Oil cooler relocation idea

Reaction score
Would anyone know the direction the coolant flows across the oil cooler? Iirc, the oil goes front of engine toward the rear through the cooler. But I'm unsure of the coolant direction. The reason I ask is I'll be pulling my engine soon, and I would like to make oil cooler block off plates to drill and tap NPT fittings Into, route oil to something similar to a 6.0 trans cooler mounted out front. Then I was thinking of drilling and tapping fittings into the coolant portion and possibly running that up to a coolant filter and base. Just spit-balling at the moment but if the cooler were large enough, my little brain thinks it should be ok. Thoughts anyone?

ja_cain

Reaction score
I would think it's most likely counter current since that gives you maximum overall heat transfer. If I was setting one up, thats how I would configure it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

NC714

Reaction score
I believe counter current to be correct also. I would note that if you are intending to replace the engine oil cooler with an Air-to-Oil cooler, in place of the factory Water-to-Oil cooler, that you may not get satisfactory cooling when the engine is hot and the vehicle is not moving, I.E. coming to a stop after pulling a long grade, etc. Sure the fan will pull some air across it, but I don't think I would be comfortable with Only an air to water cooler for engine oil cooling. Just something to think about.

79jasper

Reaction score
Here's oil flow.
c6557cae672b7c0d5dd3548be28645b4.jpg

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Thank you guys for the input. I don't live in an overly populated area so low speed airflow I was not worried with. But there are 3 routes here locally that are 8-9.5° several miles long each, and I think they would pose a problem. I may go ahead and do the block off plates, then just mount a universal liquid to liquid cooler elsewhere

Reaction score
I've just acquired my last piece (for now) of equipment to start doing a little fab work. A lot of the guys I talked to said they started out by building stuff for their own vehicles. My thought is to do some things to this truck for the practice and the end result will be something people can't say they've seen something that looks like it. I like to have my stuff different from most other people's. My initial concept is a remote mount turbo in the passenger front engine bay, with a large, high capacity, intake manifold on top of the engine. So moving the oil cooler elsewhere should be close to making enough room for a front exit manifold.

Latest posts

Members online