'03 and '05 Driveshafts?

imelmo

Reaction score
Went to the track yesterday for Diesel Thunder. Made a good first pass but got some wheel hop on the second one and busted the front driveshaft.

I have the donor truck for the Fordota at my shop and it is an '03. All the drivetrain under ZMBYKLR is from an '05. Are those front driveshafts interchangeable? And if so is one stronger than the other or are they exactly the same?

sootie

Reaction score
Strength will be the same but they are for sure a different length so they don't interchange.

co04cobra

Reaction score
Best thing to do is get them both out beside each other. I can't remember for 100% but seems like I have made that swap before.

They redesigned the shafts in 05 but no integral upgrades.

I was thinking the length was within 1/2in of each other. If so, that is close enough for you to run it in your application IMO.

I change so much of that stuff around, gas to diesel, manual trans to auto, etc.. I may be completely wrong.

If your front shaft is damaged to much for comparison get a measurement from T-case flange to center of front yoke.

sootie

Reaction score
the 03 shaft is at least 1.5" longer. There is not enough room in the slip to get it into the u-joint, period. I fought for a long time before giving up and buying a new one haha.

imelmo

Reaction score
I pulled the one out of the '03 and they are pretty dang close like co04cobra said; maybe 1/2' difference. I think it'll work. I ordered some new u-joints for it and am gonna try and put it in tomorrow.

103820CF-E227-486E-B105-37336AF9EB8D_zpsqvdgtovi.jpg

sootie

Reaction score
make sure you have enough slip in the yoke for full spring compression.

mikeeg02

Reaction score
Find a local drive shaft shop, they can shorten it no problem. The shops are usually geared around larger trucks, but a drive shaft is a drive shaft. Hell you could get them to "re-tube" it with a heavier wall pipe if you're worried about the pipe itself.

Though looking at your picture, it looks like the double cardan section broke? Or what broke?

cbf9703

Reaction score
Find a local drive shaft shop, they can shorten it no problem. The shops are usually geared around larger trucks, but a drive shaft is a drive shaft. Hell you could get them to "re-tube" it with a heavier wall pipe if you're worried about the pipe itself.

Though looking at your picture, it looks like the double cardan section broke? Or what broke?
I 2nd having a driveshaft shop do it. I've been very happy with my local shop.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

co04cobra

Reaction score
Looks like the bearing in the double cardan broke. It was probably going out and the launches finished it off.

That is a extremely common failure point. Check that bearing on your 03 shaft really good.

imelmo

Reaction score
the 03 shaft is at least 1.5" longer. There is not enough room in the slip to get it into the u-joint, period. I fought for a long time before giving up and buying a new one haha.

make sure you have enough slip in the yoke for full spring compression.

I see what you're talking about now, but I think it will be ok with the lift. I'll know this afternoon.

imelmo

Reaction score

Looks like the bearing in the double cardan broke. It was probably going out and the launches finished it off.

That is a extremely common failure point. Check that bearing on your 03 shaft really good.

Correct, that is what broke.

mikeeg02

Reaction score
If it didn't mess up the bearing end on the old shaft, and you're re-jointing it anyways, why not get a new cardan section? And fix your old one?

imelmo

Reaction score
Can you get just that? Have a part number? Seems like I looked into that before and you had to get the complete driveshaft.

mikeeg02

Reaction score
I'll try to look it up. In the mean time you should find a local driveshaft company. They can and will have it. Probably on the shelf. Should be ~100-150 for them to get on and even put it together for you. (And I always have mine balanced)

Measure the OD of the bearing caps with a set of calipers, and the overall length and post it up. I think the double cardan joints are 1310s but I can't 100% remember that they aren't 1350s. Either way I'll need to know to look up the Spicer p/n

mikeeg02

Reaction score
Whatever you do, spend the extra money and get spicer NON greasable u joints. They last significantly longer than ANY greasable joint you can get. Thats what OEM joints are, and why they last to 100k+. Obviously your in the high hp region, and going to be hard on them.

Latest posts

Members online