Ignition Switch Removal

kienelso

Reaction score
Attempted to search for a thread on this topic already but could not find much info. Truck (2008 F350) has been starting intermittently over the past few weeks, some days it cranks first try sometimes it won't crank for 15 attempts. Symptoms are key in and in crank position lights come on but no crank from the engine. The first few times I wiggled the key around until it started however I am sure there is more to the problem. Assuming it is the ignition switch and having ordered one I am looking to see how the old one is removed. Upon removing the column shroud it appears the tilt adjuster on the column is in the way. Is there a trick to removing this without removing the tilt mechanism. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks

Betarocker

Reaction score
There's a detent pin underneath. Have the key in the slot, poke a poker (allen key, small screwdriver, nail, etc) into the hole and turn the key. It should pull out easily.

kienelso

Reaction score
That is to remove the lock cylinder itself correct? I am looking to install the ignition switch which is directly opposite on the column.

kienelso

Reaction score
Ended up replacing ignition switch and still having issue. I have also replaced the lock cylinder itself and keyed it to my original key suspecting that it was worn out. I have also checked the starter relay which is working. The only thing left would be the starter solenoid itself correct?

Latest posts

Members online