Are '11-14's a good buy?

96stacked&smoken

Reaction score
Just as the title says looking at cc 6.7's and wondering if a older one is still a smart buy. I have heard of blown turbos and dropped valves.Truck will be a dd/towpig/anything truck. Will stay mostly stock except reliability mods and cosmetics. I love the 15's but if a cheaper one will work then it would be best as I hate high truck payments.Thanks

CATDiezel

Reaction score
Just as the title says looking at cc 6.7's and wondering if a older one is still a smart buy. I have heard of blown turbos and dropped valves.Truck will be a dd/towpig/anything truck. Will stay mostly stock except reliability mods and cosmetics. I love the 15's but if a cheaper one will work then it would be best as I hate high truck payments.Thanks

from the 500,000+ sold.

Turbo failures and dropped valves are pretty rare in rertospec for the pickups. The cab and chassis engine is a completely different animal.

IF you think picking up a used 2011-2012 for $20,000 less than what a new 15 is going to cost you after TTT and initial sale. Then yes... you and my wife are in agreeance.

I just tried to talk my wife into letting me get a 15' she crunched the numbers and said and I quote "GO DETAIL YOUR TRUCK" and put whatever turbo thingy you want on it! LOL.

96stacked&smoken

Reaction score
Yeah I think were on the same page. I can get a more loaded older truck for cheaper than new. I am for sure looking for one with a warranty though. Anything to look out for when checking them out?

Wayne

Reaction score
go aftermarket warranty if you want one. I'd say aside from miles, you're just as well off reliability-wise with an older one and an updated/upgraded turbo. We quite regularly replace '11-'14 turbos at our dealership. turbo failures are usually due to bad air filters, or programmed trucks over-speeding them though fwiw.

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
should be just fine. their "issues" were not widespread

If you find a truck with 100-150k that has a clean Oasis and looks/feels rock solid, I wouldn't waste the money on an aftermarket warranty

JMO

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
while I would feel more comfortable with a 12 all things equal, I've seen TONS of high mile/abused 11's, including Job 1's that had zero issues...

superpsd

Reaction score
I believe I had read the valve dropping issue was a vendor issue. The valves for the passenger side head were not tempered and thus the valve failures. I also read Ford knows what engines were affected by there serial number. As for turbos there are a bit of upgrades on the market.

Reaction score
I believe I had read the valve dropping issue was a vendor issue. The valves for the passenger side head were not tempered and thus the valve failures. I also read Ford knows what engines were affected by there serial number. As for turbos there are a bit of upgrades on the market.

Any way to know which engine serial numbers were affected specifically by this vendor issue?

96stacked&smoken

Reaction score
^This would be nice to know. Yeah everyone says the first 6.0's were terrible but my dads has been very good. Is it as important to delete them as it is on a 6.4?

Breaking Habits

Reaction score
Dont be scared of an 11.

I picked up mine with 106,000 for low 20's, threw a 15 charger on it and 1 injector and put about 4000 miles on it in the last month. Thing is a blast

Latest posts

Members online