BD Exhaust manifold kits

HeavyAssault

Reaction score
I bought a set for my 2011. Turbo started surging/fluttering under steady throttle up a hill with or without a trailer at 52-54 mph just like it's laid out in TSB 11-12-14. So while I'm in this far replacing to an updated '14 turbo and WW2 (make fun of me if you wish) I was going to do the studs and manifolds for reliability after hearing about them being fairly common to break and hopefully some performance (wasn't too much more expensive than stock replacements). I asked BD about what to expect and got a nondescript:
"Our manifolds improve on the reliability of the Ford manifold, while improving the radius’s from each cylinder."
It will be mid June before I get them in the truck but they look good in person. I can let you know more after install. I don't think I will be able to pinpoint specifics on performance of the manifold upgrade though since I have more changes going on at the same time.

Thank you. Sounds like the drive ability will be where you get the improvement. Maybe monitor the PIDs a tad more to see what changes. I know in the past my mods like this made the turbo much more driveable and had better spooling. Airflow makes it all go....LOL

6.7Bison

Reaction score
HeavyAssault,

Any specific PIDs you want me to compare? I'm struggling thinking of one that might tell me how much better the manifold is flowing. EGTs maybe? There is a back pressure measurement but I believe that is across the ***.

HeavyAssault

Reaction score
I don't know where a 2011 pulls EBP so I can't help there. I would say it's not going to be just one overall.

Fuel Pressure, Boost, EGT, EBP (if location is known), MAF. The Boost/EBP ratio would be good data to collect. If 2011 EBP is pre-turbo that would be awesome.

Post mods I'd say if the turbo/motor was more responsive there may be a drop across the board to which I'd say that shows a flow path improvement.

I know I'd pull up whatever PIDs seem reasonable with whatever device you are using. Then just data log the info. Maybe down the road there could be some targeted PID collection while dropping others off.

I got the new CTS3 which gives me plenty of data to follow. You are doing alot of mods. I doubt we could say XXXX changed it the most but the overall package can be shown to have an significant impact. Sure people want to buy one thing and get the best result. People need to realize there's more than one thing that makes great gains.

jcain

Reaction score
Doubt you see any tangible difference. The runner lengths didn't change hardly

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

HeavyAssault

Reaction score
I'd agree on a mainly stock truck. With any significant mods to the airflow path, there's going to be additional changes made....is it 100HP? No, but there's going to be change made in performance.

I liken my experiences to my 6.0L that got the basic mods done. It drove amazingly, had impressive pedal response, HP & TQ improved, and had decent MPGs.

Biggest changes for my 6.0 were with the ported intake manifold, P-Max w/single plane wheel, modded y-pipes.

6.7Bison

Reaction score
I don't know where a 2011 pulls EBP so I can't help there. I would say it's not going to be just one overall.

Fuel Pressure, Boost, EGT, EBP (if location is known), MAF. The Boost/EBP ratio would be good data to collect. If 2011 EBP is pre-turbo that would be awesome.

Post mods I'd say if the turbo/motor was more responsive there may be a drop across the board to which I'd say that shows a flow path improvement.

I know I'd pull up whatever PIDs seem reasonable with whatever device you are using. Then just data log the info. Maybe down the road there could be some targeted PID collection while dropping others off.

I got the new CTS3 which gives me plenty of data to follow. You are doing alot of mods. I doubt we could say XXXX changed it the most but the overall package can be shown to have an significant impact. Sure people want to buy one thing and get the best result. People need to realize there's more than one thing that makes great gains.

I can't find where that specific PID is being pulled from but its never gotten above 1 psi so there is no way that is drive pressure unless my truck is a miracle. I've found *** inlet pressure but from what I remember from fluids mechanics that won't tell us anything about the improvements made upstream. I will log it just in case we think we can learn anything from it's results.

I'm using a Car Scanner Pro app and a Micro Mechanic Bluetooth OBDII. Got the bluetooth connector as a grab-bag Christmas present and paid $8 for the app and I must say I am very happy with it especially for what I have in it.

I'm going to do a log of boost, fuel rate, fuel pressure, egt, vgt position, *** inlet pressure, and maf this afternoon. I did one this morning for intake air temp, boost, maf, and cac temp for the compressor wheel comparison. I will do another one involving ambient temp, intake temp, cac temp, egt, egr temp, and egr rate as I'm doing some thermal coating as well and want to see how my temps are effected.

I agree that it makes little sense to go in and swap out just the exhaust manifolds on an otherwise stock truck. But if you need to replace them anyway or have other modifications it would play well with, every little bit helps.

Reaction score
I did not read all this but I bought a set as I was putting the motor back together and I found out the stock ones were not true anymore. Did not know that but I suppose when Cody had truck getting compounds that pass side was changed to 16+. Anyway I got lucky and BD sold me the new pass side while it was still a R&D part. They are beast compared to stock.
e6b6e30519ac0a533472881f45ed1646.jpg
bc72b0330041d6c53dcb5f041d375477.jpg
553ccfaa41ff2ab56ae235aa2778f083.jpg

Believe it or not had more clearance on head studs than factory.

Black AOD

Reaction score
I did not read all this but I bought a set as I was putting the motor back together and I found out the stock ones were not true anymore. Did not know that but I suppose when Cody had truck getting compounds that pass side was changed to 16+. Anyway I got lucky and BD sold me the new pass side while it was still a R&D part. They are beast compared to stock.
bc72b0330041d6c53dcb5f041d375477.jpg
553ccfaa41ff2ab56ae235aa2778f083.jpg

Believe it or not had more clearance on head studs than factory.

Are you the guy that bought Cody Gorman's regular cab truck AKA Morgan Primm's 2011 white regular cab ?

Black AOD

Reaction score
New motor and trans, slowly going back together and redoing somethings when I have time. Now have to pull trans again and send back. Thought about trips but just need to get it back together as it is covering half my shop.
Nice. Is it still the same turbos and fueling as it had when You bought it ?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

6.7Bison

Reaction score
Here’s what I can determine about the exhaust flow improvements of the BD manifolds.
The goal is to retain exhaust energy (heat, velocity, and pressure) before the turbo, this will improve efficiency and response. So everyone is aware I replaced my turbo with an updated steel bearing SST, a wicked wheel 2, the BD manifolds, and coated the exhaust components in Zybar all at the same time. The only modification I had for both before and after was the S&B Open Air intake. Still emissions equipped and running factory tuning.
I haven’t found a good way to export the numbers off my phone so I am staring at data log graphs and reporting numbers to the best of my abilities. I’m going to do this a bit backwards and give the after numbers first in their peak form. This is because the after numbers did not reach the same peak of the before numbers for direct comparisons of each variable.

After:
Peak:
Boost 11 psi, inst fuel rate 0.11 gpm, commanded fuel rail pressure 17000 psi, commanded vgt position 30%, EGT 500 F, Fuel power 75 hp, MAP 27 psi, MAF 450 kg/hr, vgt position 45%

Before:
Peak:
Boost 14 psi, inst fuel rate 0.17 gpm, commanded fuel rail pressure 22000 psi, commanded vgt position 32%, EGT 575 F, Fuel power 120 hp, MAP 31 psi, MAF 650 kg/hr, vgt position 37%

Before:
Comparable fuel power:
Boost 10 psi, inst fuel rate 0.11 gpm, commanded fuel rail pressure 17000 psi, commanded vgt position 35%, EGT 500 F, Fuel power 75 hp, MAP 27 psi, MAF 400 kg/hr, vgt position 50%

While I recorded some higher peaks before, there doesn’t seem to be much difference in similar situations. I am flowing slightly more air and the vgt position is slightly more open. The MAF difference could have several reasons. The vgt is more telling as the vanes don’t need to be actuated as much to maintain the airflow requirements. What I don’t know is how much of this is due to a more efficient compressor wheel (lower required turbo shaft speeds to supply the same air) or the flow improvements in the manifold (higher retained exhaust velocity reaching required shaft speeds easier). From all this I gather that there are probably improvements being made even at lower power levels. It’s just really hard to quantify exactly how much and from what component. My best guess makes me lean to the conservative answer of “minimal performance improvements”. I wish I had a back pressure gauge that made sense and a better placed EGT sensor for some more direct before and after. Back to back dyno runs would also be helpful.

Overall I am happy with my upgrades. I believe they all contribute to added reliability for my truck while also improving performance and efficiency. Since I was going to be this deep into the engine valley replacing a surging turbo, I was going to do as many other upgrades in this area as I could that made sense for how I use the truck. I do not want to be that far into the engine valley again for a long time. I’m still gathering data for myself to see if I can put numbers behind the seat of the pants improvements I can feel.