Polished aluminum wheels.....

6fodays

Reaction score
Im running 20x12 American force shield ss8's, i was looking for some suggestions from other guys running Af wheels or similar...

1: whats the best cleaner for them? Ive just been using my regular wash/wax soap that i use on my whole truck...

2: What polish do you use? Im tired of having to scrub brake dust off for hours, and every polish i have tried hasnt made it easier....ive been looking at killer waxx stuff if anyone has any input on that.

3: not really a wheel question but what brakes should i run to eliminate brake dust? Ive always ran ceramic but i havent changed the brakes on this truck. I dont tow much. Once again, just tired of scrubbing for hours.

And here's a pic...
0c9226aeadd1baa7ad14294955bb593c.jpg
fb61eec5991d800129c1fd1108ff45cf.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6fodays

Reaction score
a210d7360324476fe456d4730bdd280a.jpg

This is how mine look after scrubbing with soap, before polish.

WHY NOT

Reaction score
cb83ae8cb64d98c1d21fc6f0dcddf637.jpg

Before I polished mine this is washed with a really harsh wheel cleaner.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

zporta

Reaction score
Check out purple polish
EFA439BF-D518-4A19-836C-B2F705141870_zpsaff7xnmn.jpg

DE25A81B-AED5-42DA-86D9-012BA28ADEB6_zpstiqragc3.jpg

Spent all of 20 seconds on that small section of my lip. Works great!

UNBROKEN

Reaction score
I'm lazy...and I hate polishing. Once they're shined up to your liking buy this kit, it's the best $100 you'll ever spend.
www.shineseal.com

If not a sealer I'd clear powdercoat them. One way or another I'll never polish a wheel again.

truckman1974

Reaction score
I'm lazy...and I hate polishing. Once they're shined up to your liking buy this kit, it's the best $100 you'll ever spend.
www.shineseal.com

If not a sealer I'd clear powdercoat them. One way or another I'll never polish a wheel again.

clear powdercoat.....hmmmm. I didn't know that was out there. Does it change the appearance of the wheel at all? I mean, does it dull it at all or take away some of the shine or you can't tell that it's on there?

capt dong

Reaction score
Will let you know in a few months how good this Shine Seal stuff is. Kinda thinking I should've went with a powercoat clear or black.

Attachments

• 20160112_223004.jpg
    20160112_223004.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 176
  • 20160206_192208.jpg
    20160206_192208.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 148

UNBROKEN

Reaction score
Will let you know in a few months how good this Shine Seal stuff is. Kinda thinking I should've went with a powercoat clear or black.

Everything on the motor in the truck in my avatar was all polished aluminum....that stuff worked great. I rarely had to do more than wipe it down with a damp cloth and it stayed shiny for over a year until I sold it.

TripleE44

Reaction score
A lot of the powdercoated clear wheels I've seen have a little bit of a haze to them. For that reason I'd only ever do something like shine seal. You could also try a ceramic coating like Cquartz.

Either way something like that it would help you out a lot. On top of that, I would use a spray sealant everytime I washed the truck as kind of a quick detailer on the wheels. Any barrier you can make to keep things from getting in the aluminum is going to help in the future.

I also wouldn't use harsh wheel cleaners on those wheels. Soapy water should be plenty. Some cleaners will dull the finish and create more work for you. Not to mention shorten the life of whatever shine seal like product you put on em.

This whole reason is why I stick with black wheels now. I put welds on my first truck when I was 16. Never again.

6fodays

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses, i think i might try the kit mentioned earlier. How does the sealant work? I wouldnt want to use to much, but i want it to be effective

6fodays

Reaction score
www.shineseal.com

The master kit is all i will need?

capt dong

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses, i think i might try the kit mentioned earlier. How does the sealant work? I wouldnt want to use to much, but i want it to be effective

It explained that the sealant chemically bonds to the metal and the its waxed to add protection. Used half a bottle of sealant and wax for all 4. Stuff is not cheap and has expiration date. Might use the whole kit to wash and seal my intercooler.

6fodays

Reaction score
It explained that the sealant chemically bonds to the metal and the its waxed to add protection. Used half a bottle of sealant and wax for all 4. Stuff is not cheap and has expiration date. Might use the whole kit to wash and seal my intercooler.

And after they are polished and sealed the brake dust and dirt should was right off? How long will the sealant last before i have to repolish and reseal

truckman1974

Reaction score
Kind of scary to put something like this on wheels that you have $5k+ invested in (including the tires)...and hope they don't mess them up. It's nice to see others on here have actually used it and the ShineSeal works...... I want my AFs to last a long time and I'm lazy too and don't want to polish them. However, I'd rather pay someone to polish them for me than mess them up trying to get by (being lazy).

I'm sure I will end up trying the ShineSeal too.

6fodays.....please let us know how it works out for you.

6fodays

Reaction score
Kind of scary to put something like this on wheels that you have $5k+ invested in (including the tires)...and hope they don't mess them up. It's nice to see others on here have actually used it and the ShineSeal works...... I want my AFs to last a long time and I'm lazy too and don't want to polish them. However, I'd rather pay someone to polish them for me than mess them up trying to get by (being lazy).

I'm sure I will end up trying the ShineSeal too.

6fodays.....please let us know how it works out for you.

True, i might pay someone to do it if i can find someone that does. Id hate to mess mine up as well, but itd be so nice to not have to worry about polishing them for hours ever week.

truckman1974

Reaction score
Man, I'll be the first one to tell you I'm lazy........but I will pay someone to shine my wheels for me. Most car detail places will do it (the nicer ones) but I don't know how much it costs (I haven't had it done before....my AFs are brand new and in storage for the winter, but I will figure it out this summer). Probably an extra $40 or so. If you only get that once a month then it'd be worth it. Just to keep them up.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.