Injector rattle

brewster

Reaction score
Curious as to why especially on a colder engine when I'm accelerating normally around the 2000rpm mark the injectors rattle real hard. The injection sounds changes dramatically and sounds horrible. Is this the pilot injection ?

Jsexton

Reaction score
I have the same problem with my 6.4. I hate the noise. I wonder if their is a way to alter the pilot injection to clean up the injector rattle.

ckrueg

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure it's because the pilot injection cuts back a lot around 2k+ rpms. I added them back somewhat and it helped

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

tnutcher

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure it's because the pilot injection cuts back a lot around 2k+ rpms. I added them back somewhat and it helped

What tables did you adjust for the pilot injection? Only one I'm seeing with noticeable drop after 2k rpm is the pre inj. 2 activation map. Any downside to running it the same as the pre inj. 1 table above it?
5285d35c769ca6eda4112d21a506d519.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

ckrueg

Reaction score
Yeah on my tunes i had turned them on all the way up in rpms. I did turn them off under higher torque however

Azraie218

Reaction score
depending what BASE file the tune was built off, HS for some reason pulled some Pre injection 1 fuel amount from the table in some of the tunes... thats the one that will casuse you to hear that sound.... they puled it right around the 2000RPM mark in the upper load range. ensure that your activation maps are on ( set to 1) for the pre injection 1 maps, ( dont worry so much about pre injection 2 activation tables in the upper RPM) then go over in to Pre inj. 1 mass fuel commanded Temp 0, and temp 1 and ensure that there is not 0s in the area of the rattle ( likely if your getting a rattle there will be no commanded mass fuel amounts) ... if there is 0s start adding fuel till it shuts the rattle up and makes a happy sound ( if you have access to the tune thats in to the truck, im assuming that its got custom tunes if your running a single with bigger sticks) .

Last edited:

TD-5

Reaction score
They also changed the timing (BTDC) in both pre injection 1 & 2 tables. Mostly increases but also some decreases in timing.

Attachments

• pre inj timing.jpg
    pre inj timing.jpg
    330 KB · Views: 113

ckrueg

Reaction score
That timing map looks odd for a pilot timing map. Should be way more advanced than that. Stock is 15-30 degrees most of the time

TD-5

Reaction score
Sorry, that's using the compare difference function between the H&S 300 map & the stock Map.
these are the actually maps

Attachments

• 300.jpg
    300.jpg
    300.6 KB · Views: 107
  • stock.jpg
    stock.jpg
    304.7 KB · Views: 100

brewster

Reaction score
Thanks for the response guys, sorry for the delay i was away for work. I forgot to mention that this mostly happens or is more audible on a cold engine. Even accelerating lightly it is super loud.

brewster

Reaction score
how come i dont see an option to post my files / images. was going to post the tune or images.

brewster

Reaction score
never mind, got it figured. Curious is the lower fuel mass in the lower rpm and torque range will give the rattle sound and if adding more fuel might help clear it up. Also where does post injection come into play and why is it mostly off. Post injection used for *** regen ?

Attachments

• post 1 active map.PNG
    post 1 active map.PNG
    15.9 KB · Views: 101
  • pre active 1.PNG
    pre active 1.PNG
    15.7 KB · Views: 94
  • pre inj 0.jpg
    pre inj 0.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 89
  • pre inject snip.jpg
    pre inject snip.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 94

Kind

Reaction score
Yes, post injection is primarily used for emissions.

On other platforms people have used it to help spool chargers but we are unable to do that.... I tried lol.

#letsgochamp

Diesel625

Reaction score
Mine did that as well with the ghead tunes I ran. The truck had 140k when I finally ******d it. It seemed to get worse when the miles piled up. I tried the tow, street, and hot street. The tow with the least injector rattle. I put a set of ford reman injectors at 175k and the sound got very quiet. That was with the street tune.

brewster

Reaction score
Yea I'm thinking there is an issue with these injectors. Not impressed with them. Haven't been able to get rid of smoke and have pretty hot egts soon as I put my foot into it a bit. I I know having a non vgt has a lot to do with it but ddp claims these 50hp are a direct drop in with less smoke and more mileage then stock injectors. I have yet to experience any of that lol. I should have just bought brand new stockers as I'm not looking for the most power I can squeeze out of it.

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score
If you are stock single HPFP and anything over stock nozzles, that's the reason of all your issues.. (egt, smoke)

Pull back PW or get a dual fueler if you want to keep the nozzles.

Other then that put the stock nozzles back on.

brewster

Reaction score
Really hey. Why would the 50hp injectors cause an issue with the stock hpfp. Is there not enough fuel or the fuel not atomizing properly. It was holding 25k psi pretty good. How would doing a dual duel set up help the smoke and egts. I think I'm heading back to a stock injector pretty quick here as it makes plenty of power for my liking and id like to be able to tow my boat with it anyways.

sootie

Reaction score
poor atomization as the single pump cannot maintain rail pressure.