Issues with a 12' F550

Jonnydime

Reaction score
Our 2012 F-550 got towed in last week when the driver said is just died on him and would not restart. When it came in the truck would only crank and the only code was for the crank position sensor. So we replaced that and now is where it gets kind of interesting. Now the truck will crank and you can here a skip in the motor and if you crank long enough with your foot on the floor the motor will slowly build up speed and run up to 3k rpm and then die. Our mechanic changed the fuel filters and after he cycled the key 5 or 6 times the truck fired up and idled for around 5 minutes and then died. After that it went back to the long crank skip slowly building rpm and then dying. The only new code that has popped up P2291 - Injector Control Pressure Too Low - Engine Cranking. This seems to be a fuel issue and I would just like to narrow it down to either the low pressure side or high pressure side. The truck has 140,000 miles and 14,000 hours.

sootie

Reaction score
is it stock? What diagnostic tool are you using? What is rail pressure? Commanded vs actual?

Lipka101

Reaction score
Check rail pressure while cranking. Sounds like a high pressure fuel issue to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Well... Probably time to pull the regulator off the top of the pump and see what we have there...

Jonnydime

Reaction score
Check rail pressure while cranking. Sounds like a high pressure fuel issue to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
He said it had 5600psi while cranking and that doesn't explain the fact that when he drops the lower filter and reinstalls it will fire up normally and idle for 5 minutes. After the initial start when he drops the lower filter you can cycle the key as many times as want and it will not fire unless you hold your foot to the floor and crank for 15 second's plus.

Jonnydime

Reaction score
Well... Probably time to pull the regulator off the top of the pump and see what we have there...
I asked him to put a low pressure pump on it since if it needs a hpfp we might as well do both. If that's not it I told him to start on the high pressure side.

gotchadollar

Reaction score
Sounds like a low pressure pump to me. But first Double check the fuel In the tank, even though the gauge reads, pound on the tank and see if it sounds empty. Might be worth putting 5gals in.

AirFishAutomotive

Reaction score
that tool is actually pretty good especially for price, thats a lot of hours on it, if it ends up being a hp fuel issue i would just talk them into getting a fuel decontamination kit from ford with updated style pump and be done with it, if its never had injectors etc.

Latest posts

Members online