistently but not enough to form a cloud of smoke. All smoke was like a light haze.

Latest posts

Members online