6.4 up pipe replacement

97f350stroker

Reaction score
Well, started hearing a hissing noise the other day and after some digging around I figured out my passenger side up pipe bellow is blown out. I know everyone will recommend swapping to 6.0 manis but I'm not looking to get into that. I was leaning towards Elites hd pipes haven't heard much about how they hold up, also seen Rudy's pipes but a thousand bucks for up pipes isn't in the budget as I just bought through truck. As far as install what am I getting myself into? After staring at it for a while I was thinking if I pull the trans it shouldn't be too bad of a job but I'm new to 6.4's and I'm not real sure what I'm getting into.

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score
Well, started hearing a hissing noise the other day and after some digging around I figured out my passenger side up pipe bellow is blown out. I know everyone will recommend swapping to 6.0 manis but I'm not looking to get into that. I was leaning towards Elites hd pipes haven't heard much about how they hold up, also seen Rudy's pipes but a thousand bucks for up pipes isn't in the budget as I just bought through truck. As far as install what am I getting myself into? After staring at it for a while I was thinking if I pull the trans it shouldn't be too bad of a job but I'm new to 6.4's and I'm not real sure what I'm getting into.

MPD HD Stock Uppipes cant beat that price. Nice piece I had to go through this last month.

http://marylandperfdiesel.com/i-14463756-mpd-heavy-duty-stock-up-pipes.html

I had a local shop do it he charged $600 and 2 cases of beer but he's my friend also that's probably I got the labor cheap LOL He pulled the trans.

Last edited:

97f350stroker

Reaction score
I forgot about mpd when I was looking, those look nice as well. Elites are $635 if built with new new oem pipes and they will buy my blown ones off of me. Not sure how much I would get but it may be cheaper that way. I feel pretty confident in doing the job myself, it looks like I can have that trans out in less than an hour. I have also debated on just taking it up to SPE and let then pull the cab and stud it and do the up pipes but haven't called yet to see about what that would run me.

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score
I forgot about mpd when I was looking, those look nice as well. Elites are $635 if built with new new oem pipes and they will buy my blown ones off of me. Not sure how much I would get but it may be cheaper that way. I feel pretty confident in doing the job myself, it looks like I can have that trans out in less than an hour. I have also debated on just taking it up to SPE and let then pull the cab and stud it and do the up pipes but haven't called yet to see about what that would run me.

MPD are brand new OEM also with there upgraded bellows. It even got shipped in its original ford box LOL.

Stroked777

Reaction score
As far as install it's a pita if you don't have a aftermarket 2 piece down pipe. If you have a 2 piece down pipe you can remove all the pipes, driver passenger, and the egr provision pipe out the area where the dp would be. Hardest bolts to undo are the top turbo bolts and the top bolt on the driver side, take out the inner fender, I removed the air filter, air box and the air intake elbow to make getting behind the turbo easier. Then on the bottoms side you got everything from the ground or thru the fender. I just did mine a few weeks ago.

If you still have a stock dp it is a trans out job at the point, takes 30 mins to pull it

Last edited:

97f350stroker

Reaction score
I have a one piece downpipe so looks like it's trans out for me. Not that big of a deal just some extra time I guess. I figured I would have to fight the turbo bolts no matter what I did any way.

Will@Rudy'sDiesel

Reaction score
Our up pipes have a life time warranty. If one of them blow we will send you out a new set no questions asked.

I do not know where you got that our up pipes are $1,000 because they are no where near that price, I think you might be mistaken ours with another set that we have listed.

I will post the link below for our hd up-pipes. I will also send you a PM with a price.

http://www.rudysdiesel.com/_e/Engin...10_Ford_Powerstroke_Diesel_6_4L_Superduty.htm

97f350stroker

Reaction score
I was unaware of the warranty and obviously wrong about the price lol. Please send me a pm with a price shipped to 15019 and an estimate of how long it would take to get them.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Tossing in a set of Rudy's right now. Man, I haven't done a lot of these 6.4's yet. Trans is dropped, now to fight all the bolts and nuts off. Even with Trans out of the way It's still a lot of work from on top.

What's the usual billing hours to do a set with dropping Trans and all?

97f350stroker

Reaction score
I talked to will at Rudy's and I plan on ordering a set from him this week let me know how it goes. If you could snap a few pics if you run into a problem area that'd be great too.

Last edited:

Breaking Habits

Reaction score
Ours are more expensive but we run .120 wall piping. In some circumstances the factory thickness material can actually fail, not just the bellow. We addressed that issue with a set built for everything from everyday use to nonstop competition.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
This is maybe my third up pipe removal. Once cab off, one cab on Trans in and thus one cab on Trans out. Even with the Trans out there is no leverage. I have had to turn the turbo outlet red hot to bust the bolts loose. This isn't a dirty truck either, it has 62 K on it, figured they'd be much easier. My medium depth sockets are proving their worth here, as are my gear wrench moon set. I think next set will be cab off, I'm tired of this.

So far it's been 50/50 with working on top and bottom, my lift is getting an excersize that's for sure.

Stroked777

Reaction score
This is maybe my third up pipe removal. Once cab off, one cab on Trans in and thus one cab on Trans out. Even with the Trans out there is no leverage. I have had to turn the turbo outlet red hot to bust the bolts loose. This isn't a dirty truck either, it has 62 K on it, figured they'd be much easier. My medium depth sockets are proving their worth here, as are my gear wrench moon set. I think next set will be cab off, I'm tired of this.

So far it's been 50/50 with working on top and bottom, my lift is getting an excersize that's for sure.

I have a after market down pipe which makes it easier but the worse part of all of it is moving between the top, bottom, and fender wells. It fest tired quick. It also helps to have a little mirror when removing the up pipes from the turbo. And I did break a ez red 1/4 ratchet trying to get the egr pipe bolt on the head out

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
a second person is need to r&r the trans. You might be able to handle it yourself if on the ground, but I dont work on the ground and our trans jack is tiny, someone needs to be back there to support the T-case.

Flexplate/TC nuts are 14MM, there is 8 of them
Bellhousing are 13MM, I think there is 8

most certainly need a few 10mm and 13mm sockets and wrenchs. Ratcheting wrenches FTW. Short, mid length, and deep sockets, as well as a good set of swivels. A super strong flexhead 3/8's with long handle.

rgfXHF5l.jpg

Z4ZMCvDl.jpg

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Ive never went in through the fenders on these. I looked at it today though in between the 2 hours I was hmming and hawing at the idea of pulling trans

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
can see here the meat and potatoes are still waaaay up here.
iodZEZOl.jpg

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Starting to sound like a huge pita. Wish I had the means to pull the cab.

IF you dont have oxy/acetylene, dont do this job. Thiose bolts on turbo will break right off and/or round the heads very easily. Heat is needed to do this, and lots of it.

this was probably my best experience doing this particular job and I still had to bust out the heat wrench.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.