Cruise Control as High Idle?

CT9AIX

Reaction score
Was messing around in MCC today getting more familar with the ins and outs and came across the cruise control tables and I'm looking to pick someones brain on how the PCM fully controls it. Does the truck actually need to be in drive for the entire cruise control system to be active, or will it activate in park? I'm thinking I could set this up like the newer dodges with the cummins, when your in park to set the hi hidle you just turn it on and hit set and your good. It would be pretty easy in MCC, the two tables which are " Minimum Vehicle Speed to Enable Cruise" and "Minimum Vehicle Speed to Set" are both at 9mph. You could set them both to 0 and turn on the cruise like normal, bring it up to the RPM you want, hit set... and your golden? Anyone have any other info on this? I'm pretty busy this weekend or else I would just go try it on my own, but probably wont have any free time until next week.

Zmann

Reaction score
High Idle is so easy to achieve with just a switch that I don't think I would want to chance any side effects of your creative thinking outside of the box method

CT9AIX

Reaction score
I agree, it is fairly easy and I have it hooked up to a upfitter switch right now. But I would love to free up that switch for use on other things on the truck ( its a work truck got strobes, fuel pumps, all sorts of crap) and still be able to have an adjustable high idle. Right now I've got mine hooked up like the PTO would and a pot wired in to adjust it. It would be like killing two birds with one stone, free up the upfitter switch and clean up inside the truck a little more by being able to remove the pot being able to do it internally through the PCM.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
I agree that it would be cool and instant and.maybe even controlled as far as how many rpm it high idles at.

Good thinking I might mess around with that myself be nice in the pits to turn the fan full blast and.idle up to 1500 to cool things off

CT9AIX

Reaction score
It really would simplify things as far as high idle goes... and the RPM adjustability thing is really what the selling point is for me atleast. If we can make it work just like the cruise does normally, you can run it at what ever RPM you so choose. If you do mees around with it this weekend keep me/us in the loop.... if not next week I'll start playing with it and report back.

Zmann

Reaction score
no I see whay you would need full adjustability

do they sell an AIC for the 6.4 ?

100_1066.jpg

6point0damn2004

Reaction score
I don't see how that would hurt anything. The Internationals we have at work that have the maxxforce dt's work the same way. You turn cruise on, rev to the rpm you want and set cruise and it'll run at that rpm. Has to be in neutral obviously. I always wished my truck had the same capability

qcfarmer

Reaction score
I don't see how that would hurt anything. The Internationals we have at work that have the maxxforce dt's work the same way. You turn cruise on, rev to the rpm you want and set cruise and it'll run at that rpm. Has to be in neutral obviously. I always wished my truck had the same capability

Same as our international 7500 with an ht570.

Meniacal_Mark

Reaction score
I saw a video of a guy who did that with a duramax, pretty cool to be able to set the high idle wherever you want.

CT9AIX

Reaction score
Well... Finally home from an 800 mile weekend road trip. I did a little searching around and couldn't find an answer if the truck HAS to be in drive to activate cruise or not. So tomorrow afternoon I'm going to set those 2 tables I mentioned in the first port to 0 and try it out. I'll keep everyone updated.

Latest posts

Members online