Intermittent hazing/smoking issue help!!

Buellstunter

Reaction score
Got a issue I and a few others have not been able to figure out. Little background on the truck. motor was redone about 35,000 miles and about 5 years ago by a shop that I feel has a good reputation. It was bored .030 over and complete bottom end done as well as heads, gaskets and studs and colt cams stage 1 cam installed. Has 190/30 injectors with stage 2 barder turbo and gear head tunes specific to the setup. truck will intermittently haze/smoke pretty bad if you stop for a long red light or to refuel and let it run. If at a light and you pull away from the intersection it will clear right up before your even through the intersection and may not do it agin that day. The haze/smoke smells strong of raw diesel fuel as about 1/2 burn your eyes.. About a year ago had the FICM repaired and an atlas 4 tune put in it. Been thinking injectors so I sent them to be tested Even though the contribution test I did with my snap on scanner showed no issues, but I know those scanners are not the best at detecting issues. So sent them to a trusted friend in the business. He tested them each 3 times and they are glowing 100% clean bill of health. Now thinking it may possibly be the ficm acting up or possibly the tunes or a combination of the 2 together. Any thought would be greatly appreciated.

05wh250

Reaction score
I just took the ficm tune out of mine and it helped a good bit. Running the atlas economy tune it would run high egts and smoke pretty good on a heavy tow tune. Didn't really notice anything while idling on mine.

Buellstunter

Reaction score
Update for anyone else that may experience this issue. I was running an aftermarket CCV from bulletproof diesel. Turns out that was the culprit. The filter even though it looked ok was restricting flow from the engine through the filter and back into the intake. Replaced filter and all seems good now.

Latest posts

Members online