How well will the 6.4 PS go down in history

Mcgrath7

Reaction score
I've had a 6.0( loved it) I have a 15 6.7 now( love it so far), BUT I wish I could of saved a pile of money and bought a 6.4 but I was afraid it would of cost me in the long run.
I have been around plenty of 6.4s that have never had a problem and some that are on there second motor..I've had people argue that the 6.0 (once understood) will go down with a better rep than the 6.4 and some that think the 6.4 once understood will out live the young 6.7

I'm Curious what will people say about the 6.4 PS 10 years from now, and I want to hear from the owners/ mechanics
What do you think.... Will it be desired like the 7.3 or a cheap scare and why

6.4strokin

Reaction score
6.4s will probably not exist in 10 years. Maybe few but 6.7s are way ahead of 6.4s. I had a 6.4 and loved it. But 6.7s are less problematic and get better overall fuel mileage. If you want a 6.4 to live you have to tune and delete it. I think you will be happy with your chose of skipping it. They are fast and can make good power but ppl have had bad luck with them and they are not cheap too fix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

78f100

Reaction score
I love 6.4s power and I own 4 of them 2 of which need the cab pulled when I get time, and I bought them that way. My opinion on them is without upgraded pistons and a very careful head stud install, a good studded, deleted, tuned 6.0 is a better engine. If given a choice on a work truck I depended on daily, being used as a real truck I would go with a 6.0 every time. I have owned a real repair shop for just over a year, and before that worked on them from home. In that time I have worked on way more 6.0s but its always injectors, oil coolers, egr, and such, most time we do a complete head stud install replacing or deleting all known problem areas. Most of the 6.4s that come in( with engine trouble) have been cracked or melted pistons. I have 2 at the shop right now with cracked pistons and just finished a motor swap last week on one. I also have a 6.4 450 ambulance and a cc450 with cavitated front covers. I just can't see the 6.4 holding up ( without building the engine) as well as even the 6.0. I haven't done much on the 6.7 yet but I'm looking to buy one myself before long.