Help with transmission problem

Ace00

Reaction score
don't freak on the Fluid you used it has proven itself as a decent SP/LV replacement

I would focus on the solenoids though
here is the 5r110 ATSG PDF manual link https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...0W.pdf&usg=AFQjCNFfb2_UaEkITyMXRo9sO-Fn28Wwug
I rechecked them they are in the right spot. And I made sure the EPC/PC-A had the middle locating tab and not the low. This is what it looks like.
9c4b6d02bc176cf93abe7f0e893d1042.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Ace00

Reaction score
Ok update. So I decide to put my old solenoids back in except the epc/pc-a cause I didn't want to pull the valve body back off. So I put fluid in it and now I'm back to my old original problem where when I put it in R or D it jerks and stalls but not when I put it in 1 or 2. And when I put it in 1 or 2 it doesn't stop when it pulls like the new solenoids did. So I'm guessing the problem is one of the new solenoids isnt working properly. Which would be my luck. Is this a fair assessment? And if so how do I know which one is not working properly?

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
The only way I can see this happening is if the intermediate clutch and the direct clutch are both on at the same time. If you had swapped SSPC-C and SSPC-D That would cause both clutches to come on when they should both be off.

Ace00

Reaction score
The only way I can see this happening is if the intermediate clutch and the direct clutch are both on at the same time. If you had swapped SSPC-C and SSPC-D That would cause both clutches to come on when they should both be off.
So does that mean that 2 solenoids could be bad or maybe there are multiple problems with the solenoids and something else?

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
It could mean that the solenoids for SSPC-C and SSPC-D are swapped, i.e., the solenoid that belongs in the hole for SSPC-C is the one that goes in SSPC-D and vice versa.

Ace00

Reaction score
It could mean that the solenoids for SSPC-C and SSPC-D are swapped, i.e., the solenoid that belongs in the hole for SSPC-C is the one that goes in SSPC-D and vice versa.
Ok I gotcha. But I checked and rechecked and all the solenoids are in the right spot. I wonder if I change just the SSPC-C and the
SSPC-D with the new solenoids I purchased?

powerlifter405

Reaction score
The only reason Mark asks is because he IS the 5R guru around here. There is nothing about these transmissions that he doesn't know about. If anyone can help you figure it out it's him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If memory serves me correct he was on the design team as the head engineer for the 5R110 thus I do respect his input on any of the Ford trans.

wedge542

Reaction score
How can you mix up those then,the d and a are both low tabs,the c is a high tab,cant get the c clip on if not in right spot.

wedge542

Reaction score
Mark,how can those solenoids get mixed,if in the wrong place you would not be able to get the c clips back on or is there another way?

Ace00

Reaction score
Ok so I got the problem fixed. I went to my friend at the ford dealership and told him the situation. He said he can get me all new solenoids and bring the others back and he'll mark as defective. I did and put in the other ones he gave me. My truck runs fine now with no problems. The possibility that all 7 solenoids were bad is highly unlikely but I'm almost positive at least 1 wasn't working properly. And I didn't know how to check each individual solenoid. Thanks all for the help.

wedge542

Reaction score
Mine did same thing,lock up after putting in drive,or fill like its hung in two gears like foward and reverse, id gas on it and it go and no more problems untill shut truck off,then next time same thing, changed out the d solenoid and alls well. Looks like d and a are same,d in rear center and a in front pass side of valve[solenoid]body,ohmed out great,just like new one.

Latest posts

Members online