175/80 idle haze

Bmcgarvie

Reaction score
I just installed 175/80 injectors along with a new hpop and new glow plugs. After installing all this stuff I noticed that I get a light haze on cold start. I’m wondering if this is normal. Also when up to temp I get a lopey idle and I’m wondering if the ipr could be causing the lopey idle, haze, or both.
Thanks in advance.

Bmcgarvie

Reaction score
I have a dp tuner infinity so I can do basic stuff like see what the injection pressure is. And I've run a compression test. And there's about 1500 miles on this set up.

mikeeg02

Reaction score
Lopey idle after EOT gets up there could be tuning related. I had that issue with my injectors. The tuner tried a few things and worked it out after I sent a few data logs in. How cold of a start are we talking? I ask because it's been 10* over night here and 20* during the day lately. And I'd expect some haze until it warms up some. But I also have 285k on my long block too

superpsd

Reaction score
For whatever reason I am unsure of. The 175/80s are known to have idle issues that tuning can take care of. I think Tim posted about it but would not specify what the issue exactly was and how they were fixing it.

Bmcgarvie

Reaction score
I have talked to ******** about tuning and had some revisions and it helped a lot but still some haze. And up here in Washington cold starts are never less than 30 degrees. But most of the time it's in my garage that's about 60.

As far as the oil possibly causing the lope. I changed the oil to schaeffers when I replaced the injectors and hpop. So it has about 1500. I'm using the 7000. Idk if that could be my problem. I'm open to try whatever. Just want a smooth idle.

mandkole

Reaction score
Haze only at cold start? It goes away when warm?

As said, the larger nozzles will take work to de-haze at cold idle. The idle getting choppier when warm is often the injs coming out of balance as the oil sides get leaky (with thin oil). Is the idle better in gear?

superpsd

Reaction score
Some builders also have Issues with quality rebuilds if you do some searching around. To fix the issue a little more investigation and data logging would be helpful. Most injector rebuilders are using shims for worn armature clearances which has some downsides and seem to be more prone to issues.

Last edited:

Bmcgarvie

Reaction score
The haze is only at cold idle and goes away when warm usually after about 5 min of idling and it's fairly clean. As for the rough idle. It's intermittent and doesn't matter wether it's in gear or not. It's about the same. The injectors are from pis if that helps at all. I bought them cause they have had nothing but good reviews from what I've read. As for data logs. I'll be able to get them but might take a few days. I don't daily drive the truck.

mandkole

Reaction score
Yep, PIS got good reviews by many. After Tim left, I've coincidentally heard nothing but complaint. I was planning to send mine there but don't know what I'll do.

Bmcgarvie

Reaction score
Well I think I should be good then I purchased my injectors around march of this year. I also replaced my hpop with one of there units. Do you guys thinks an air bubble under my icp could cause some of these issues?

Bmcgarvie

Reaction score
So a little bit of an update. I started the truck this morning. Oil temp was 37 degrees. The truck started to romp for a bit. The truck has new injectors icp sensor and hpop. The only thing not new was the ipr. Just stuck the old one in. So I think I’m leaning toward the ipr needing replaced. Possibly a tune revision as compression checks out.

gnxtc2

Reaction score
The haze is only at cold idle and goes away when warm usually after about 5 min of idling and it's fairly clean. As for the rough idle. It's intermittent and doesn't matter wether it's in gear or not. It's about the same. The injectors are from pis if that helps at all. I bought them cause they have had nothing but good reviews from what I've read. As for data logs. I'll be able to get them but might take a few days. I don't daily drive the truck.

Well I think I should be good then I purchased my injectors around march of this year. I also replaced my hpop with one of there units. Do you guys thinks an air bubble under my icp could cause some of these issues?

So a little bit of an update. I started the truck this morning. Oil temp was 37 degrees. The truck started to romp for a bit. The truck has new injectors icp sensor and hpop. The only thing not new was the ipr. Just stuck the old one in. So I think I’m leaning toward the ipr needing replaced. Possibly a tune revision as compression checks out.

My truck acts the same. See sig for build up. I do a cold start and it hazes.
Plus my truck sits in the garage which I keep at 70*. As soon as I pull it outside, it hazes because the motor is not up to operating temps. Once the motor warms up, the haze is gone.

After the oil temps get to operating temp (200*ish), the idle is rough when I put in Park, Neutral or Drive waiting at a light.

The truck needs to be live tuned and all the issues will be fixed. The hard part is getting the truck live tuned. You made a post when the revisions were done, it got better which should answer your question that it's tuning related. Tim posted a while back on what needs to be done tuning wise to the 175/80s but didn't elaborate. Hopefully he can elaborate so we can atleast pass the info along to the tuner.

Billy T.
[email protected]

Latest posts

Members online