all gauges and throttle lost

Duradan

Reaction score
I am currently working on our 1999 F450 Superduty at my work, and its been having an issue with blowing fuse 19 (Auxillary Powertrain Control Module, Instrument Cluster, GEM Module, Overdrive Cancel Switch, Idle Validation Switch, Overhead Console).

When It blows this fuse it loses all throttle and gauges go dead... Which is a big issue when we are towing a heavy load up a grade.

We have it wired to the fuse box so that when this happens we can stick a fuse in it while it is still rolling. But we would like to fix the problem.

Does anyone know what would cause this fuse blowing issue? I was told that there may be a wire in the steering column shorting out, so I pulled it apart and all wires look intact.

Any tips?

Fordcowboy

Reaction score
Worn, shorting wires in the shift lever going to the OD switch was the problem when mine did it. Not sure if the one you are working on is an auto or not, or if you checked those 3 wires while in the steering column.

David N

Reaction score
Worn, shorting wires in the shift lever going to the OD switch was the problem when mine did it. Not sure if the one you are working on is an auto or not, or if you checked those 3 wires while in the steering column.

x2. Check this. We've had this problem before. Fixed the wire and its been trouble free since.

Duradan

Reaction score
x2. Check this. We've had this problem before. Fixed the wire and its been trouble free since.

Yup, found the broken wires when I pulled the shift lever off today, got a new one for $52 and she is back together... this should be like a sticky for Superduty 7.3 owners, I heard from the local auto shop that this happens a lot...

Tom S

Reaction score
Yup, found the broken wires when I pulled the shift lever off today, got a new one for $52 and she is back together... this should be like a sticky for Superduty 7.3 owners, I heard from the local auto shop that this happens a lot...

I agree could you do a little write on this?

hawkeyes

Reaction score
My 2002 did that to me it was the wires at the end of the shifter. I repaired the wires and rerouted them with chafe protection and haven had anymore problems.

Barnabas

Reaction score
anyone have the part number for the little plastic piece on the end of the shifter that goes around the o/d button?? Mine is missing. I would hate for stuff to get in there causing this problem on mine.

Skinnymonk16

Reaction score
Junk 7.3 f450 2000

My throttle and my dash cluster all goes dead but the truck continues to run and every time I replace the fuse it blows it as I turn the key on and it's not my over drive wires because I have a manual.