cracked injector cup from over tq

78f100

Reaction score
I have had a issue with my black truck since I installed my 100% nozzles on new injectors for TS It was randomly smoking white a d had a bad haze some times.. Long story short when we got home from TS problem would come and go every couple weeks but the truck seemed to run fine. So I parked it till I had time to check it out. The day I drove it to the shop, when I got out the fuel tank was hissing. When I removed the cap it shot it out of my hand it had so much pressure. I had rerouted my return to the tank instead of the fuel block while testing. I figured then compression gas was somehow getting into the return. Well tonight I was putting my old injectors back in and removed #2 injector it was covered in carbon. I cleaned up the cup and found it looked like a star in the bottom. When I installed the injectors I tried out a new mac tq wrench starting on #2. It didn't feel right so I went back to my old one. Well apparently its not to hard to crack a injector cup by over torquing them, that's all I can figure caused it. And it wasn't way over I have done enough of them when it felt too tight I stopped just not soon enough. Just wanted to share maybe it will help keep someone else from having the same issue as it was kinda tough to diagnose. I had done several ids relative compression tests and a static test without finding it. It was leaking at random.

Big Angry Hillbilly

Reaction score
Did you crack the cup (you could visibly see coolant leaking into the cup) or did you just destroy the sealing washer causing the combustion gas to leak into the return rail?

78f100

Reaction score
The cup has a star pattern in the bottom. I'm not sure if it wasn't totally seated as they were reman heads when I torqued the injector down it was like it tried to push through the cup busting the bottom.

Latest posts

Members online