Truck smokes whites when trying to start

littlerobert1983

Reaction score
My truck quits when warm and is hard to restart when cold and is crazy smoke coming from exhaust that is white. The selector valve was hot the other day to the touch. When hooked electric pump up it would push fuel to the return line in the tank and over flow out the fuel neck. The truck ran out of fuel on the way to get fuel and has started this issue like it's starving for fuel. Could there be debris in the mechanical pump blocking it? Truck runs great at idle but when warm under load it will stumble until it quits then is hard to restart

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk

littlerobert1983

Reaction score
My truck quits when warm and is hard to restart when cold and is crazy smoke coming from exhaust that is white. The selector valve was hot the other day to the touch. When hooked electric pump up it would push fuel to the return line in the tank and over flow out the fuel neck. The truck ran out of fuel on the way to get fuel and has started this issue like it's starving for fuel. Could there be debris in the mechanical pump blocking it? Truck runs great at idle but when warm under load it will stumble until it quits then is hard to restart

Has new icp ipr and cps and new fuel filter yet problem still exist,new idm installed today 120 volt model but still same issue nothings changed at all

boggerr

Reaction score
Little helpful advice. Keep all this in one thread so everyone that tries to help knows exactly what's going on.

So this all started after running out of fuel and filling it up? Crazy question, it's definitely diesel that was put in and not gas?

littlerobert1983

Reaction score
It's hard to think think what else it could be there are numerous guys with the same issue and no one has any idea what it could be

dsberman94

Reaction score
I want to say junk is clogging up the nozzles and not atomizing fuel properly. White smoke says you have fuel entering the cylinder. Truck doesn’t inject fuel unless it sees enough ICP, so we know there’s HPO.

So that leaves low compression or bad fuel atomization. Try filling the bowl by hand and seeing if it will start for a second just for poops and grins.

littlerobert1983

Reaction score
I want to say junk is clogging up the nozzles and not atomizing fuel properly. White smoke says you have fuel entering the cylinder. Truck doesn’t inject fuel unless it sees enough ICP, so we know there’s HPO.

So that leaves low compression or bad fuel atomization. Try filling the bowl by hand and seeing if it will start for a second just for poops and grins.
I filled it numerous times that way and it runs but I've not done compression test as of yet. Do I do this test through the glow plug hole

boggerr

Reaction score
If your filling the fuel bowl up and it will run then you have a fuel delivery problem. Bad fuel pump or clog somewhere

Last edited:

littlerobert1983

Reaction score
If your filling the fuel bowl up and it will run then you have a fuel delivery problem to the bow.
I'm thinking it'd in the mechanical pump in the valley bc when the main line is pulled off on frame rail it pours out and when electric pump is hooked up it will push to top of motor

dsberman94

Reaction score
Somehow route the electric pump as straight as you can to the fuel bowl out of the tank or out of a 5 gallon can. I’d go for a 5 gallon can. Pickup in the tank might be clogged.

littlerobert1983

Reaction score
Somehow route the electric pump as straight as you can to the fuel bowl out of the tank or out of a 5 gallon can.
When I do that I still have to go through the mechanical pump in Valley and I'm not sure it's pumping to injectors at high rpms

superpsd

Reaction score
As stated above hook the electric pump up to the switch valve and have it push fuel into a bucket if it moves fuel your obvious culprit would be the mechanical pump. It's either sucking air due to cracked hose or its done for. For the price of a new pump I would just go EFuel.

rrchlin

Reaction score
OP my truck was running a good while with 0 PSI on the fuel pump but my fuel bowl would still fill up. Guys on here said the injectors would still run the truck, but just be hard on them.

I replaced the fuel pump and got 55psi immediately.. so the guage/schrader valve wasn't a fluke.

Also for all guys talking e-fuel. New Carter pumps on RiffRaffDiesel are $92. I'd much rather have my truck fixed for $92 and then convert to e-fuel. In my case I also had other issues aside from my fuel pump.

littlerobert1983

Reaction score
OP my truck was running a good while with 0 PSI on the fuel pump but my fuel bowl would still fill up. Guys on here said the injectors would still run the truck, but just be hard on them.

I replaced the fuel pump and got 55psi immediately.. so the guage/schrader valve wasn't a fluke.

Also for all guys talking e-fuel. New Carter pumps on RiffRaffDiesel are $92. I'd much rather have my truck fixed for $92 and then convert to e-fuel. In my case I also had other issues aside from my fuel pump.
My fuel tank selector is caught between tanks so I removed it and ran the lines straight to front tank return and main. What are the wires to keep the gauge working with no selector valve in place. Selector valve has stuff blocking the sours for front tank and wouldn't let fuel pass through it so I'm hoping that this will let it run correctly now. Waiting for battery's to charge and I'll know for sure

littlerobert1983

Reaction score
Little helpful advice. Keep all this in one thread so everyone that tries to help knows exactly what's going on.

So this all started after running out of fuel and filling it up? Crazy question, it's definitely diesel that was put in and not gas?
Fuel tank selector was blocked so I removed it and ran lines straight to tank to the motor waiting for battery's to charge now and will try to start later on

Latest posts

Members online