Truck tuned and deleted then after 2 weeks white smoke.(not egr)..need help!!

rrod

Reaction score
So I've had my truck for about a month now. 2 of those weeks the truck was tuned and DPF deleted. Everything was fine until this past week I started noticing pretty noticeable white smoke coming from exhaust at idle and under acceleration. It goes away then will come back out of no where.

During the time from running fine to noticing smoke, I did a full oil change about a week before I noticed the smoke.

I don't suspect it is EGR related because I haven't lost any coolant and the smell is like raw diesel/oil from what I can tell.

I read it could be moisture burning off but would this still happen after the truck is completely warmed?

Also read it could turbo seal and to check downpipe for oil. would there be a lot of oil or would it just be collected toward the bottom of the downpipe?

I need any help I can get right now to look in the right direction of what to do. I have a warranty but don't want to take to a shop until I have an idea of what is happening.
Lastly can anyone recommend a good diesel shop in the s. florida area, preferably north miami or broward county. Thanks

Stroked777

Reaction score
What does the blow by look like? Take the oil cap off and place it in the hole, does it blow out? Is the steam coming out a constant stream or does it puff out ?

rrod

Reaction score
I just took it on a drive from cold start-up. Noticed that when the EGRTA climbs to 800+ the white smoke comes out. Then when i returned home the exhaust would start to smoke white again but lightly.

The smoke is more like a steady stream if under medium accelation when I'm stopped I notice the smoke but it's very light stream.

As far as your suggestion for the oil cap, should I be driving or just take it off, place in hole and start the truck? Also what do you mean blow by? Forgive because I am new to this truck and some things are new to me.

rrod

Reaction score
I have checked oil. When off the oil is around the 3/4 mark. When running its around the 1/4 mark.

Stroked777

Reaction score
as its idling take the cap off and place it into the hole and if it blows out then i got some bad news for you, but if it stays put then you should be alright, and im talking about the smoke coming from the oil fill hole when the cap is off, does it puff to the rhytm of the rpms or does it steadly flow out

rrod

Reaction score
as its idling take the cap off and place it into the hole and if it blows out then i got some bad news for you, but if it stays put then you should be alright, and im talking about the smoke coming from the oil fill hole when the cap is off, does it puff to the rhytm of the rpms or does it steadly flow out

just did the cap test as mentioned above. The cap doesn't going flying out of the hole but when I just place it to the top it kind of just pops sideways on the hole to let the smoke out. It appears to be a constant stream regardless of RPMs

EDIT: Just watched several video's of blowby on the 6.4L and I would say mine is no worse then theirs based on the video. The post from people on the video state this kind of blowby seems very common in the 6.4 due to the rings they used.

Last edited:

rrod

Reaction score
Does it smell like fuel?

Doesn't really smell like fuel. Smells more like antifreeze/oil. Can't quite tell because my allergies were acting up. I'll check again when I get home in about an hour and now my senses are back so will help.lol

rrod

Reaction score
Ok just got back home and took the truck on a ride to warm it up. The truck runs perfectly fine in all speeds, gears, accelerating etc.

The oil caps stayed on when the truck was warmed..just sat on the hole and allowed steam to bypass. Earlier when the cap tipped to the side the truck was cold. Like I said before judging from the video's I have seen the steam coming out looks normal.

As far as the smell of the smoke coming from the oil cap it has a very mild smell almost like a smell from a fog machine if you are familiar with those?

The smell coming from the exhaust is very hard to determine because I mainly smell diesel. If it is oil it is a very faint smell.

Also as mentioned earlier the white smoke only comes out when the EGRTA's are warm near the 800* mark while moving or intermittently happens when parked / idle

Info that may help...
2008 F250 CCSB 4x4 Job 3 build
104k miles
spartan tuned on 250hp
DP back 4" straight exhaust
S&B CAI
EGR cooler on the truck
all of these mods (except egr) on truck for 1500miles. Mainly hwy miles not beat up or mashed off the stop light. Only really got on it on the hwy a handful of times from around 65-70 and never past 100mph

Last edited:

rrod

Reaction score
wasn't able to edit again in last post..

I removed the Intercooler upper pipe on passenger side and noticed some oil residue in the pipe and on the boot.

The more I've been researching it appears to be a turbo seal.

rrod

Reaction score
A little bit of oil in the charge air side of the intake is normal. I could heck turbo shaft play

Thank you. I figured it is normal. I went a step further and I used a wire puller, with a rag on the end, and shoved it up the exhaust to the down pipe. When I pulled it back out there was some oil on the rag. did this because seemed easier then pulling the exhaust bolts.

At this point I am leaning toward bad turbo seal based on all the reading.

How would I check turbo shaft play? Assuming it is bad turbo seal what is the downtime and what is the repair cost?

Lastly how bad is it to drive the truck the way it is without causing severe damage to the engine, say driving it 40 miles to a repair shop??

Stroked777

Reaction score
Just pull the intake and see it the shaft moves back and forth or up and down. My turbos have no play at all and have 110k on them. The smaller turbo is a little more involved. You gotta take that U shaped CAC turbo off and check

rrod

Reaction score
I pulled the intake tube today and there was hardly any play at all. The most movement I saw would be enough to stick the side of an index card in-between. Basically very minute moving going on there.

Drove truck for a while today and it ran great. After some highway driving the smoking went away, until I drove in the city for a little while and idle then the smoke came back.It would go come and go between lights and some lights would barely smoke while other lights it would smoke lightly where I could notice it in my mirror, some lights no smoke at all. I know it's not EGR because I know EGR smoke looks a little different.

I haven't noticed oil loss either yet. Just odd what it could be?

Jbenso127

Reaction score
It's more than likely turbos. You should be looking for play in and out, not so much side to side. I've had this happen a couple times... Same symptoms as you. The last time, I had very little shaft play but was passing a good bit of oil. You can have the chargers rebuilt, purchase a new set, or an upgraded set. Hopefully a vendor can chime in and get you pointed in the right direction.

rrod

Reaction score
Yea I'm leaning toward that however last night I refueled and did not notice the white smoke at all today. Not sure if just a coincidence but still strange because when I checked up the tail pipe the rag had some oil residue on it. Maybe if I do have a leak it is very minor?? Turbo didn't have any play front to back and if did I couldn't notice.
Still haven't lost oil either. Oil and coolant holding steady. Just going to monitor over the next few days and use the truck on highway ride tomorrow about 50 miles each way.

Last edited:

Jbenso127

Reaction score
I never lost much oil on the dipstick when mine were passing oil.. And sometimes there would be very little smoke. But when I changed the oil and it was fresh, it smoked and passed oil the worst. Truck never skipped a beat.. Just smoked when warmed up. Very frustrating lol.