Cracked piston

Roccafellas

Reaction score
You wish....

1bec4cefe571a71e3df11c8e5732f7ed.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kleake

Reaction score
That is good info. Is sleeving a good option though? My initial thoughts are no, but I've heard some say it works fine.

Reaction score
That is good info. Is sleeving a good option though? My initial thoughts are no, but I've heard some say it works fine.
I think it is viable solution. However, you have to take into consideration cost and proper machining. Not all machine shops are equal.

Sorry I cant be much more help.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Roccafellas

Reaction score

I’ve heard that sleeving these blocks is a 50/50 chance with the thin cylinder wall protruding into the crankcase area that machining it could either crack/break that thin wall, or leave you will barely any metal after and pounding the sleeve in could result in damage too, i had the option to sleeve my block but I decided to find one used, and have it bored .20 over best decision ever, now i’m not worried about sleeves and if needed I can sleeve my old block and test it and see how it works and if it works I have two good blocks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kleake

Reaction score
That's the direction I am thinking so far. I'm not too crazy about the idea of sleeving one of these. Too much $$$ at risk.

kleake

Reaction score
Well, here is what it looks like at .025. Doubting .030 will look much different. Can't hardly feel it, but it's enough I don't trust it. I don't care fore the sleeve idea, so I'm on the search for a block. Joy joy...
fce794ddd5693f9f683c91b92affa785.jpg
6f6b34eb64daae2dd4cad8a76b14da3f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

co04cobra

Reaction score
If the machine shop and/or machinist are capable I do not see a problem with sleeving.

My machinist uses the LA west sleeves and sees no problem, but as was stated, if it's the machinist first attempt at this repair I could see the concern.

kleake

Reaction score
If the machine shop and/or machinist are capable I do not see a problem with sleeving.

My machinist uses the LA west sleeves and sees no problem, but as was stated, if it's the machinist first attempt at this repair I could see the concern.

He has done a couple of 6.4's and plenty of others, but he does NOT like to do it on these. Those cyl walls are super thin and he just does not like it. He also said the sleeves are usually a softer metal than the block. My concern is with the intense heat, how well would a sleeve hold up when you are pushing things pretty hard. Can it transfer the head to the water jacket as quick as a non-sleeved cyl? Maybe i'm overthinking, but I just don't like that thought when i've got this much tied up in it.

Spectre32

Reaction score
Sleeving is pretty common in plenty of other applications (Marine, Heavy Construction, OTR, etc.) I would think if you have a good machine shop you would be set.

Reaction score
Sleeving is pretty common in plenty of other applications (Marine, Heavy Construction, OTR, etc.) I would think if you have a good machine shop you would be set.
Most OTR engines and Heavy Equipment is Wet sleeved. Where the engine is designed specifically for serviceable sleeves.

This is not the case here. This is a aftermarket solution to save a block.

sootie

Reaction score
When i had this issue, Morgan advised me against sleeving if i was pushing it hard and wanting long term reliability.

Spectre32

Reaction score
I would think if you could remove bore material to get to .030 over then sleeveing it would not be a big issue. Your adding material back into the equation, assuming you wouldn't need to bore more than .030.

Reaction score
I would think if you could remove bore material to get to .030 over then sleeveing it would not be a big issue. Your adding material back into the equation, assuming you wouldn't need to bore more than .030.
The outside bore diameter of the sleeve is 4.000". The stock bore size on a 6.4l is 3.870". A 0.030" over bore is 3.900". Therefore, You have to bore 0.100" over 0.030" bore size.

kleake

Reaction score
Long story short, my block was too far gone. Bought a used motor in hopes of a usable block, but it was worse than mine. Found a good block from another forum member and had it shipped here. Machine shop took forever, but finally got to it. .020 over pistons and stage 1 cam showed up today and will be taken to the machine shop tomorrow. I hope they are faster at this last part so I can get it back. I've been down since october...
1006a212e1c1dc54eb0edf39dcb28664.jpg
e6e651ddba15335541a59d1b0c553366.jpg
d69f83569f78539b5a5b54fed69c8ce3.jpg
ccd11747128a248789920ea03e2df100.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online