Go Back   PowerStrokeArmy > Non - Specific > Aftermarket Electronics

Old 11-10-2017, 11:13 AM
Lieutenant
Member's Gallery

Default Best LED Grill Mount lights

I’ve been doing highway inspection for a while now using my own rig. I’ve got a generic eBay set of amber/white grill mount strobes but I’m wanting to change them out.

I’m thinking of going with a Linear style led, Amber/Blue. I’ve looked around at a bunch of led tactical lighting websites but I’d thought I’d get the opinion of you guys on here on what your preference is for strobe lighting, traffic advisor stuff.

Also, what if any, controllers are you guys running for your lights and/or traffic advisor strobes?

Thanks!
PMF Dual Stabilizer Kit
295/65/20 on 20x9 Flat Black
Stage 2 AFE CAI
More to come very soon...
Old 11-10-2017, 04:41 PM
Lieutenant
Member's Gallery

Iíve always been a whelen guy, but Iíve ran some speedtech lights and the seems to hold up and are bright as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-11-2017, 08:16 AM
Major
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanoFord View Post
I’ve been doing highway inspection for a while now using my own rig. I’ve got a generic eBay set of amber/white grill mount strobes but I’m wanting to change them out.

I’m thinking of going with a Linear style led, Amber/Blue. I’ve looked around at a bunch of led tactical lighting websites but I’d thought I’d get the opinion of you guys on here on what your preference is for strobe lighting, traffic advisor stuff.

Also, what if any, controllers are you guys running for your lights and/or traffic advisor strobes?

Thanks!
You can't go wrong with Whelen. I have a Mini Century bar mounted on top of my headache rack. It is by far brighter than the cheapo bars our inspectors have.

If you do any night work, remember that your headlights can easily over power your grill mounted strobes. And don't forget about the rear of your vehicle. Company I work for puts these right over the reverse light on their brand new Chevys, and they work great for reverse lights as well. http://www.strobesnmore.com/Whelen-V...ing-Light.html

Make sure you check your state laws on the legality of blue. Here in Ohio, blue is only for armed law enforcement. The state snow plows have went to green/amber after getting the approval for green (was reserved solely for fire command). Just make sure you know your state and surrounding state's in case you travel.

Last edited by PDT1081; 11-11-2017 at 08:19 AM.
Old 11-11-2017, 11:09 AM
Lieutenant
Member's Gallery

Here in Texas you can run blue as long as it’s coupled with either white or amber. A lot of my work is through TxDOT so I’ve got a letter covering me if I ever get pulled over.

I’ll have to check out those lights and bars. Whelen are great but $$$. I’ve been looking at getting some Feniex linear optics for my grill/rear bumper lights. Considering a Dual Chameleon light bar. I’d love to build a custom bar just like the cop overheads just amber/blue but every where I’ve seen it’s $1k+
PMF Dual Stabilizer Kit
295/65/20 on 20x9 Flat Black
Stage 2 AFE CAI
More to come very soon...
Old 11-11-2017, 12:47 PM
Major
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanoFord View Post
Here in Texas you can run blue as long as itís coupled with either white or amber. A lot of my work is through TxDOT so Iíve got a letter covering me if I ever get pulled over.

Iíll have to check out those lights and bars. Whelen are great but $$$. Iíve been looking at getting some Feniex linear optics for my grill/rear bumper lights. Considering a Dual Chameleon light bar. Iíd love to build a custom bar just like the cop overheads just amber/blue but every where Iíve seen itís $1k+
Like everything, it's a balance between cost and quality. I've heard good things about Feniex, but don't have any personal experience with them. Been wanting to try a set of Cannon dual color in my reverse lights, but haven't been able to justify the cost.

A mix of high mount and low mounted lights is best. If you're working around heavy equipment, too many lights can be a distraction, especially at night.