replacing rocker arm

Baysideburner

Reaction score
Hey Sootie, since I'm going to remove valve covers and money isn't the issue should I just replace the whole lifter assembly both sides?or just overkill?

sootie

Reaction score
Hey Sootie, since I'm going to remove valve covers and money isn't the issue should I just replace the whole lifter assembly both sides?or just overkill?

normally thats how they get replaced. I havent seen the individual arms get replaced. Just double check the height of the new assemblies and get the updated pushrods as well. There has been shorter pedestals discovered and when used with the old style longer pushrods, valves can contact pistons.

Baysideburner

Reaction score
I dont want to sound like a dumbass but I fef want to do this job myself. I belive I have the patience and the age to take my time and do this right. My next question is now about the push rods.is it as simple as taking out the old and dropping in new?. I have a complete workshop manual I will ve working from but these are the tips only the pros can give like u guys.

sootie

Reaction score
I dont want to sound like a dumbass but I fef want to do this job myself. I belive I have the patience and the age to take my time and do this right. My next question is now about the push rods.is it as simple as taking out the old and dropping in new?. I have a complete workshop manual I will ve working from but these are the tips only the pros can give like u guys.

yes.

mohead1

Reaction score
I bought rockers (complete set) on the pedistal for both sides. Also replaced the bridges....this was at 100k miles and the rockers were beat...very worn. Bridges had wear too. Added new pushrods and all was good for another 100k i hope. Im second owner. Using very strict maint schedules and good syn oil.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

08stroker250

Reaction score
Alright guys, I've been gone for a while. While I was out I did the egr ****** and radiator hoses etc. Didn't do rockers, they looked good. Got it back together and it imediatly threw a cylinder 3 misfire and contribution. Truck ran for about a minute before I shut it down. I've gotten the contribution code a couple of times over the years, but it immediatly clears and runs fine. I'm going to replace the injector, but I'm not sure whos to go with. Do I go with ford or is therer another vendor that y'all suggest. I know they are all pretty much reman units. I'm looking for reliability. My truck is fully ******d and tunned, otherwise its stock. Pm me if you'd like to.

Thanks
Adam

dboat

Reaction score
Alright guys, I've been gone for a while. While I was out I did the egr ****** and radiator hoses etc. Didn't do rockers, they looked good. Got it back together and it imediatly threw a cylinder 3 misfire and contribution. Truck ran for about a minute before I shut it down. I've gotten the contribution code a couple of times over the years, but it immediatly clears and runs fine. I'm going to replace the injector, but I'm not sure whos to go with. Do I go with ford or is therer another vendor that y'all suggest. I know they are all pretty much reman units. I'm looking for reliability. My truck is fully ******d and tunned, otherwise its stock. Pm me if you'd like to.

Thanks
Adam
FWIW, I went back with Ford on mine

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

08stroker250

Reaction score
10-4. That was my plan. I had looked at oem and Alliant as well as well as others. Does ford actually rebuild the injectors or are they farmed out?

mohead1

Reaction score
How many miles on the engine? No wear on rocker arms/bridges is unusual....these engines are known for it....mine were well on the way out at approx. 100k....

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Fwiw the new rockers have oiling ports atop The rocker that lube the tip

08stroker250

Reaction score
Truck has 114k. It looked good to me although it was 2:30 am after working all day. I’ll check again for sure though. I know I need an injector for sure. That’s good to know about the new rockers.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
It's kinda hard to see the under side of the tips. I'd take em off. They really do need to be updated. The tips are barely getting oiled

mohead1

Reaction score
Thats wat i mean too....i bought my truck w 98k on the clock....started hearing about rockers. I took some off to look-see at about 105k, was shocked at the wear on the tips...one stuck (they are supposed to move a bit) and the other worn almost to the actual socket metal...decided to pull them all, found maybe 2 servicable out of the bunch w most of the bridges heavily worn and showing fatigue. And this truck had regular service (oil changes) according to records....you better have a closer look. I have pics i can show u if wanted

Baysideburner

Reaction score
Yes please on the pics!. I just want definitive proof of a worn rocker before I pull all of it apart. Its amazing how many testimonials I read about meticulous maintained trucks with severely worn tips. But fixable so im anxiously awaiting to get started. Btw. Is the valve cover gasket reusable?

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Yes reusable.

It takes a scope or mirror to see the damage. Even than it's a crap shoot.

mohead1

Reaction score
Pics of some of the rockers after 101k
Note that the ends are supposed to be a little articulating button...the buttons here are almost gone and down to the actual rocker arm....also some galled up bridges....i had a compare old to mew somewhere....looking thru my pics
2e804ce1c47f655b7f07b5ba228f1387.jpg
95ab7e06021d19a21b67b42dea4cfb83.jpg
56595c94754e5ecfff8d0877c367f145.jpg
c7addc10476362725847e6b4169e1b9a.jpg
65094650466e482ac3e23731d2fe4735.jpg
ea5e2f39e374f38fc54b4a3effa14bcc.jpg

Baysideburner

Reaction score
That's ridiculous. Great job looking and great job repairing. Even though tnats a complete design flaw must feel good to know it's fixed right

mohead1

Reaction score
Yep, read alot about probs on these forums.....decided to pull em and damn glad I did

Sent from my Venue 8 3830 using Tapatalk