Is it tme for a new engine? Where to buy a solid rebuilt engine?

rrod

Reaction score
Well my truck finally made it into the shop yesterday for the blue/grey smoke I was noticing from the exhaust, and this morning he called me to tell me there is traces of metal in my oil and that he thinks the fuel system had water in it at one point and that he was also getting a weak reading from injector 1.
I've only owned the truck for about 6 weeks with 101k miles and now there is 104k, I bought an extended warranty Thank God (if they come through), the oasis report showed it was at a Ford dealer twice last year for Turbo isses.
Originally I noticed smoke from exhaust and then found oil in my down pipe and assumed it was turbo seal leak. I also did the blowby test someone recommended by placing oil cap in the hole and seeing if it pops off which it didn't and it stayed perfectly sitting in the hole.
I don't understand how I recently changed the oil and and fuel filter and all looked fine, then the truck appeared to drive fine to me but then again this is my first 6.4L and then I'm told I may need an engine???

If it is worst case and I need an engine where could I locate a reasonably priced rebuilt/reman engine with some kind of warranty? They are telling me around $10k for engine and hoping warranty covers.

rrod

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I find it difficult to believe it is engine related since the truck is running so well. The mechanic told me it is not running right. If this is true I didn't notice. He's telling me that even if he changes whatever caused the metallic flakes that he still would recommend changing the engine. I took it in expecting to replace turbo seals and now I'm told I need an engine. I have some old oil from about 2 weeks ago and there is absolutely no metal flakes I can see in the oil. Also changed the plug to the fumoto drain valve and I have the original plug in the oil and there is also no metal flakes on the bolt.
I'm lost at this point and extremely disappointed.

Stroked777

Reaction score
He's probably trying to **** you out of money. Or he has no diesel related experience and thinks the diesel knock is the rods making that sound

RSK

Reaction score
Well my truck finally made it into the shop yesterday for the blue/grey smoke I was noticing from the exhaust, and this morning he called me to tell me there is traces of metal in my oil and that he thinks the fuel system had water in it at one point and that he was also getting a weak reading from injector 1.
I've only owned the truck for about 6 weeks with 101k miles and now there is 104k, I bought an extended warranty Thank God (if they come through), the oasis report showed it was at a Ford dealer twice last year for Turbo isses.
Originally I noticed smoke from exhaust and then found oil in my down pipe and assumed it was turbo seal leak. I also did the blowby test someone recommended by placing oil cap in the hole and seeing if it pops off which it didn't and it stayed perfectly sitting in the hole.
I don't understand how I recently changed the oil and and fuel filter and all looked fine, then the truck appeared to drive fine to me but then again this is my first 6.4L and then I'm told I may need an engine???

If it is worst case and I need an engine where could I locate a reasonably priced rebuilt/reman engine with some kind of warranty? They are telling me around $10k for engine and hoping warranty covers.

where are you located? I would try to find a reputable diesel shop in your area and get a second opinion! i'd take your truck and go somewhere else.

rrod

Reaction score
seems a lot odd to me too. I'm in south Florida Broward/Miami area. I still have left over oil from last oil change and I do not notice any metallic looking things in the oil so not sure how metal accumulates in less than 1000miles.
I was told the injector is trying to over compensate on one of the cylinder's indicating there is an internal problem.
I still want to know how I'm getting oil in my down pipe which I believe is the cause of all the smoke.

forcefed6.4ford

Reaction score
Blown turbo seal or mucho internal damage. But if the truck is running well I doubt its internal. Did you check engine light come on? Injector faults are a hard MIL and will light up the check engine on your dash as soon as something is out of whack with them. Did they change your oil? I would not say anything to them and just show up and pull the filter myself. Cut it open and check for debris. If there IS metal in your oil it will be in the filter is spades.

forcefed6.4ford

Reaction score
Pull the fuel filter on top of the engine too. If your hpfp is failing causing, in his words " the injector to over compensate", there should be metal filings on the bottom of the bowl.

rrod

Reaction score
Blown turbo seal or mucho internal damage. But if the truck is running well I doubt its internal. Did you check engine light come on? Injector faults are a hard MIL and will light up the check engine on your dash as soon as something is out of whack with them. Did they change your oil? I would not say anything to them and just show up and pull the filter myself. Cut it open and check for debris. If there IS metal in your oil it will be in the filter is spades.
I am most likely going to be picking the truck up later today or monday. I will inspect when I bring it home.No codes or check engine lights on at all either...

Pull the fuel filter on top of the engine too. If your hpfp is failing causing, in his words " the injector to over compensate", there should be metal filings on the bottom of the bowl.

I just did the filter change last weekend and there was ZERO metal on either filter or in the bowl.

Sideswipe505

Reaction score
I'll play devils advocate here... I purchased my truck and I felt that it ran fine. It threw a code in early February and I cleared it. Came back, it was cylinder contribution code. Took it to the shop and found it had melted a piston. Truck still felt fine, didn't even miss. So it could be anything.

rrod

Reaction score
I'll play devils advocate here... I purchased my truck and I felt that it ran fine. It threw a code in early February and I cleared it. Came back, it was cylinder contribution code. Took it to the shop and found it had melted a piston. Truck still felt fine, didn't even miss. So it could be anything.
That's the scary thing. Anyone know if a worn turbo bearing wear wear and cause traces of metal in the oil? Also why is oil present in my down pipe?

How much did you end up spending in repairs for your truck?

i know i stated in another thread to do a compression test i believe, did you ever get around to that?

I have not done a compression test. It looks pretty involved. How hard is it to do?

It's sucks to think I may have to put an engine into this truck that is financed. I don't see the benefit there. I have an extended warranty and they told the shop that it is too early to cover that and it must be an ongoing thing that didn't just happen in 6 weeks/3000miles. I may just keep riding and pray it lasts a while then maybe see if warranty covers it 2-4-6 months from now.

I can't believe Ford puts such problematic engines into their trucks. I feel like these engines should all be released a model year later. they are too new and too little actual real world experiences/mileage.

A few things that come to mind as standard protection that should have went in from factory if they had more data would be:
Better rings
A different style regen
water separator right off the fuel tank which would probably eliminate injector/piston problems

forcefed6.4ford

Reaction score
Wiped turbo bearing will put metal in you oil. Talk with the service manager about a new long block if you like. Being that close to warrantee cut off and seeing as you just bought it. Ford will usually cover you. I'm skeptical due to the speed it was determined you needed a new engine.

Sideswipe505

Reaction score
That's the scary thing. Anyone know if a worn turbo bearing wear wear and cause traces of metal in the oil? Also why is oil present in my down pipe?

How much did you end up spending in repairs for your truck?

I have not done a compression test. It looks pretty involved. How hard is it to do?

It's sucks to think I may have to put an engine into this truck that is financed. I don't see the benefit there. I have an extended warranty and they told the shop that it is too early to cover that and it must be an ongoing thing that didn't just happen in 6 weeks/3000miles. I may just keep riding and pray it lasts a while then maybe see if warranty covers it 2-4-6 months from now.

I can't believe Ford puts such problematic engines into their trucks. I feel like these engines should all be released a model year later. they are too new and too little actual real world experiences/mileage.

A few things that come to mind as standard protection that should have went in from factory if they had more data would be:

Better rings

A different style regen

water separator right off the fuel tank which would probably eliminate injector/piston problems

Thank god I purchased an aftermarket warranty because the repairs were almost what I paid for the truck. 12k for the longblock plus labor.

rrod

Reaction score
Wiped turbo bearing will put metal in you oil. Talk with the service manager about a new long block if you like. Being that close to warrantee cut off and seeing as you just bought it. Ford will usually cover you. I'm skeptical due to the speed it was determined you needed a new engine.
I bought my truck from an independent used car dealer who operates if a few states. The day after I bought the truck I also bought an extended warranty from Endurance.

Thank god I purchased an aftermarket warranty because the repairs were almost what I paid for the truck. 12k for the longblock plus labor.
Who is you warranty company? I got one too through Endurance. I had them with my last truck and they were great. They replace my transmission 2 times.
I think the mechanic I just had it at called them to try to warranty the engine only after having it for 45 days (15 days after the wait period from warranty) and 3000miles. He told them it was blowing blue smoke and small traces of metal in oil.
I'm thinking of taking it to another shop I know and having them re-diagnose the truck and call in the warranty for something different like injector and tell them there is no smoke and oil looks ok.
Or just have the shop look over the truck and I pay a diagnostic fee and have them give me a work bill with test coming back ok and no real concern at this time.
This is just so if in the future it does happen to have a problem they won't give me trouble for warrantying the engine if I had a second look and proof of their findings.

Sideswipe505

Reaction score
I bought my truck from an independent used car dealer who operates if a few states. The day after I bought the truck I also bought an extended warranty from Endurance.

Who is you warranty company? I got one too through Endurance. I had them with my last truck and they were great. They replace my transmission 2 times.

I think the mechanic I just had it at called them to try to warranty the engine only after having it for 45 days (15 days after the wait period from warranty) and 3000miles. He told them it was blowing blue smoke and small traces of metal in oil.

I'm thinking of taking it to another shop I know and having them re-diagnose the truck and call in the warranty for something different like injector and tell them there is no smoke and oil looks ok.

Or just have the shop look over the truck and I pay a diagnostic fee and have them give me a work bill with test coming back ok and no real concern at this time.

This is just so if in the future it does happen to have a problem they won't give me trouble for warrantying the engine if I had a second look and proof of their findings.

I have an extended warranty through my credit union. The shop that swapped my motor out said it was the most money they'd ever seen a warranty company shell out.

rrod

Reaction score
I have an extended warranty through my credit union. The shop that swapped my motor out said it was the most money they'd ever seen a warranty company shell out.
I'm going to get second opinion and based off the findings I'll go from there. If I do need a new engine and the warranty denies because they say it's something that existed, I will definitely hire a lawyer and take their ass to court. I waited well over the 30 period day and regardless I put over 3K miles on the truck. I don't buy warranties based on existing condition of what I don't know about a used vehicle, I buy a warranty for the piece of mind so I do know my purchase is covered mechanically.

mpd has good rebuild prices imo
If it gets to that point I will be in contact with them.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.