Cam Install

duddy

Reaction score
Well since I had a piston go, the block is at the machine shop and I have gone over what I will be putting together. I have two questions that are at the beginning of the build that I need to address.
1 How to time the came to the crank. I seen the mark on the cam gear, and found the marks on the crank. My question is, Is it just a PITA or is there a easier method that I am not seeing.
2 Had a buddy help me pull the engine apart and he took the bolts out of the crank adapter, I stopped him on the last bolt:doh:, I can just get new bolts, install and torque them and and should be fine correct?

Also, engine break in, I know royal purple has a cam lube for new cam startup. I was planning on running a batch of 5w-40 royal from now on since napa cuts us one hell of a deal. Can I prelube the engine from the test port at the oil filter housing or is there a better place to accomplish this. I want to prefill the oil galleys when before I start the truck. Figured I would dump one gallon over the rockers and use the next two gallons to prelube. I am going to using white lithium grease at assembly. This is probably a bit overboard, but I plan on building everything this coming weekend and have it running sunday. To pull on the following thursday friday and saturday.

HOOV3R

Reaction score
You can degree the cam to be sure of proper alignment, or use the rotunda timing tool. SDP makes a timing tool at a lower cost. The tool works on 6.0/6.4.

duddy

Reaction score
Here's a bump. Are you talking starting from scratch about timing it? As in the crank was removed?

Yes sir, block was sent to machine shop to have it punched. I think I found marks on the crank gear and cam, so a paint marker and bore scope may come into play.

Stroked777

Reaction score
Yeah but you still gotta make sure the valves are closed when it's on the compression stroke. It is possible to have it so the valves are opening on the compression stroke. I remember when we did the cam in my truck. We didn't remove the crank and we did time it right but we turn the engine by hand when the injectors were still out to make sure there was no contact

duddy

Reaction score
Alright, I will look into it. not sure how that is possible tho, since a cam to crank is 2 to 1. tanks for the heads up.

91turbogsx

Reaction score
As long as you line up the timing marks as per the manual, you will be fine. And as far as prelubing, I assembled my engine, filled with oil, and installed a starter and turned it over on the stand a few times until I got a nice steady stream from the turbo feed line.

duddy

Reaction score
thats kinda what I was thinking, I have gauges that fit the banjos for turbos, put one in, and crank it over until i get good pressure for 10 seconds of cranking. should just be able to leave the ecm unhooked so it cant fire up.

Latest posts

Members online